Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2007, 01:41 PM   #16

It's official! My Viva VX200SX is on the way!

I just got off the phone with Avi at Viva Motors www.atvsimports.com. My blue Viva VX200SX will be here sometime next week. It has the matching blue aluminum wheels. After it arrives, I will be requesting the MSO and getting insurance for it. About a month ago, I put a one hundred dollar deposit on a leftover 2005 Yamaha Majesty scooter. This bike was going to be a daily driver for commuting back and forth to work. Last week, I got that deposit back from the dealer and decided to go with a china bike instead. My plan now is to use the VX200SX for commuting to work. I saved myself over 3k with purchase of the Viva. I have no unrealistic high asperations for the VX200SX, well maybe I do! We'll see how the relationship develops. If ...and that's a big IF, the bike turns out to be reliable ONLY then will I use it for commuting. I'll do local shakedown runs on it before longer treks are attempted. Me and Pumpkin will be out there making these bikes better for our use!

My first plans after receiving it and the assembly are to order new blue aluminum Renthal handlebars. I'll be ordering a set of blue Acerbis Rally Pro handguards with the aluminum stiffeners in them. New grips will also be purchased. Anything not needed will be scrapped. I'll be looking for a new better headlight assembly and ways to eliminate some wiring. The seat may also need reworking to make it more comfortable. The seat will probably get new foam and a new cover, won't really know until I get it! My thought is that a new better Gel battery will probably be needed. I have no faith in Japanese Yuasa batteries (all of mine have failed), so I'm sure the cheap Chinese battery won't last long. I've ordered some of my batteries from www.ebatteriestogo.com. They seem to be well worth the money. I also use Westco batteries in my bikes. Fork Seal Savers will be on the way shortly too. I use them on my KTM 950 and they work.

I'll post my experiences with the buying and shipping procedure here. I may start another thread after the bike arrives and post my thoughts on putting it together and my modifications!

So far, so good! The price was $1029 shipped to my door. A great deal, IMHO. I decided to go with Viva Motors because they had the bikes with the color matched aluminum wheels. The dealer in Pittsburgh, PA did not have any blue bikes and didn't expect any for a few weeks. They did not have the bikes with the color matched wheels. Something I wanted.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:58 PM   #17

Send a message via Yahoo to TheOtherRide
Congrats, Sam! Glad I could be a BAD influence...sure you don't want pink?

Old 03-23-2007, 03:23 PM   #18

I think it is going to work out well for you.

I use my Zong as a daily driver and it hasn't failed me yet, Of course I only have 500 miles on it so far.

The best upgrade I did was putting a less restrictive air intake filter in.

I wish you the best of luck.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Posted by: TheOtherRide
Congrats, Sam! Glad I could be a BAD influence...sure you don't want pink?
You were definiately a BAD influence Pauli! I LOVE pink and I always want it!

Sorry! I apologize for that!

They had the red, I mean pink ones but the blue bike will suit me better though. I already have 2 blue bikes and all my riding gear, well most of my riding gear is blue. I'm going to park the Viva right in between my '05 KTM 950 S and my '05 Yamaha WR250F.

PolygonFla,
I'm sure the Viva will be a good bike for me. Although, I don't expect it to replace either of the bikes I already have. It should be economical to ride everyday to work and back and that's all I want it for. Actually, I am very interested in starting a China Bike Riding Club in my area. The only criteria for membership will be owning a china bike. I hope to plan events and rides throughout the mountains of West Virginia. I have quite a few buddies that could spend a grand for a bike and not think twice about it. I just think it would be cool to cruise around with a bunch of guys and girls on chinese motorcycles. We modify them for our needs and how we'd like them to look. Turning, not much of a bike into something cool to have.

This is the way I feel about my new Viva!

Old 03-23-2007, 04:04 PM   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to TheOtherRide
:oops:

Oh you nasty boys! Let me get my mind out of the gutter, so yours can float by!

:twisted:

Old 03-23-2007, 04:07 PM   #21

congratulations, Pauli and Sam....I know you will enjoy your new purchases.....and best of luck with them!...........
I recently got a Roketa [end of January] for the same price, $1029,...and am well pleased........I have about 100 miles on it........
its all I have expected, considering the price..........

I have done some mods, and some improvements..........and am actually quite happy with its overall performance.

I myself am convinced by reading all these posts, one of our bikes,..is just as good as another.......its all in the way you prep and maintain it.
At the moment, I cant see the additional money for "dealer bought bikes"
when you consider some dealers are getting about twice the money we paid........Time may change this opinion when we see the dealers having vastly superior products, and warranties that compare to the Jap bikes..
but for now, I think we have all done pretty good with our internet buys......

I myself work at a Honda dealership, and would like to see dealers thrive and succeed with this new market of powersports equipment as well.
2019 Brozz 250

Old 03-23-2007, 04:23 PM   #22

Good pick, We have 2 viva's here in hawaii with about 2000km on them and no complaints. You probably will want to put the 45 rear sprocket on instead of the 56.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:34 PM   #23

I can see the extra money for a dealer bike, if you don't want, or think you may have, licensing issues. Let say if your state was very strict on what you could license. No other reason really. Parts availability maybe!

Pauli,
I was just funnin' with ya! I think it's very cool that you are getting out there on a bike. My hat is off to you. I'm not sure if you have ever ridden on the street before, don't remember seeing you post anything about that. Just keep in mind that the learning curve is steep, be careful! Every cage out there is a potential problem for you and trust nobody! Don't ride next to a car or an anyone's blind spot. I'm sure you know all this! We look forward to seeing your view and experiences with these bikes.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:37 PM   #24

yes,....I can second that for the rear sprocket change......I have a 46, with 17 front....its a great ratio for street, and Ok for light trails, too.

on our Roketas,...that combo takes a 126 link chain
2019 Brozz 250

Old 03-23-2007, 04:58 PM   #25

Actually, that's one of the first mods on my list. I just failed to mention it. The best thing to do may be to replace the chain and the sprockets all at the same time. Still looking into what to do!

Old 03-23-2007, 05:07 PM   #26

Make the jump to 520 chain, or get really familiar with the chain tightening routine.

Hint; my daughter has run her enduro season on the Honda/Lifan XR200, and the chain has only needed lube. No adjustment. There is a reason Honda spec'd a 520 chain on XR200's and CRF230's...

Old 03-24-2007, 01:02 AM   #27

Good advice! I'll do that!

Old 03-26-2007, 10:28 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1
Make the jump to 520 chain, or get really familiar with the chain tightening routine.

Hint; my daughter has run her enduro season on the Honda/Lifan XR200, and the chain has only needed lube. No adjustment. There is a reason Honda spec'd a 520 chain on XR200's and CRF230's...
I may have considered this route too if I had to replace a sprocket initially, but ours came with the 46 rear stock. So, I'll just wait until everything wears out first before considering the 520 upgrade.

Jason
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 03-26-2007, 11:25 AM   #29

Jason, have you found your HD 428 chain from JC Whitney is stretching like the stocker? I can't make up my mind what to do. Go with a 428 HD, like a DID o-ring roller, or go with the 520??? That 520 setup is a lot more rotating weight, and we're underpowered as it is, you know?
2006 Roketa RSX200E MODS: YZ250F Muffler, Airbox delete with K/N style filter, Main Jet reamed 2 sizes over, Yamaha R1 Rear clicker shock on custom scissor linkage making 8 3/4in. of rear wheel travel!!! Battery relocated under seat.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2003
Jason, have you found your HD 428 chain from JC Whitney is stretching like the stocker? I can't make up my mind what to do. Go with a 428 HD, like a DID o-ring roller, or go with the 520??? That 520 setup is a lot more rotating weight, and we're underpowered as it is, you know?
You still have a good chain? Use it! The HD is only marginally better. Now the DID chain would probably do a little better than the HD, but I guess it's all about what you want. I wasn't planning to change to 520 until I needed to change worn out sprockets. Even at 5000+ miles the need to adjust the chain every other week is not that big a deal for me. Maybe all of about 3min. add another 3min for chain lube.

Jason
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)