Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2015, 09:38 PM   #1

Head Scratching Tao Tao ATM-50A1

Hi there,
So I recently came into possession of a scooter my friend didn't want to drag back home with him after graduation. It's a 2011 Tao Tao (I believe ATM-50A1 but I'm not sure, there's no real identification I can find.) Anyways I really want to try my hand at getting the most performance I can out of it without doing a big bore kit as I've read those have a high chance of causing damage to the engine. I've found some information here and there but not really a concise guide of everything that should be done. I don't have any experience with scooters and honestly don't even know how their engines work as I'm used to only working with cars and even then I haven't messed around in their engines that much either. Basically I need to learn how a scooter's engine works and also what can be done to maximize it's performance without major changes to the engine itself. Thanks for your time!

Old 08-27-2015, 11:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astray View Post
...a big bore kit as I've read those have a high chance of causing damage to the engine...
Those "kit" are in different price
1:100% Taiwanese
2:Barrel (as bike's OEM)+ piston (BiG player of the industry ) + rings (BiG player of the industry) https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=35542063530
3:Barrel (OKish)+ piston (BiG player of the industry ) + rings (BiG player of the industry) https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=39034191868
4:Barrel (???) + piston (???) + rings (???) *Often on fleabay ...

Chinese mechanic loves #2&3 cuz it won't F***ed their praise among customers ...

Old 08-27-2015, 11:37 PM   #3

Could you elaborate a bit more? I don't know what you're trying to say about the big bore kits you listed. I also don't know why you listed those in that order either, is #1 the best and #4 the worst?

Old 08-28-2015, 12:24 AM   #4

Yes, I think the order is from best to worst. I'd focus on #2.

Open the link in Google Chrome, and allow it to translate. You'll be pleasantly shocked by the prices.

I wouldn't hesitate to poke out a 50 to 70 with a big bore kit. I haven't actually tried it yet. Read about my adventures with a 50 here: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=9421

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-28-2015, 12:52 AM   #5

Buy from reputable seller that recommend in scooter forums since most don't show marks clearly on their picture ...
Rings also cames in different grade: regular [as stock]/ CID http://www.dongya.cn/en/intro.asp?aic=9 [~1.5x the cost of regular] | PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) [~2x the cost of CID]

Old 08-28-2015, 01:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Yes, I think the order is from best to worst. I'd focus on #2.

Open the link in Google Chrome, and allow it to translate. You'll be pleasantly shocked by the prices.

I wouldn't hesitate to poke out a 50 to 70 with a big bore kit. I haven't actually tried it yet. Read about my adventures with a 50 here: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=9421
The prices are nice, but I only see kits for 60 and 80, not 70. Also using translate is still difficult to tell which options to pick and where to check out. I did read your thread before, where did you get your muffler/exhaust from? Also I have no idea what the exhaust valve is and why you had to modify it to 0.004" (how do you measure this anyways, caliper?). Also what does the variator do? There's too many terms being used that I just don't know yet when it comes to scooters and their engines.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:09 AM   #7

Oh also forgot to mention but the speedometer and odometer don't work either.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:28 AM   #8

Those are chinese marketing terms
GY60:44mm ie.63cc | GY80: 47mm ie. 72cc

Old 08-28-2015, 01:36 AM   #9

Oh okay, so I guess the GY80 sounds good, now where do I get the rings? I'd rather spend a bit more for higher quality if it'll reduce the risk of damage.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:19 AM   #10

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=40158406458

Old 08-28-2015, 02:43 AM   #11

Fantastic, can you confirm which options I want to select when purchasing for each of the items?

For the big bore kit should I get the "80 sets of cylinder combination" or "80 modified 100 sets of cylinder"?

For the rings should I get the "GY6-60 Φ44"or a different one?

Both of those I used the English translation function of google so it's almost definitely not accurate.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:21 AM   #12

That 100 means Honda "GCC" family (SCR100...) 50.0*52.0 ie. 81cc in GY6 (Stroke: 41.4) . Better ring is difficult to get in China.
72cc Φ47 1.0*1.0*2.0 Tons horizontal (pit bike/ cub...) also this size...
Φ44 http://www.dongya.cn/prodlist.asp?page=1&tp=4&keywords=
Generic GY60 is 1.0*1.0*2.0 BUT that shop IS using CB125T/CM125 (ie. those 125 twins): 1.0*1.0*2.5 instead (it MAY work...)

Old 08-28-2015, 03:39 AM   #13

I think I'm more confused now lol my lack of knowledge is making the language barrier even more difficult

Old 08-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astray View Post
I did read your thread before, where did you get your muffler/exhaust from? Also I have no idea what the exhaust valve is and why you had to modify it to 0.004" (how do you measure this anyways, caliper?). Also what does the variator do? There's too many terms being used that I just don't know yet when it comes to scooters and their engines.
The muffler came from a 200cc quad; it was perfectly sized for a 50cc engine, which is exactly why it's no longer on the quad.

Go to Youtube, and search for setting valves on a 50cc scooter. While you're at it, search for scooter CVT and variator, so you can see how they work.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-28-2015, 09:39 PM   #15

Like any other engine, it is an air pump. They respond well to opening up the intake and exhaust. The "high performance" CDIs and coils don't really seem to do much. I just changed the main jet on a 50CC and it runs so much better. They are way lean from the factory.