Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2009, 01:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
That could hurt the bike if you have the no rev limiter CDI (and believe in it). Even without it, just winding the snot out of it one gear...why risk it?

What do you think of timing it instead? Maybe an 1/8 mile, or even just "from here to the stop sign" type of thing? Most every cell phone made these days has a stop watch function and you & Stew could work in tandem, one on the bike, one on the watch, thens vice-versa

Just a thought
I think time would be challenging. If you think about drag cars over a 1/4 mile, a second improvement takes some pretty good HP increases, if you reduce the length of the 'test strip', how much time improvement will you see? Then you need to factor in driver error. With no tachometer, tough to know if your shift points are similar etc..

I think the answer W&G is an accerormeter like we discussed. Cool toy and the high end ones would give you 1/8, 0-60 times etc.. Not exactly a cheap way to do it.

The 'fire road' at Nickelmine would be a good dragstrip if not for the nasty bumps.

It's making me wish I still had access to Pemberton and the runway!! ..but I digress.

Sorry for the damn post flood and hijacking this thread on carbs, I'm feeling wordy tonight.
True, true...easy to get a car in the 12's...50X harder to see 10's...but realisticly this is all seat of the pants stuff unless we haul out a Lidar gun or something....was thinking of the easist way on the machinery

Old 10-27-2009, 01:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Whoa. 8O 50mph is too much for me on a Beast on a dirt road.

I hit 4th and let it go for about 5 or 6 seconds til the pucker factor hit. I have no proof, but it seemed like 50 (or close) to me. It was buzzing pretty good. For now I'll just call it 45mph, but those front tires were getting AWFULLY tall looking

The coil wire simply unscrews from the coil. Peel back the boot where the wire meets the coil, and unscrew the wire. There is a stud inside the coil that the wire screws on to; no tools are needed. The 026-2714-0 fits great.
Is your NGK wire fatter than the stocker I guess is what I'm asking?
Thanks for the stud info inside the coil!

Old 10-27-2009, 01:47 AM   #18

I just remembered: I once read an article about how surpisingly accurate the Hot Wheels radar guns are (yes, really). We could easily pick a starting point and a finish line and check for top speed at a specific point without reaching actual top speed of the quad. We could do several runs with a particular setup to establish a baseline for each combo.

I can't believe I just said all of that. I'm taking this waaay too seriously.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-27-2009, 01:55 AM   #19

Quote:
I just remembered: I once read an article about how surpisingly accurate the Hot Wheels radar guns are (yes, really). We could easily pick a starting point and a finish line and check for top speed at a specific point without reaching actual top speed of the quad. We could do several runs with a particular setup to establish a baseline for each combo.

Hey, I just thought of something. I think my GPS might be the answer.

It has a 'trip top speed' function, you can reset it manually.

You just zero it, do a run, stop and look at the information. It gives you like "moving time' , 'stopped time', 'top speed' etc and it's accurate. I did this on my YZ in Pemberton wondering how fast I was going. I even think it'll tell you how far you travelled, even without being on a road.

You can stick it in your pocket, do a pre determined run, record your times and speed... change your settings, reset the GPS, and do another run.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:00 AM   #20

The Hot Wheels one is gonna be tough to live down bro......

Old 10-27-2009, 02:03 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:

Hey, I just thought of something. I think my GPS might be the answer.

It has a 'trip top speed' function, you can reset it manually.

You just zero it, do a run, stop and look at the information. It gives you like "moving time' , 'stopped time', 'top speed' etc and it's accurate. I did this on my YZ in Pemberton wondering how fast I was going. I even think it'll tell you how far you travelled, even without being on a road.

You can stick it in your pocket, do a pre determined run, record your times and speed... change your settings, reset the GPS, and do another run.
Anyone have a Blackberry? Even if you dont have a GPS app you can still use BB Maps for rudimentry functions.

Stew, your GPS device is much better suited to this than a Blackberry come to think of it. Garmin?

Old 10-27-2009, 02:04 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
The Hot Wheels one is gonna be tough to live down bro......
Hahaha!!!

I think my nephew has one of those.. not sure if it still works though.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:08 AM   #23

Now I gotta buy one...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Hot-Wheels-Speed-...item3ef9a02acb

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-27-2009, 02:13 AM   #24

Quote:
Use caution...nowhere in that listing do I see the the word "working" or "functional"...but then again, I'm cynical.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:15 AM   #25

Quote:
Oh man I can hear it now.. We'll be in the trails and some guys on their jap quads will come by..

"aww man, look at those dweebs with their china quads AND a hot wheels radar gun! Looooooooserrrrs.." 8)

Gotta have a sense of humour.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:24 AM   #26

We better buy a couple of those Gio ball caps to complete the image.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:24 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD

Anyone have a Blackberry? Even if you dont have a GPS app you can still use BB Maps for rudimentry functions.

Stew, your GPS device is much better suited to this than a Blackberry come to think of it. Garmin?
Hey Pete,

You're getting me confused with MICrider, who is Stew, and who started this thread we've so eloquently hijacked into a speed testing discussion. It got a little hectic so easy to do! I try to keep my real name out of the public forums, (for reasons I still don't know just do ) but if you check our PM you'll jog your memory!

I do have a Blackberry with the GPS ap, but where W&G ride there is no cell coverage, and when I tried to load it there it flashed at me that it wouldn't work without it... it struck me as odd at the time, since GPS should be seperate from cell coverage.. I'm thinking perhaps it locates the maps via the cell network as to not store them in the phones memory, and just shuts itself down without the coverage.

My GPS is a Garmin yes, and it probably does way more than I use it for.. but I know it has the functions I mentioned before and is quite accurate.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:26 AM   #28

Quote:
Geeze chap I just about pissed myself laughing at that comment.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:27 AM   #29

Quote:
OK, we're even for the Hot Wheels thing now....I know you saw that in a pic so dont play all innocent with me

EDIT: TurboT, yes, I got confused, sorry about that. Some of the carriers apps "cheat" and use cell towers for location. Other ones use the real deal and search for birds.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:35 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
Quote:
OK, we're even for the Hot Wheels thing now....I know you saw that in a pic so dont play all innocent with me

EDIT: TurboT, yes, I got confused, sorry about that. Some of the carriers apps "cheat" and use cell towers for location. Other ones use the real deal and search for birds.
PCD chap, if you ever get out to BC all three of us need to have some pops and a laugh.

After I thought about the cell/gps thing it made sense to me, so you can chalk Telus up as a cheater on the GPS ap. Or perhaps its Blackberry itself who's cheating with their programming.