Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2018, 10:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Is the rear frame of the TT strong enough for real panniers and racks?

There is the frameless U shaped bags that are offered by GL and Wolfman. They sit on the rear seat and strap down to the passenger pegs or there abouts.
http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/...coyote-rolltop

https://wolfmanluggage.com/collectio...-plus-rear-bag

Not my pic. Stolen from duckduckgoimages.

I've actually got a similar bag. I'm going to try and mount it up soon and see how it fits.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitcoinDood View Post
I'm thinking about ordering a welder from Harbor Freight now just for this purpose. Haven't welded since high school, but think with a few practice runs, I can make it work.
I heartily encourage a welder with infinite voltage control and MIG process. I haven't tried the new Vulcan welder from HF, but it's nearly twice the money as this:
https://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-...5a-output.html
I've used the Eastwood 135 a few times and found it to be a capable little machine. Keep the wire size to 0.025" and use 75/25 Argo/CO2 gas; you'll be pleased with the results. Check online for a coupon.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-27-2018, 01:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChondaChondaChonda View Post
I run the Giant Loop on the back. They hold quite a bit.

For some extended camping overnighters I ordered these from ebay and have been pleasantly surprised for the price ($15):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-A...72.m2749.l2649

Attachment 13065

Attachment 13066

Thanks, those look pretty cool. Like the price too. I'm going to have to look into those.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:28 AM   #19

when I get off my ass I'm going to mount a tool tube where the stock tool box is. Whether or not I put a fuel bottle or tools in it depends on my mission. For bags, for a bike this small and underpowered, I do not like putting soft bags on both sides. The Muffler makes the right side bag stick out too far. Once I finish my tool tube install, I'll work on installing a soft bag on the left side only. That plus a magneic tank bag and the stock luggage rack is plenty for me.

Old 06-26-2020, 11:32 PM   #20

Here is the rack I made..I use Nelson-Rigg soft panniers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitcoinDood View Post
I ordered a new TT 250 last week and it should be arriving by the weekend. I'm really excited and I've already began researching how to outfit the bike with Panniers & luggage racks. So far I'll probably go with the CSC luggage rack that can be ordered from their website. I'm a bit stuck on a pannier system though.

Anyone have any suggestions on ways to outfit the tt250 with Panniers? Has anyone modified the RX3 panniers to work on the TT250? I'm not adverse to building the rack myself. Would prefer an inexpensive bolt on solution though. Would also like to add a Rotopax fuel can system to it.

I'm planning on riding the TT250 through parts of Moab Ut & Colorado and need to load up on fuel and camping gear. Any suggestions or links to Pannier rack designs would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Here is the rack I made..I use Nelson-Rigg soft panniers (27.5 Liters each). I used 3/4" EMT and specialty connectors and shrink tube from Makerpipe.com Somewhere in a Chinarider thread I have the measurements and a description of the mounting connections to the frame and passenger foot-peg (that was deleted).

Both sides are identical, but the mounting connections on the right are about 1" longer. After these photos were taken I had to move the exhaust out 3/4" so my 120/90 rear tire would clear the muffler ...so the rack had to move out too.

I am street only, as you can tell by the tires. If I were to use this rack for off-road, then I will drill and cotter-pin the connectors; as they are technically friction fit. However, in 700 miles of pot-holey Denver streets the rack is still completely tight. The shrink-tube provides quite a bit of sticky grip when you tighten down the connectors all the way.

The last photo is a grocery run with the panniers fully un-folded for maximum capacity. I had 50 lbs of groceries...in what I figure was about 40 Liters per side.

The nice thing about this set-up is that the rack doesn't take vertical load, because the panniers have straps that connect them under the seat. So, they are there to hold the panniers in place and keep them from sagging into toward the wheel at the bottom...like soft panniers always do.

Note that the EMT LB connectors on the rear crossover pipe were temporary to get the project done. I replaced with a couple of makerpipe connectors and endcaps later to clean things up. I just hadn't ordered enough connectors for how the design unfolded.

As far as the CSC tail rack...I would also get one if I was off-roading. It is a perfect place to put a Rotopax. I found that very much weight up high is not very good. One of my early tries at hauling stuff was putting a folding milk crate back there...the first turn fully loaded nearly yanked me over! That is why I changed out to panniers....to keep the load low. If you do want to carry even more though...a dry bag will strap right on over the top of the panniers.

Cost was about $90 for the rack and $160+shipping for the panniers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rack no panniers-1.jpg (71.3 KB, 778 views)
File Type: jpg rack no panniers-left.jpg (76.4 KB, 725 views)
File Type: jpg close up of foot peg mount.jpg (61.7 KB, 685 views)
File Type: jpg front-side right.jpg (73.8 KB, 854 views)
File Type: jpg Groceries-2.jpg (57.7 KB, 672 views)

Orion RXB 150XL

Old 06-27-2020, 12:05 AM   #21

If you can weld...I used this rack as the model for mine

If you can weld...I used this rack as the model for mine...that I made up with makerpipe (since I can't weld). This rack is on a DR650 that I found a photo of on-line.

You could still use the same mounting points I did: rear foot-peg thread, hole in frame where the rear side plastic pin goes in (cutting off part of the plastic to expose it and eliminating the pin), and the rear turn signal mounting point on the grab-rail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dr650 pannier rack.jpg (79.1 KB, 777 views)
File Type: jpg dr650 pannier rack-4.jpg (100.3 KB, 805 views)

Orion RXB 150XL

Tags
csc, luggage, panniers, rotopax, tt250