Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2021, 10:36 AM   #301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
Culcune, Here's a bike you might be interested in. I could pick it up here in GA, get it running, and then ship it off to you. As much as I would like to do this ride again, I'm afraid I'm going to have to tap out. I don't have the ability to leave everything here long enough to ride out there, do the ride, and then ride back. They were certainly fun rides, though!
Thanks for the tip! I am in a perpetual wait and see mode, however, but did find a Bashan Storm on the peer-to-peer rental group for about $50 to $70 for a one-day rental, which would be definitely keeping in spirit of a Chinariders group ride. In fact, IF things start getting back to normal this fall, I might invest in a Lifan X-Pect to rent out to snowbirds here in Yuma, and possibly even get into offroad bikes and quads (i.e. Kayo, Pitster/GPX, or Orion). I want to see if there is enough business and if these bikes will hold up to abuse from renters to justify keeping them around to rent out.

Rentals is what revived my interest in the two-year annual S to W ride. I had thought about it months ago before I found the bike, but with Musictrek not active and you moved away, I thought the ride was dead. But, when looking on Turo for a rental car for Chicago last month, I happened upon Riders Share and another company, and found the dual-sport there. Then I put two and two together. Even if I cannot put together a group ride, I will probably rent the bike one of these weeks as I have yet to ride any of the Bashan bikes. How is everything going in Georgia? It must have been nice to get back to 'home' vs. the impersonal Phoenix metropolitan area. You are not the only one I have heard of badmouthing and/or moving away from there. Funny enough, I am really looking into going back to L.A., but that is another story for another time.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-01-2021, 11:07 PM   #302

Quote:
Hey, it's a Honda!!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 09-02-2021, 07:48 PM   #303

I'm interested in a trail ride, but would be bringing a non-Chinese bike; sold mine and upgraded to a KTM 390 Adv.

Old 09-04-2021, 06:14 AM   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Thanks for the tip! I am in a perpetual wait and see mode, however, but did find a Bashan Storm on the peer-to-peer rental group for about $50 to $70 for a one-day rental, which would be definitely keeping in spirit of a Chinariders group ride. In fact, IF things start getting back to normal this fall, I might invest in a Lifan X-Pect to rent out to snowbirds here in Yuma, and possibly even get into offroad bikes and quads (i.e. Kayo, Pitster/GPX, or Orion). I want to see if there is enough business and if these bikes will hold up to abuse from renters to justify keeping them around to rent out.

Rentals is what revived my interest in the two-year annual S to W ride. I had thought about it months ago before I found the bike, but with Musictrek not active and you moved away, I thought the ride was dead. But, when looking on Turo for a rental car for Chicago last month, I happened upon Riders Share and another company, and found the dual-sport there. Then I put two and two together. Even if I cannot put together a group ride, I will probably rent the bike one of these weeks as I have yet to ride any of the Bashan bikes. How is everything going in Georgia? It must have been nice to get back to 'home' vs. the impersonal Phoenix metropolitan area. You are not the only one I have heard of badmouthing and/or moving away from there. Funny enough, I am really looking into going back to L.A., but that is another story for another time.
Right off the bat, I'm going to tell you the liability with back-country rentals in the desert is going to be a major obstacle. Let me lay out a scenario with you, and just show how quickly things might go wrong.

Let's say you rent someone a dual sport motorcycle for a day trip somewhere.

Situation 1) they lay it down in the sugar sand and get hurt. They weren't prepared for the trip in the first place, and don't have any water or equipment with them, and no cell signal or they're too seriously injured to even use the cell phone. On top of that, they're hopelessly lost, and couldn't even tell the rescue teams where they are. When they finally do the recovery, who do you think the family is going to come after? It's going to be your fault because you rented a motorcycle to someone who was a complete burke, and you should have known better than to rent to someone with that little experience, blah, blah, blah, insert long drawn out attorney's notices here. Doesn't end well for you...

Situation 2) they take the bike and it breaks down on the trail somewhere. They're not hurt, just stranded. Luckily for you though, they were riding with some friends. So they just push the POS China bike off onto the side of the trail and leave it there for you, and ride back dutch with their buddies. Now when they get back, they demand a full refund because you rented them a broken down basket case of a China bike, and it was such an inconvenience being stuck on the trail instead of riding (more like abusing your equipment) with their friends. And, oh yeah, don't forget you have to go out on the trail to get your bike back, and hope that you can find it or that it's even still there.

All things being equal, the fastest way to make a small fortune in that type of rental arena is to start with a large fortune. I really think trying to break into a niche rental market like that in the Phoenix area is going to a lesson in legal terms and how overall terrible people can be.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 09-05-2021, 01:19 PM   #305

Oh, are yall talking about doing this again?
Since Ive been daily-ing Whitey (icebear champion)
I think he should be reliable enough this time around.
Just need to know a week or so before hand,
Then I'm in.
J

Old 09-05-2021, 04:06 PM   #306

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduder View Post
Oh, are yall talking about doing this again?
Since Ive been daily-ing Whitey (icebear champion)
I think he should be reliable enough this time around.
Just need to know a week or so before hand,
Then I'm in.
J
I would like to try to get this thing going again.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 09-05-2021, 04:12 PM   #307

Quote:
Right off the bat, I'm going to tell you the liability with back-country rentals in the desert is going to be a major obstacle. Let me lay out a scenario with you, and just show how quickly things might go wrong.
All good points. I had been considering doing rental/purchases for people planning to ride south into Mexico and points further south for years. A guy on Horizonsunlimited does this out of Peru with Chinese bikes, but from what I understand, an American registration is great for most Central and South American countries as far as selling peer to peer. With these peer to peer rentals, it opened up a realm of possibilities.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 09-06-2021, 08:27 AM   #308

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
All good points. I had been considering doing rental/purchases for people planning to ride south into Mexico and points further south for years. A guy on Horizonsunlimited does this out of Peru with Chinese bikes, but from what I understand, an American registration is great for most Central and South American countries as far as selling peer to peer. With these peer to peer rentals, it opened up a realm of possibilities.
The registration will be ok, but you'll need Mexico-specific insurance. Insurance from the states isn't accepted down there, and most insurers up here won't cover any losses down there. There are a couple places that write dual policies, but generally speaking it'll be easier to work with a Mexican insurer down there. Especially if you're planning to put together a fleet of bikes to go down.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 09-10-2021, 11:32 PM   #309

Wickenburg 2021

Well hello all, long time no see. Hope all doing well. Any interest in doing a 2021 ride to Wickenburg?

Old 09-11-2021, 11:16 AM   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musictrek View Post
Well hello all, long time no see. Hope all doing well. Any interest in doing a 2021 ride to Wickenburg?
When and where?? I think I can rent an actual Chinese bike from one of the peer to peer rental sites unless it falls apart by the time of the ride

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 09-15-2021, 08:46 PM   #311

As a snowbird, I plan on getting a bike for use in Chandler. I'd like the join you guys on this trip if I get one in time.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:19 PM   #312

Quote:
This sounds awesome. I'm in the Buckeye area.

Old 10-05-2021, 10:19 AM   #313

Quote:
I'm in
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 10-06-2021, 11:56 AM   #314

what does Nov 6th look like for everyone as a date for the ride?
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 10-06-2021, 02:30 PM   #315

Fine for me!

Tags
250, wickenburg