Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX4
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2020, 02:30 PM   #211

I am putting around 700 miles a month on my RX4. I should hit 2,000 miles in a week or so. Mostly commuting to and from work here in SoCal. It is a blast to ride. I have a short stretch of freeway, then some busy city streets. That stretch of freeway is a lot more enjoyable now then it was when I used an RX3 for commuting. How many people can say that the commute is the best part of their day? I can!

Old 02-05-2020, 01:43 AM   #212

I used to commute from Hacienda Heights to Tustin on an Elsinore 250. Traffic and commuting is one of the reasons I escaped from CA. A dual sport or adventure is definitely the best way to deal with it though!

Old 02-07-2020, 11:31 AM   #213

Thumbs Up $400 Price Drop

Hey all, just an FYI - I just got an email from CSC stating that effective February 12, they are dropping the price on the RX4 by $400, to $4995. They are also giving all of the RX4 early adopters a $400 credit, good for anything that CSC sells. Woohoo, I've got money to spend! I might just have to pick up the TourFella side cases and racks, to go with the top case that I currently have on the bike. Nice of them to do this, especially since it has been nearly 5 months since I bought the bike and they were under no obligation to do so. This is yet another reminder of why I enjoy dealing with CSC so much, instead of a local mainstream motorcycle dealership.

Old 02-08-2020, 05:39 PM   #214

Time to change the title of this thread?

Old 02-09-2020, 11:28 AM   #215

$5495 for RX4 (new Title)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Time to change the title of this thread?
Okay, here is the New Title for this LESS EXPENSIVE motorcycle!

ā€œ$5495 for RX4ā€

Old 03-17-2020, 09:45 PM   #216

My RX4 now has 2,500 miles on it now and is running great. I noticed the gear shift lever was feeling a little loose and easily tightened it back up with a 5mm allen wrench.

Old 03-18-2020, 06:22 PM   #217

I haven't had mine out yet, though the RX3 has been getting in plenty of reps this winter. I just finished installing my auxiliary lights and fabricating an electrical wiring harness for my KOSO Apollo heated grips and 5 way SAE lead. I also incorporated a couple of extra circuits for future use, if needed. With this harness, I only have two ring terminals attaching to the battery on each post (OEM and my custom harness), so this makes things a lot simpler and leaves less room for things to go wrong.

I still need to reupholster the seat and fix the clutch lever micro switch boss. I should be able to get those knocked out this week. Then I just have to wait out the rain, which is due to clear out on Saturday. Temperatures will be in the 30's and 40's F, so the hand guards and heated grips will get thoroughly tested.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:42 PM   #218

Freeway speeds

I rode my RX3 for many years on the So Cal freeways. It was perfect.
Small, light enough, easy to split lanes in the terrible traffic.
I was never going 100 mph like the Ninja guys,
but I was never going 0 mph like the rest of the traffic.
I could always get around. It was perfect.

Now I have the RX4 and there is no one on the freeway due to Covid 19.
The freeways are wide open and everyone is going 80 mph.
That would have been uncomfortable on the RX3, but the RX4 is perfect.
I am easily keeping up with traffic in the low 80's mph at 7000 rpm.
Getting close to 3,000 miles on the RX4 now. It is awesome.

Old 04-18-2020, 01:13 PM   #219

Any issue or advice for running a new bike home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
I rode my RX-4 back from Azusa in a two day run Wed-Thu last week. When I spec'd the bike out, I put everything on it that was available. I'm very glad that I upgraded the seat, to the Seat Concepts version. I've had SC seats on other bikes and have never been disappointed. The Apollo heated grips were another upgrade that is worth its weight.

The bike ran fine during the trip, I put 390 miles on it, taking secondary highways back to Las Vegas. My other bike is a 317lb Honda CB300R. It took a minute getting used to the extra 100 plus pounds. I'm already planning a trip to Phoenix and Tucson for later this month, or the first of next month.

I don't intend to use this on the dirt that much, gravel or smooth dirt. I think this is the touring bike I've been looking for. My experience at CSC was great! Everybody is very helpful and friendly. I'd like to get a TT250 and a San Gabriel sometime.
Hello,

While I am not quite ready to buy yet, I am thinking of doing what you did and pick up the bike in Azusa to ride home. My ride would be a bit longer; to Denver.

Do you think there is any issue with running a new bike for such a trip (1000 miles, lots of up and down altitude changes thru Utah, then the Continental Divide in Colorado)?

I know I would need to do an oil change half-way, but I would be stopping anyway for the night at close to 500 miles (I figure on 3 days of 325/day, so at the end of day 2 do an oil change).

Did CSC give you any advice?

Thanks,

Goob

Orion RXB 150XL

Old 04-19-2020, 11:01 AM   #220

Don't Sweat The Oil Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goob View Post
Do you think there is any issue with running a new bike for such a trip (1000 miles, lots of up and down altitude changes thru Utah, then the Continental Divide in Colorado)?

I know I would need to do an oil change half-way, but I would be stopping anyway for the night at close to 500 miles (I figure on 3 days of 325/day, so at the end of day 2 do an oil change).
I wouldn't stress out too much about doing the oil change at 500 miles; I waited until I hit 750 on mine and it didn't harm the engine. I'm confidant that you can go the 1000 miles without doing an oil change until you get home. The important thing will be to avoid holding a constant throttle while heading back from CSC. The engine will need lots of acceleration and deceleration cycles, in order to wear in the rings properly, thus avoiding sealing issues that could lead to oil burning. You might want to consider planning your route with lots of two lane back roads, especially for the first 500 miles, in order to get a good engine break in. After those first 500 miles you should be good to hit the interstates for long stretches; though I would still be varying the throttle a lot, where traffic conditions allowed (slow down, then full throttle acceleration, roll off throttle for full engine braking, then back to cruising speed). With traffic being super light at the moment due to the pandemic shutdown, you probably won't have a better opportunity than now to do this.

Old 04-20-2020, 02:48 PM   #221

Goob, a 1000 mile break in ride should not be a problem if you follow the suggestions already mentioned. Just to be on the safe side, I'd carry a quart of 10W50 non synthetic oil. Check the level daily and add as necessary. You probably won't need more than a small amount but it's always better to have the oil than need it...only to find the stores closed.

Peter Y.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:37 PM   #222

Just purchased a RX4, any owners here know the handlebar diameter? I want to buy a new Pro Taper but unsure which. As soon as it gets here by the end of the month I want to install. Thanks for the help ahead of time!!! ��

Old 05-12-2020, 10:32 AM   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by iswearimstock View Post
Just purchased a RX4, any owners here know the handlebar diameter? I want to buy a new Pro Taper but unsure which. As soon as it gets here by the end of the month I want to install. Thanks for the help ahead of time!!! ��
Just normal taper Iā€™m sure

Old 05-12-2020, 12:45 PM   #224

What taper on the RX4 bars

I measured mine for you; 27.5mm at the triple tree, 22.5mm at the grips.

Old 05-24-2020, 03:39 PM   #225

Thank you so much!