Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2023, 04:42 PM   #1

hawk update

Performed valve adjustments today. The odometer reads 3400 miles. This marks the second valve adjustment, prompted by increased noise from the engine. Additionally, I have upgraded to an x-ring chain, replacing the stock chain that performed reliably. Ever since the installation of the economical tachometer/hour meter, I've logged approximately 60.1 hours of operation. Notably, there has been no noticeable oil consumption. Some minor clutch refinements were necessary, alongside the tightening of the speedo cable which had become loose and ceased functioning.

Nonetheless, my satisfaction with the motorcycle remains high. It surpasses my previous experience with the Gy-5 model in all aspects except for vibration, where the Gy-5 had a slight edge.

Old 08-25-2023, 12:31 AM   #2

doing more stuff.

Last edited by Zapkin; 09-02-2023 at 06:36 PM. Reason: trying to be less of a whiny bee with an itch

Old 08-25-2023, 12:31 AM   #3

i will be back when I get my mind settled and can be more constructive.

Old 08-25-2023, 07:39 AM   #4

You are definitely racking up the miles pretty fast. I figure the rear tire is getting pretty thin in the skin. I still have the stock cluster on my TBR7, and a couple weeks ago, I noticed that threaded ring the holds the speedO cable to the speedO ,is off, and just along for the ride. My SpeedO is still working fine, but I need to re attach it.

Old 08-25-2023, 08:34 AM   #5

first off....you're riding the heck out of that thing! good for you! I wish I had enough time on my hands to put that many miles on my KLR. My goldwing gets miles, but that's only because I get to ride it to work all the time. And now, beside the KLR, I finally have my Intruder project licensed and on the road. The goldwing may have to share some work miles with the Intruder for now.

Keep riding and having fun on that thing. it sounds like it's holding up just fine for you. I wonder how many miles you'll put on it!

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.

Old 08-25-2023, 07:29 PM   #6

Stop being so self deprecating for a start.

Everyone is a little bit crazy.

Nobody is perfect especially the people who believe they are perfect.

Just please try to keep all your specific bike posts to the 1 thread.

It stops the forums becoming a bloated mess of random posts and search results.

Old 09-02-2023, 06:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
Stop being so self deprecating for a start.

Everyone is a little bit crazy.

Nobody is perfect especially the people who believe they are perfect.

Just please try to keep all your specific bike posts to the 1 thread.

It stops the forums becoming a bloated mess of random posts and search results.
will do.

Old 09-02-2023, 06:16 PM   #8

new upgrades

New additions to the Hawk: handguards, seat cover, Nibbi carb. It starts, idles, and runs a little better with the new carb. Also, received a fuel filter with it and other stuff I don't need, but redundancy is good, right? I feel like there is a slight increase in power, nothing to freak out about, but noticeable. I want to get an exhaust, but I like it being quiet. Oh well, I'm learning, fellas. If I wouldn't smoke before working on it, it would take me half as much time because I keep doing stupid crap. Oh well, I'm learning!!!! Thanks for all the help. Will keep this as my thread.

approaching 4000 units.

Old 09-02-2023, 06:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
first off....you're riding the heck out of that thing! good for you! I wish I had enough time on my hands to put that many miles on my KLR. My goldwing gets miles, but that's only because I get to ride it to work all the time. And now, beside the KLR, I finally have my Intruder project licensed and on the road. The goldwing may have to share some work miles with the Intruder for now.

Keep riding and having fun on that thing. it sounds like it's holding up just fine for you. I wonder how many miles you'll put on it!
it is my daily driver. not looking forward to winter.

Old 09-02-2023, 06:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
You are definitely racking up the miles pretty fast. I figure the rear tire is getting pretty thin in the skin. I still have the stock cluster on my TBR7, and a couple weeks ago, I noticed that threaded ring the holds the speedO cable to the speedO ,is off, and just along for the ride. My SpeedO is still working fine, but I need to re attach it.
the tire is holding up okay. I am going to get every mile out of it I can and then put a more dual-sport type tire on the back. The front is great, but it doesn't have my big booty on it. hehehe.

Old 09-02-2023, 06:49 PM   #11

I am pretty much babying this thing so I too am curious about how many miles I will get. The transmission seems okay, it doesn't burn any oil and I gotta say I'm pretty dang impressed..

Old 09-02-2023, 08:07 PM   #12

Boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapkin View Post
the tire is holding up okay. I am going to get every mile out of it I can and then put a more dual-sport type tire on the back. The front is great, but it doesn't have my big booty on it. hehehe.
Mine (rear tire)is holding up surprising good too. I don't baby mine, but I try not to abuse the bike, mainly because of the reputation of the rims. I like both my TBR7 and Hawk, but I honestly think the Hawk was probably a better bike right off the line. I have a little more power on the 7 now, but I think that both bikes were equal in power , until I did the head, and the 4 degree key. I think I just lost a little love for the 7, because I was having to work on it lately. It never did have anything majorly wrong with it, but I drove the bike for a year, and never had the tank off, and then I had to replace the throttle cable, so I did the head, while I waited for the cable, and was tickled that I finally got around to doing it. I rode the bike a few times, and it started acting up, and off comes the tank again. It was probably the coil not being grounded properly, but I don't know if it was that, or some water in the gas, or just a wire connector. Either way I got that took care of, but thought that I would order a new coil, and CDI, and as soon as I tried the bike with the new CDI, it acted like it wasn't wanting to turn over very good with the electric start, almost like the timing was too high, so I put my old CDI back on, and it acted the same. I was able to kick start it, and it ran already, so I went for a ride, and noticed that my gas gauge was moving like a tach, and come to find out it was because of the way I rerouted my inductive tachometer wire to be neater when I had the tank off, so off comes the tank again. I don't really think the CDI was behind the cranking issue. I think it was just a coincidence that the battery died . I ordered a new battery, and it seems alright, and looking back on it, I do seem to remember the TBR7 starter would kinda almost stop briefly, and then start cranking for some time now. Everything that I have done to the Hawk has been on the cheap, and it benefited from everything I have did. I wasn't very pleased with the sound after de cating it, but I drilling four 7/16" holes in the" inner plate" of the muffler , and I got what I think is a good sound, and the deceleration kackle. I did spring for an adjustable shock for it, and it was well worth it. I think that I have it set up pretty good too, because I can make good time on back roads. . I went for a long ride on a variety of roads today on the Hawk, and even though I got kinda lost , and ended way farther away than I intended, I wasn't at all worried, because I had plenty of gas, and confidence in the bike. I may have taken the TBR7, but it didn't have as much gas, and I didn't want to go into town. I need to ride it the next time, and then I will probably start realizing that it's just as good, which I know it is. It does have around 4,500 on the odometer now, and the Hawk about half that much, or a little more, not only because I've had it longer, but I think I liked it better at first, but the Hawk has really grown on me.

Old 09-03-2023, 10:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapkin View Post
I am pretty much babying this thing so I too am curious about how many miles I will get. The transmission seems okay, it doesn't burn any oil and I gotta say I'm pretty dang impressed..
Keep up with maintenance and a Hawk will last a very very long time. I didn't baby my first Hawk and I hammered out 4400 miles in about 6 months mostly running on the highways and using it to commute to work. If it wouldn't have gotten stolen I probably would have over 40k miles on it by this point. Most of my issues were wiring/electrical related. Mechanical stuff is flawless as long as you keep up with the lubrication and checking the hardware from time to time.

Old 09-03-2023, 01:02 PM   #14

I do dan. I check the tightness of bolts and change the oil every month no matter the mileage and i put grease on every electrical connection i could find.

Old 09-03-2023, 01:36 PM   #15

also, when I say I baby her, I mean I dont wind her out unnecessarily and I rarely take her off road. that being said, i live in WV so you can imagine the roads she deals with just going to the grocery store. potholes inside of potholes.