Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2022, 12:19 AM   #1

About had it with these chinese bikes

I just got into riding street legal bikes and so far this bike from venom motorsports has been nothing but problems. its a z250 clone bd250-6. It has fuel injection and is a pain in my ass. At first had issues with the key not turning the thing on. Then fuses starting exploding. My ignition went bad and they are sending another I am going to have to install. The damn thing does not get out of first right when stopping at lights and stop signs, it idling horribly. I rebuilt the damn ignition myself, found the inside metal piece was bent and had shorted two of 4 wires, and got it to work a little just to notice my exhaust glows red A MINUTE AFTER STARTING THE BIKE! I am about done with this thing. It has 18 miles on it and I am about to just have them take it back and drop it off at their place. Not worth the time and effort at this point it seems. I got the one bike from these guys no one seems to know anything about. Just my damn luck. Spent more time working on it than riding and its new.

Last edited by JerryHawk250; 09-14-2022 at 11:38 AM. Reason: remove foul language

Old 08-27-2022, 07:21 AM   #2

What?!? Red got exhaust from idle?!?! That's a dangerously lean condition of that's the case. Something is definitely wrong with your bike. Make sure you document every problem with venom. They might need to replace the bike.

Old 08-29-2022, 04:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustoff42 View Post
I just got into riding street legal bikes and so far this bike from venom motorsports has been nothing but problems. its a z250 clone bd250-6. It has fuel injection and is a pain in my ass. At first had issues with the key not turning the thing on. Then fuses starting exploding. My ignition went bad and they are sending another I am going to have to install. The damn thing does not get out of first right when stopping at lights and stop signs, it idling horribly. I rebuilt the damn ignition myself, found the inside metal piece was bent and had shorted two of 4 wires, and got it to work a little just to notice my exhaust glows red A MINUTE AFTER STARTING THE BIKE! I am about done with this thing. It has 18 miles on it and I am about to just have them take it back and drop it off at their place. Not worth the time and effort at this point it seems. I got the one bike from these guys no one seems to know anything about. Just my damn luck. Spent more time working on it than riding and its fucking new.
Just wondering if you got this resolved through Venom motorsports yet?
2022 Venom Ghost chopper 250
1997 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
1978 Kawasaki KL250
https://youtube.com/@herbiesgarage681

Old 08-29-2022, 05:05 PM   #4

Sounds like you got a lemon. Can happen with any manufacturer. I would work on having Venom send you a new one.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 08-30-2022, 10:54 PM   #5

Quote:
I just got into riding street legal bikes and so far this bike from venom motorsports has been nothing but problems. its a z250 clone bd250-6. It has fuel injection and is a pain in my ass. At first had issues with the key not turning the thing on. Then fuses starting exploding. My ignition went bad and they are sending another I am going to have to install. The damn thing does not get out of first right when stopping at lights and stop signs, it idling horribly. I rebuilt the damn ignition myself, found the inside metal piece was bent and had shorted two of 4 wires, and got it to work a little just to notice my exhaust glows red A MINUTE AFTER STARTING THE BIKE! I am about done with this thing. It has 18 miles on it and I am about to just have them take it back and drop it off at their place. Not worth the time and effort at this point it seems. I got the one bike from these guys no one seems to know anything about. Just my damn luck. Spent more time working on it than riding and its fucking new.
The catalytic converter glowing red, combined with your ignition system problems, seems to indicate that unburned fuel is making its way to the converter. Fixing the ignition misfire should correct the catalytic converter problem.

As for the shifting problem, it appears that you need to adjust your clutch, preferably down at the engine clutch lever on the engine; doing it down there will preserve your adjustment range at the lever on the handle bar. Yours is not releasing enough when you pull in the clutch lever; this makes it hard to shift into neutral, since there is still a load on the transmission shift drum that you are trying to move with the shift lever. You can test and verify if this is the issue by pulling in the clutch lever at the handlebar, then reving the throttle - if the bike tries to move forward, the clutch is adjusted too tight and needs to be loosened.

Old 09-07-2022, 01:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbie View Post
Just wondering if you got this resolved through Venom motorsports yet?
Nope. Been giving me nothing but solutions to bikes that are not like mine or offering to send me a new ignition. They said the header and exhaust can get to 1200 degrees. That seems really hot.

Old 09-07-2022, 01:23 PM   #7

Venom has not been super helpful about all of this. They offer parts for the bike like a ignition. But other than that they are not helping much. 3500 for a bike that doesn’t work and a company that won’t stand by their products. Nice times. Let this be a warning. Also the fact they market this as a 250cc bike and this is not that at all.

Old 09-07-2022, 05:11 PM   #8

It is common practice with all motorcycle manufactures to round up to the nearest 50cc. If you read the specification at the bottom of the website it clearly states 223cc.

I read through some of your other post and issues. Are you still running the stock spark plug? Reason I'm asking is because some of the china bikes come with the cheap Torch plug that usually are junk. Replace it with a good NGK plug. That might resolve some of the idle issues you were having. Another issue many other bikes have had were valve clearance are set to tight. I would do a valve adjustment even if it is new. That alone has resolved issues with quiet a few members on here. From what you have been describing with the red hot exhaust that sounds like a high idle and possible lean condition. You may have an air leak in the intake on the bike. check that all connections from the throttle body and intake are snug and air tight. You can check for leaks while it is running with a can of starter fluid. if the idle speed changes when spraying the connection then you have a leak.

The problems you have are not the norm but do happen from time to time. You won't be the first. Hopefully Venom will resolve the issue for you. They are not know for not taking care of the customer. I know it can be frustrating being that it's a new bike. Word of advise is don't get nasty with them as I can see they are trying to figure it out with replacement parts. All that will do is make them not want to help.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-08-2022, 01:05 PM   #9

I think I'd take the top cover off, not only to check valve clearance, but be sure valves are working as expected. what came to my mind was an exhaust valve not closing properly and some amount of the ignition process is happening past the cylinder.

Old 09-08-2022, 01:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
I think I'd take the top cover off, not only to check valve clearance, but be sure valves are working as expected. what came to my mind was an exhaust valve not closing properly and some amount of the ignition process is happening past the cylinder.
I think too I would of had the same problem with my Hawk DLX. I adjusted the valves before I ever did the first start and the exhaust was no play tight…my thoughts

Old 09-08-2022, 07:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Nope. Been giving me nothing but solutions to bikes that are not like mine or offering to send me a new ignition. They said the header and exhaust can get to 1200 degrees. That seems really hot.
Where are you located? Anywhere close to St. louis Mo?
2022 Venom Ghost chopper 250
1997 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
1978 Kawasaki KL250
https://youtube.com/@herbiesgarage681

Old 09-09-2022, 11:13 AM   #12

So, any updates?
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-10-2022, 06:24 AM   #13

So I took the spark plug out and it was way to small of a gap. I made it bigger and I had a new plug come in today. The gap difference helped the idle a little. But damn that things glows still and gives off enough heat to cook a steak after a minute of idling. The engine reads 300 easily. Exhaust Does smell kind of weird tho I noticed. It could be the exhaust valve. . I learned about valves a bit now and looked some things up. Going to attempt this. But the thing is. I can’t seem to figure out this engine. It says 165fmm-p on it. But I can’t seem to find much or any info on it. I know a lot of them changed the names of the engines of something. But everyone who seems to have this kind of engine has a 5 gear. This is 6 and fuel injected. I have no idea what kind of gasket this thing uses. Would fee more confident if I knew the actual engine name. Here are some pics to maybe help? Any info would really be helpful. I can’t find shit https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...8MKAqrvK7AwRaH

Last edited by JerryHawk250; 09-14-2022 at 11:37 AM. Reason: remove foul language

Old 09-10-2022, 06:41 AM   #14

I was staring at a can of that stuff today at autozone. Should have gotten it. That air box is really strange the way it is held together. Thanks that’s some solid advice on the air leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
It is common practice with all motorcycle manufactures to round up to the nearest 50cc. If you read the specification at the bottom of the website it clearly states 223cc.

I read through some of your other post and issues. Are you still running the stock spark plug? Reason I'm asking is because some of the china bikes come with the cheap Torch plug that usually are junk. Replace it with a good NGK plug. That might resolve some of the idle issues you were having. Another issue many other bikes have had were valve clearance are set to tight. I would do a valve adjustment even if it is new. That alone has resolved issues with quiet a few members on here. From what you have been describing with the red hot exhaust that sounds like a high idle and possible lean condition. You may have an air leak in the intake on the bike. check that all connections from the throttle body and intake are snug and air tight. You can check for leaks while it is running with a can of starter fluid. if the idle speed changes when spraying the connection then you have a leak.

The problems you have are not the norm but do happen from time to time. You won't be the first. Hopefully Venom will resolve the issue for you. They are not know for not taking care of the customer. I know it can be frustrating being that it's a new bike. Word of advise is don't get nasty with them as I can see they are trying to figure it out with replacement parts. All that will do is make them not want to help.

Old 09-10-2022, 07:47 AM   #15

Wow! That exhaust is really hot. That's not normal. How many RPM's is it idling at? Should only be around 1500 - 1600 RPM's. A high idle will heat the exhaust up pretty quick.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Last edited by JerryHawk250; 09-10-2022 at 08:33 AM.

Tags
bad, chinese bikes, glowing red, stalling, venom motorsports