Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2015, 11:32 AM   #1

Big brakes, a little wait

As usual, the fine folks at CSC have listened. They have introduced a big rotor solution to the front end of the RX3. I like that it is 1mm thicker (more mass, greater heat dissipation) and larger in diameter (greater stopping leverage.). Combine with the sintered front brake pads, and this is promising to be a strong braking solution.

Read all about it on CSC's blog posting from today!

Old 12-30-2015, 12:50 PM   #2

Funny thing is I do not find the stock setup that bad, maybe coming off a Ural that half the time the brakes don't work anyways has primed me for the RX3 brakes

But really compared to some other bikes the brakes are not bad.

I am glad to see CSC once again not only listening to their customers but doing something about it as well

Old 12-30-2015, 01:55 PM   #3

yea, its just a little sad it won't be standard on the 2016 models when they know its an issue many will consider a mandatory change

Old 12-30-2015, 02:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinope View Post
yea, its just a little sad it won't be standard on the 2016 models when they know its an issue many will consider a mandatory change
Weak brakes is an opinion only, every update will add to bike price it would be $200 on top of 2016 prices putting the bike over $4,000. Many bikes suffer from the same issues my TW200 for one, some people claim the brakes on the CRF250L are soft also and it goes on and on, mandatory may be a bit strong.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:16 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Sad?

Really???

That's your thought knowing:
What the bike retails for
Plenty of folks find the stock brakes fine after better pads installed
CSC's history of helping

I am still amazed at those who cannot see the forest for the trees.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:23 PM   #6

question I have is why the pad is only rubbing half of the disk surface? seems like it should either have a larger pad surface to make use of the disk surface or a smaller disk area to lighten the disk

not a criticism more a curiosity - I've noticed it on some other bikes as well

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 12-30-2015, 02:40 PM   #7

Sintered pads cost me 9 dollars. I'm sure the new rotor is something like 50 dollars, not a big deal really, I'm glad they are providing the option.

*should have read the blog, 299 for the kit. I'll be likely buying it if the sintered pads don't do the trick.

It wouldn't be as noticeable if I weren't going back and forth between a bike with a nice set of brembos.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
question I have is why the pad is only rubbing half of the disk surface? seems like it should either have a larger pad surface to make use of the disk surface or a smaller disk area to lighten the disk

I was wondering that on mine the other day.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:40 PM   #9

Quote:

I think the issue is the caliper. In order to get effective braking on the pad, the piston needs to push against the backing plate of the brake pad fairly squarely. The stock caliper will only extend so far due to the size of that piston and the depth of the caliper body.

In terms of braking, while more surface area contact would provide more drag, having surface area contact on the disk face furthest toward the outside provides greatest leverage to stop the rotation of the wheel.

I guess another solution would be to find another caliper that would provide the reach to cover the rotor surface, but I think that would get expensive pretty quickly, and I'm not sure what the braking force required at the lever end might be given the change in caliper and piston count.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithmaine View Post
Funny thing is I do not find the stock setup that bad, maybe coming off a Ural that half the time the brakes don't work anyways has primed me for the RX3 brakes

But really compared to some other bikes the brakes are not bad.

I am glad to see CSC once again not only listening to their customers but doing something about it as well
I agree; I think the front brakes work fine. One might remember, the first generation of the Kawasaki KLR650 was noted for having very poor brakes. Also, if you are riding off road, you don't want the front brakes to grab too hard, or you will be going down quickly.

If you have any problems with the front brake, you can quickly rectify them. First, you should loosen all the brake rotor bolts, then tighten them incrementally, in a star pattern. If the front brake is pulsing, CSC will send you a new brake rotor under warranty coverage. Also, you can install sintered brake pads. CSC is now offering DP sintered brake pads. You can also install EBC FA185 brake pads.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15503

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-30-2015, 05:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtking View Post
As usual, the fine folks at CSC have listened. They have introduced a big rotor solution to the front end of the RX3. I like that it is 1mm thicker (more mass, greater heat dissipation) and larger in diameter (greater stopping leverage.). Combine with the sintered front brake pads, and this is promising to be a strong braking solution.

Read all about it on CSC's blog posting from today!
Thanks for sharing the good information, RT. The front brake kit from CSC will be happily welcomed by those people who enjoy riding aggressively on pavement.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-31-2015, 09:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtking View Post
I think the issue is the caliper. In order to get effective braking on the pad, the piston needs to push against the backing plate of the brake pad fairly squarely. The stock caliper will only extend so far due to the size of that piston and the depth of the caliper body.
yeah, it just seems like a mismatch of rotor to caliper - either a deeper caliper or a rotor with less depth available would be a better match.

if they are sourcing existing parts that work to keep costs low then I fully understand. I've done the same thing customizing cars for years, but if they are having them made for the bike then it seems that a simple change to the disk profile that goes to the cutters would make it a little nicer.

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 12-31-2015, 12:32 PM   #13
Banned

It's obviously parts bin shopping was done at Zong on the F brake.

Which is fine for this price point and to be expected.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:56 PM   #14

Quote:
yeah, it just seems like a mismatch of rotor to caliper - either a deeper caliper or a rotor with less depth available would be a better match.

if they are sourcing existing parts that work to keep costs low then I fully understand. I've done the same thing customizing cars for years, but if they are having them made for the bike then it seems that a simple change to the disk profile that goes to the cutters would make it a little nicer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
It's obviously parts bin shopping was done at Zong on the F brake.

Which is fine for this price point and to be expected.
It is normal practice to common source parts for Chinese motorcycles.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-05-2016, 09:58 AM   #15

My two cents on the brakes. I'm a new rider so take it for what its worth.

I'm surprised by the lack of front brake on the bike. Makes me rethink my opinion about the DR650 brakes! And let me tell you that I like the RX3 a lot. But when it comes to brakes, it's more of a safety issue. I'm surprised that the motorcycle industry isn't regulated like the car industry when it comes to safety. Yeah, I know, your riding a motorcycle, if you wanna be safe drive... but still, I feel like a responsible company wouldn't put out an inferior product but rather they want you to pay for it. They should just make the big brakes a standard and not even offer the smaller brakes as an option and adjust the price.