Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2020, 06:46 PM   #1

Anyone purchase the Venom Retro Chopper?

New to both the forum and riding. I just purchased the Retro 250cc chopper/cafe racer from Venmonmotorsportsusa. I bought the bike despite there being NO reviews of this thing simply because i love everything about it except the seat (which will be replaced once received) Has anyone purchased this bike that could help clarify some details, post some photos/videos. i wanna see this thing in action really

bad

Old 06-15-2020, 11:39 PM   #2

Member Barnone was thinking of this bike, but went with another Dongfang bike, the Dongfang 250 RTG aka Venom Sportster Chopper (but he ordered from a different retailer.
https://www.venommotorsportsusa.com/...16024167907430

I don't think I recall ANYONE ordering one. If you follow Barnone's thread on his RTG, it will give you a kind of related experience (a couple other members also purchased the RTG and participate on that thread).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 07-28-2020, 12:10 PM   #3

I bought a DF250RTG in early April. I'm getting near 500 miles ridden since new. I absolutely love the little bugger for around-town and country lane riding, but I can't say there haven't been some snags along the way. The assembly is simple, but having absolutely no instructions introduces enough complication that it can get a bit puzzling at times. Beware of soft bolts, especially the ones that attach the handlebar. They are small and very soft, and it is real easy to twist off a bolt head before you get them tight -- trust me, I know. Those were replaced with much higher-grade bolts.

Check the tightness of the spokes. On my first real ride out side of town the rear tire went flat very rapidly at 55 MPH, caused by a loose spoke puncturing the tube. I got stopped safely, then studied up on spoked wheels and re-tightened all spokes. Funny thing -- the front spokes were fine, the rear spokes were all loose.

Consider replacing all light bulbs. They are cheap in the extreme, and I had two signal lamps and the headlamp blow in fairly short order. Again better-quality replacements were easy and inexpensive to install.

The mirrors that come with it are crap. I couldn't get any of the four (FOUR!) mirrors to work for me, and replaced them with some inexpensive bar-end mirrors off eBay.

The original seat looked neat but just did not work for me. I ordered a generic replacement flat seat of off eBay that fit well and bolted right on but was as hard as a board. Fortunately, there was enough saddle material to allow me to add about an inch of high-density foam under the cover, and the result has been very comfortable, if still pretty firm.

I hope you've gotten yours by now and are enjoying it!

Old 08-20-2020, 03:06 PM   #4

Name:  IMG_20200223_183901.jpg
Views: 3632
Size:  157 Bytes

Old 10-31-2021, 02:50 PM   #5

I have one of these retro bikes on order from redfox, already shipped. How did you know the spokes were loose? And do they tighten like a bicycle's? And Jizzy, any report on your bike?

Tags
cafe, caferacer, dongfang, retrocafe, retrochopper