Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2017, 10:43 PM   #1

CDI help with Yiben

Ok, I'm pulling out the remainder of my hair here, I have a 2016 Yiben Scout (I believe, decals missing) bike only had 200 miles on it when I got it, I've been trying to find a spare CDI to carry, but 6 different CDIs later, not one of them will function, the bike runs fine on the stock one, it looks like an AC cdi, standard china stuff, but the picture of the CDI I found for the scout on UK ebay, looks like a DC and looks much larger, is this some strange proprietary cdi they created? I measured for DC voltage at the CDI plug with the key on, and nothing, do you suppose they could be running it on rectified DC from the stator? instead of the battery?

Old 08-27-2017, 12:23 AM   #2

I possibly have one of these weird 5 wire dc CDIs that run off of the stator instead of the battery

Old 08-27-2017, 02:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
have a 2016 Yiben Scout (I believe, decals missing)...
Yiben's VIN starts w/ LYD http://www.kaitongmotor.com
Got any pic?

Old 08-27-2017, 01:35 PM   #4

yea I'll take some, it's definitely a Yiben because of the manufacturer and the Yiben manual that came with it. If I google 2016 Yiben scout that's what it looks like, minus the decals which the dealer never put on. It has Solana in big plastic letters across the sides, which is a scooter dealership chain in Florida which is where I believe it originally came from, it only had 200 miles on it, It came from my dad who is too old to ride it, and he bought it from the elderly woman who lived in the house next to them and who I believe is the original owner

Old 08-27-2017, 01:39 PM   #5

Taizhou Senlong Motorcycle Manufacturing Co, they appear to be a legitimate bikee manufacturing company with a good reputation

Old 08-27-2017, 08:11 PM   #6

these look to use an 8 pole stator really unusual for a 50cc, and it's 100 volts plus to the CDI at idle, this may be why standard CDIs are burning out http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Stator-fo...item25861c1d41

Old 08-27-2017, 11:19 PM   #7

What? It's the typical output of GY6-50 dual source coil config (Example: http://www.mxjidian.com/index.php?s=.../pinfo/ptid/97) . From that chinese page u know the 12V is weak(60W). NO DC-CDI, pls. Otherwise...

Old 08-28-2017, 01:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
What? It's the typical output of GY6-50 dual source coil config (Example: http://www.mxjidian.com/index.php?s=.../pinfo/ptid/97) . From that chinese page u know the 12V is weak(60W). NO DC-CDI, pls. Otherwise...
over here, having an 8 pole stator on a 50 is pretty rare, normally they would be found on 125 and up, but Yiben is pretty rare here too, seems like a quality bike compared to most 50 common over here, it still won't run on any aftermarket CDI box it's 100 volt AC into the cdi

Old 09-09-2017, 06:26 PM   #9

Quote:
2016 Yiben Scout . . been trying to find a spare CDI to carry, but 6 different CDIs later, not one of them will function
Include the original CDI and aftermarkets in the image . . imgur.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
Include the original CDI and aftermarkets in the image . . imgur.
as soon as the hurricane is gone, and if we survive and the bike survives, I will get you pics, i can already tell you it looks like the generic AC CDIs, and I have measured 100 volts ac at the stator for the cdi. at the cdi volt in. This is a weird bike, the manual has both yiben and jmstar on it, but it's not a Jonway, the Vin shows it's a Yiben, the jmstar group imports a lot of bikes under different names. I've even seen some of them sold as just JMstar scooters. But the actual manufacturer of this is Yiben,

Old 09-09-2017, 09:28 PM   #11

Quote:
looks like the generic AC CDIs
Is there one or two wires in the 2-pin connector?

Does the headlight illuminate when key is turned on . . prior to starting engine?

Old 09-09-2017, 09:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Is there one or two wires in the 2-pin connector?

Does the headlight illuminate when key is turned on . . prior to starting engine?
headlight and taillight run off the AC side of the stator, so they only work when it's running. I've already verified it has 100 volts ac at the cdi plug. the two pin connector is two wires, one is voltage in and one is the kill switch connector

Old 09-09-2017, 09:45 PM   #13

the oddball way they are imported might explain why they are so rare in the US,they are sold in Asia and in Europe under Yiben, which is the actual manufacturer, but it looks like JMstar imports them to the US, where they are sold as possibly JMstar scooters, or maybe even under the Jonway name for some models, even though the bike is manufactured by Yiben instead of Jonway, they apparently sell a number of different manufacturers bikes under the Jonway name

Old 09-09-2017, 11:25 PM   #14

Quote:
JMstar imports them to the US
As you are probably aware . . Roketa shows several LYD models.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:06 AM   #15

Quote:
As you are probably aware . . Roketa shows several LYD models.
yea it's funny I called the dealership chain who's name is stuck on the back of the bike, who happens to sell a lot of Roketa stuff and they had never heard of them lol