Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2020, 06:21 PM   #1

FHTSA Label

First time post. You all have lots of valuable info. I want to get a dual sport like the Hawk. I found one locally, but the guy only has MCO and it is in his name. Talked to my local tag office, they said no go and I needed a title. This is a small county in Georgia and I´m pretty sure I´ll have to play by the book which includes and inspection verifying the VIN and the FHTSA label. I really like the Hawk. It has the Honda clone 229cc engine and a 35 inch seat height (I´m tall). Q9 power sports say the Hawk DLX has the label, but I really do not want the fuel injected model. Plus it is more expensive. I also found a dealer in Atlanta that sells them and will title it, but full retail is about about $800 more. Could any of you tell me other dual sports that have the FHTSA labels?

Old 11-27-2020, 06:53 PM   #2

You can get that bike legal easy if you still wish ,register it in Vermont (google the process it’s easy and legal ,they do not have titles for old stuff or bikes under a certain size and Hawks qualify ) then either run it with the Vermont plate or take your new Vermont paperwork to your state who will now register it .

Old 11-27-2020, 07:21 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I think you can do the same through S. Dakota. I would prefer to have it with title. I would need it if I ever wanted to sell. Would they issue title as well as getting tags from VT?

Old 11-27-2020, 07:51 PM   #4

They issue a registration ,but that gets turned into a title when you register it in your state .I do think one other state is doing it as well ,but you rarely read about them ,everybody uses Vermont .

Old 11-27-2020, 08:36 PM   #5

When I registered my new Lifan Expect this month in Texas the title office basically treated the MCO paperwork like a title. I had to put my name on the back of the MCO as receiver, sign it - and surrender it in exchange for plates, registration and a title.

If I remember correctly - down the back of the MCO were additional lines for additional transfers.

If that is the case - Im not sure why if the seller went with you to DMV and signed the back of the MCO in DMV presence that would not work.

Worth a try maybe?

Good luck.

Old 11-27-2020, 08:46 PM   #6

Wow Good to know. I will keep this as a back-up plan and do some more research. Really want the bike, just didn´t want the hassle. Still I would like to know if anyone has a make with the safety label? Seems Hawk and TRB7 both do not. I have also checked on the Orion and it also does not. I think the CSS TT250 may have, but cost an extra grand.

Old 11-27-2020, 10:34 PM   #7

I plated my Hawk in Georgia when I first got it, way back when. I had to jump through a ton of hoops (some of which were of questionable legality), and didn't get any support from the seller (TXPowersports). Here's the link to what had to happen to get my GA title. The info is a couple years old now, but maybe it will help. I was in Carroll County, you didn't mention which county you were in. Please keep us posted.

http://www.chinariders.net/showpost....7&postcount=74

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 11-27-2020, 10:40 PM   #8

goJimH, Might work but seller is 2 hrs away. Needs to be registered in my home county. Others on this forum from Georgia have been successfuI. But here we have a small office and new people. Would not have been a problem a couple of years ago. I do appreciate your idea.

Old 11-27-2020, 10:58 PM   #9

Emerikol, thanks for sharing. I read your post. Sounded frustrating. Glad it all worked out for you. I think it might go easier if we were dealers. Note according to the GA Dept of Driver Services the bike is required to have the FHTSA label. Without it I can not argue with them. BTW I am in Jeff Davis Co.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by josémoto View Post
Emerikol, thanks for sharing. I read your post. Sounded frustrating. Glad it all worked out for you. I think it might go easier if we were dealers. Note according to the GA Dept of Driver Services the bike is required to have the FHTSA label. Without it I can not argue with them. BTW I am in Jeff Davis Co.
It certainly was frustrating, but more from the lack of support from TXPowerSports. Everything else was pretty much just the usual bumbling government bureaucracy. I would say try to get a label made up, get your ruler and razor blade handy, and go get it inspected by the local sheriff. Once I had all that sorted out, the registration process was a breeze, relatively speaking. I think that you're far more likely to draw attention to yourself with an out of state tag than you would jumping through all the Georgia hoops and getting a Georgia tag.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 11-28-2020, 09:30 AM   #11

Quote:
goJimH, Might work but seller is 2 hrs away. Needs to be registered in my home county. Others on this forum from Georgia have been successfuI. But here we have a small office and new people. Would not have been a problem a couple of years ago. I do appreciate your idea.
I know in Tx - you are allowed to register at the DMV office in either the sellers or buyers location/county - but no other.

I would think common sense would dictate most states to have a similar policy.

Even so you may be better off with a new bike.

Old 11-28-2020, 10:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
It certainly was frustrating, but more from the lack of support from TXPowerSports. Everything else was pretty much just the usual bumbling government bureaucracy. I would say try to get a label made up, get your ruler and razor blade handy, and go get it inspected by the local sheriff. Once I had all that sorted out, the registration process was a breeze, relatively speaking. I think that you're far more likely to draw attention to yourself with an out of state tag than you would jumping through all the Georgia hoops and getting a Georgia tag.
Emerikol,

I just read thru your long drawn out drama to get your brand new bike tagged and titled in GA. Words fail to describe other than say its unbelievable!

Glad you persisted and made it thru. Now I understand and appreciate josémoto's instance regarding must have a FHSTA label.

What I find most odd about the ordeal - is that much like purchasing a fake id - you were simply able to order your own tailor made FHSTA sticker online - and that satisfied the DMV requirements. Did they take it on face value or did they match it to the stamped VIN? It looks the sticker was placed over where my bikes VIN is.

On a side note - there seems to be an industry cropping up - to satisfy the need for FHSTA stickers. How did JerryHawk250 even know about the stickers anyway? Crazy.

They say that fact is stranger than fiction.

Old 11-28-2020, 01:59 PM   #13

This is the form that has to be submitted for registration https://dor.georgia.gov/t-22b-certification-inspection . Hope this in not a trend for everyone else. For now I will keep looking. May end up driving to Atlanta and buying the legal one early next year. I appreciate everyones input. I will also continue watching this thread for possible bikes with safety labels. Too bad the used Hawk I found in Savannah did not have a title. It was $1000 and only had 70 miles on it.

Old 11-28-2020, 02:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by goJimH View Post
Emerikol,

I just read thru your long drawn out drama to get your brand new bike tagged and titled in GA. Words fail to describe other than say its unbelievable!

Glad you persisted and made it thru. Now I understand and appreciate josémoto's instance regarding must have a FHSTA label.

What I find most odd about the ordeal - is that much like purchasing a fake id - you were simply able to order your own tailor made FHSTA sticker online - and that satisfied the DMV requirements. Did they take it on face value or did they match it to the stamped VIN? It looks the sticker was placed over where my bikes VIN is.

On a side note - there seems to be an industry cropping up - to satisfy the need for FHSTA stickers. How did JerryHawk250 even know about the stickers anyway? Crazy.

They say that fact is stranger than fiction.
So when I reached out to the guy that makes the labels (the labels are actually perfectly legal. They're designed to go on custom build bikes. Think OCC and such), he just asked me what info I wanted on them. I gave him the VIN from my Hawk, and the tire sizes and such. He printed it up on a laser printer on special self-laminating sheets. The sheriff inspected the bike to make sure that the VIN matched, signed the paperwork, and I was off to the races (as long as they were slow races, it is only a 250, after all...)

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 11-28-2020, 09:02 PM   #15

Quote:
This is the form that has to be submitted for registration https://dor.georgia.gov/t-22b-certification-inspection . Hope this in not a trend for everyone else. For now I will keep looking. May end up driving to Atlanta and buying the legal one early next year. I appreciate everyones input. I will also continue watching this thread for possible bikes with safety labels. Too bad the used Hawk I found in Savannah did not have a title. It was $1000 and only had 70 miles on it.
josémoto,

After reading thru the ordeal Emerikol had to go thru to register and title his hawk in GA - I understand now why a FHSTA label is so important in GA.

Did you know - if you have all the other necessary paperwork - you can order a FHSTA label online - printed to the detail you specify?

If you are not familuar with Emerikols troubles - + suggest you check out this thread.

http://www.chinariders.net/showpost....7&postcount=74

Again - best of luck.