Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2014, 09:17 AM   #1

Exclamation China brand "X"..or "Y"?

Getting ready to drop a deposit on a Dual Sport (motard).. What should I be focusing on as far as quality goes. Is there a big difference between brand "X" and brand "Y"? I am new to this and want to make sure I can get the best bang for the smallest buck. Sorry in advance for the dumb bell question, but I just want make as informed a decision as I possibly can.

I am pretty mechanically savvy, so getting my hands dirty with minor repairs, assembly, PDI and maintenance is not an issue.
I know brand choice can be subjective in most cases, but we are talking China bikes.. Is it really that relevant?

I am looking at a Roketa 200cc dual sport $1200 shipped and a TMEC 200 Enduro (motard) around $1500-$1700 depending on if I have the PDI and assembly done.
What am I getting for the extra $$$ on the TMEC that is lacking on the Roketa?

Old 06-30-2014, 06:38 PM   #2

you have a link to the roketa? here is another one i was looking at before deciding on the tmec for myself. its from mot buys that advertises on this forum, not sure about their reliability as a dealer, or the bike, its a 250cc.http://www.motobuys.com/db-d250rte-a-sun.html

lancer? haven't heard anyone mention that name.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:15 PM   #3

I also almost bought the same bike.

http://powersportsbest.com/dirt-bike...new-model.html

They had it for $1399 but decided on the TMEC because of the great things that I read here and in other forums. What scared me was that I didn't feel parts would be available. At least I know I can call Xcalibur for a part if needed. They would at least be able to get it for me.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:15 PM   #4

That price on the Roketa is excellent, reminescent of the good old days... Where did you find it?

Way back when when I got into CB's they were about $900 shipped.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:23 PM   #5

The Roketa was tempting but when the sales jockey at Superior MS couldn't tell me much anything about it cept "that vehicle is manuel" yep, it was spelled that way in the chat text.
At that point I called Wade Liu @ Excalibur Motorsports a distributor in SoCal for China Motorsports products. More on that somewhere in this forum. so Stoked

Old 06-30-2014, 08:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
That price on the Roketa is excellent, reminescent of the good old days... Where did you find it?

Way back when when I got into CB's they were about $900 shipped.
Superior motorsports.. and they lost the sale due to lack of knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by footer View Post
you have a link to the roketa? here is another one i was looking at before deciding on the tmec for myself. its from mot buys that advertises on this forum, not sure about their reliability as a dealer, or the bike, its a 250cc.http://www.motobuys.com/db-d250rte-a-sun.html

lancer? haven't heard anyone mention that name.
I think I have seen a lancer sticker on something in the more recent past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCat View Post
I also almost bought the same bike.

http://powersportsbest.com/dirt-bike...new-model.html

They had it for $1399 but decided on the TMEC because of the great things that I read here and in other forums. What scared me was that I didn't feel parts would be available. At least I know I can call Xcalibur for a part if needed. They would at least be able to get it for me.
My way of thinking exactly! Doing business with Xcalibur was pleasant experience. Wade knows his product inside out as well as the broad view of Chinese motos. Interesting and entertaining chap

Old 07-01-2014, 01:25 AM   #7

Did you order a TMEC 200?

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-01-2014, 09:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Did you order a TMEC 200?
I did indeed. So exciting! My first moto at age 51!!
As I had made mention. I've ridden dirt bikes and ATCs as a kid and owned scooters in tbe recent past, but
This is my first ever owned motorcycle. I am happy that my first purchase was made with knowledge
I gleaned from these boards. Guys that know these bikes and love them. I am a frugal guy. I have to be to
slog it out in this world. I am a frequent rooter for the underdog and like when I get more than I expect.
We will see when I finally get this bike. Excalibur Motorsports gets high recommendations from this guy!
Happy to be on these boards!

Old 07-01-2014, 10:42 AM   #9

I think you made an excellent decision to order from Excalibur.

The ads on the site are supplied from google and not necessarily endorsed by Chinariders.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattybikejones View Post
As I had made mention. I've ridden dirt bikes and ATCs as a kid and owned scooters in tbe recent past, but
This is my first ever owned motorcycle. I am happy that my first purchase was made with knowledge
I gleaned from these boards. Guys that know these bikes and love them. I am a frugal guy. I have to be to
slog it out in this world. I am a frequent rooter for the underdog and like when I get more than I expect.
We will see when I finally get this bike. Excalibur Motorsports gets high recommendations from this guy!
Happy to be on these boards!
Congratulations. Did you order the bike assembled, or will you assemble it yourself? If you plan to assemble the motorcycle, please consider starting a new thread which documents the arrival of the shipping crate, and the assembly of the bike, with photographs. We love those threads, and you will earn extra points at China Riders by posting such a thread.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #11

mine was shipped today! going to be rough the next few days waiting! excalibur is the shit! got my money, and shipped within like 2 hours! if fatty ordered directly from excalibur (which i think he did), it will come assembled. they only ship assembled so they don't have customer problems with putting it together. from what i gather, still need to change oil and double check bolts - though wilsoncat says he hasn't had any come loose…

did you get the black fatty?

Old 07-01-2014, 07:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Congratulations. Did you order the bike assembled, or will you assemble it yourself? If you plan to assemble the motorcycle, please consider starting a new thread which documents the arrival of the shipping crate, and the assembly of the bike, with photographs. We love those threads, and you will earn extra points at China Riders by posting such a thread.
Thanks! I ordered it intending to set it up and PDI it myself, but Wade mentioned how he prefers that they do all the assembly and PDI so they know its running when it leaves the warehouse. I don't mind them making something off the sale. These guys are very good to deal with. I'm going to get some pictures of the assembly and finished bike when it gets that far. Very excited about now.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger View Post
I think you made an excellent decision to order from Excalibur.

The ads on the site are supplied from google and not necessarily endorsed by Chinariders.
I get that same confident feeling about this purchase!

Quote:
Originally Posted by footer View Post
mine was shipped today! going to be rough the next few days waiting! excalibur is the shit! got my money, and shipped within like 2 hours! if fatty ordered directly from excalibur (which i think he did), it will come assembled. they only ship assembled so they don't have customer problems with putting it together. from what i gather, still need to change oil and double check bolts - though wilsoncat says he hasn't had any come loose…

did you get the black fatty?
Wow.. This is like 4 members that own this bike now! culcune started something here. And yes.. The black super motard! So stoked! Make sure you post pics!!!

Old 07-01-2014, 09:40 PM   #14

Quote:

Wow.. This is like 4 members that own this bike now! culcune started something here. And yes.. The black super motard! So stoked! Make sure you post pics!!!
I know that there was a guy who bought a Denali, but he only posted a few times, and that was it. As far as starting something, there were a few guys who inspired me who had bought the '09 model (it was sold up to about '11 or early '12), including one guy who moved from Indiana to Northern California and rode his TMEC through the Redwood Forest and posted a video about a year ago on youtube (he was an active member here a few years ago, Vacationtime247) but stopped posting, and I happened to see his video from last summer and he did say he still liked his bike when I asked him on youtube).

Anyway, what helped me was sitting down with Alan and Wade at Excalibur's headquarters a couple Christmas seasons ago when driving back from L.A. to my home in AZ. Ever since, they always had parts for me. They were interested in my ownership experience since I was the first customer they knew who used the bike daily. I guess I became their 'experiment.' If you aren't putting over 150 miles a week, 12 months a year, I can almost guarantee your ownership experience (like 'Vacationtime247' mentioned above) will probably need less parts than I have needed.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 07-01-2014, 10:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Yer going to hate yerself..... All those waisted year...

Good on yer mate...

This is a cool litle vid for the riders in there prime..
77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com