Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2015, 04:24 PM   #1

TaoTao ATA-300H1 Help

I own a ATA-300H1 and i am looking for help on it. Here is the specs i could find, TaoTao doesn't have it on there site anymore....
Quote:

Engine Type: 300CC,Water cooled, 4-stroke, 1-cylinder, Manual transmission
Start Type: Electric start
Transmission: Chain Drive
Engine Gear: 4-3-2-1-N-R
Shift Gear: Foot
Max Torque: 13N.m/5000-5500r/min
Wheelbase(inch): 48.03
Ignition: CDI
Fuel Capacity(L): 12
Front Hand Brake: Hydraulic Disc
Rear Foot Brake: Hydraulic Disc
Tire Front: 23x7-10
Tire Rear: 22x10-10
Suspension Front(inch): 16.1
Suspension Rear(inch): 14.6
remote control(Yes/No): No
Speed Limiter(Yes/No): Yes
Engine kill switch(Yes/No): Yes
I have done some work to it to get it running
  • Ball Joints
  • Tie Rods
  • New Wiring Harness
  • Radiator Fan on dedicated switch (stat is bad)
  • Cleaned Carb(sat for 2 years with bad gas)
  • Adjusted the Valves (had a small tic)
  • New Battery
  • Re-wired the starter switch
  • Uni-Filter (Old box's hose rotted)
  • Gutted the exhaust

The owner before me took out the reverse gear(idk why) but that's about all that's been done to it.

I am currently having an issue where it gets no high-end power its able to do "ok" in 1-3 but 4th just bogs down. I am not even able to keep up with a 110cc... I messed with the choke and at about 75% i get at least 2x more power but its still not all there. There is a small screw on the bottom of the carb (PZ30) that we turned a little and it seems to idle better but it would just go back to the same boggy, poppy, ATV.

I am trying to figure out whats going on, I have a few ideas that maybe the filter is taking in to much air, or that the screw on the carb adjusts the mixture but is vibrating out of adjustment, but i am not sure and i want to get some input from other people.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:10 PM   #2

Welcome

Make sure you are operating the choke correctly. Don't go by pictures on the choke lever or anything like that. Physically check the choke plate position. During the summer if the carb is tuned correctly your choke should be full open with no need to ever touch it. I think I read somewhere on a properly tuned carb a choke is only effective at 40 degrees or something like that, maybe it was 60 degrees?? Remove your air cleaner and look inside the carb at the choke plate. Work the choke lever so you can see the plate open and close. This way you will have positive proof of the choke position. While your looking in there also check the carburetor slide. Work the throttle to see the slide move up and down. With full throttle the slide should be full open. Stick your finger or a screw driver in the carb with full throttle. Lift up on the slide. If it moves up your throttle is not adjusted properly and you are missing available power. You also need to remove your spark plug to check lean or rich fuel mixture based on color of the plug. These are just a couple things to check but its a good place to get started.

/

Old 06-20-2015, 12:18 PM   #3

Welcome!

When you cleaned the carb, did you remove the main and slow jets to clean them and the relevant passages? What sizes were they?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer