Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2015, 11:48 PM   #1

Perfomance issue on Tao Tao 125-d

Looking for some ideas to help this 4 wheeler be better. It is a Tao Tao 125-D. Maybe there is something I'm over looking. Just bought it new and was dropped off and then assembled. It started up but seemed to miss a little till giving some gas. turned idle up slightly and idles better. Problem is not much power in forward gear (f-n-r) type transmission. 80 pound son or even me can drive it up a hill just seems to bog down and feel gutless. But here is where the confusion comes in. Put it in reverse and hang on for your LIFE!!!!! Your going for a ride. So why is it so much faster and more responsive in throttle in reverse than in forward. Wiring, Clutch, or Carb?? OOHHH and it does have one of those silly alarms with remote kill and start. Any info would help. Was going to remove carb and clean it to start but then again wouldn't it act the same in reverse with no power. Clutch/transmission to start maybe some binding there. Wiring is there an electronic type rev limiter hiding there hooked up backwards from factory. Help now my head hurts. Hopefully you guys can help out.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:57 AM   #2

Welcome!

Start with this video. The clutch on this Honda is likely to be the same as yours:

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-19-2015, 12:37 AM   #3

remote key

the lighting button you press it once then the second time hold it.. the motor will start if the key is on and the brakes on... the lock pic will shut off the motor.... the others are you the alarm if someone tries to steal it or touch it or moves it,.... leave these allow...

Old 06-19-2015, 12:40 AM   #4

throttle

the governor is on the right handle throttle ... a screw goes into the throttle plate.. and stops the lever from going full throttle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg throttle.jpg (13.4 KB, 541 views)

Old 06-19-2015, 01:24 AM   #5

Guess I should have mentioned that the governor screw has been removed to allow more throttle in an attempt to get more power for hills. Should have said that. Thanks for reminding me flashlightboy

Old 06-23-2015, 09:27 PM   #6

Easy fix. You need to change the sprockets. Smaller front and larger rear. Whygostock has these sprocket in stock. This is pretty common on most Chinese made ATV unit.