Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2017, 04:27 PM   #1

Anyone have an extremely noisy bashan 250 engine?

Just put together a new hawk2 / enforcer or whatever it's called these days.

The engine on this bike has its normal valve tap which is exceptable. The valves had zero lash when I got it, so per the manual i set the lash on intake and exhaust at .005.

I notice that when I hit a certain rpm I hear what sounds like piston slap, or could it be the smog pump chattering? ... not sure.

Are these engine manufactured by the same company as the engines used on the hawk 1? They look exactly the same with the exception of the side covers, carb and smog pump.

Does anyone else have the noise I described?

Thanks!

Old 04-21-2017, 04:50 PM   #2

No, not at all.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:13 PM   #3

Do you still have the smog pump hooked up?

Old 04-21-2017, 06:34 PM   #4

put your hand on the key cover on the gas tank at the rpm it is doing it and see if it goes away.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 04-21-2017, 07:11 PM   #5

I wish it was just that. I double checked and it's definitely coming from the to of the motor. I guess I'm going to find out how good the service and warranty center is at the place I bought it.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:00 PM   #6

were you sure you were on the compression stroke? did you mean 0.05?
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 04-21-2017, 08:38 PM   #7

Mine is a little noisy.

Mine sounds like a rattle that I can't find. If I pull in the clutch while going down the road she's whisper quiet.

I haven't checked the valves yet, I'm going to change the oil and check the valves in the morning.

I started running out of gas on a ride earlier, switched to reserve and went to the gas station. looks like I'm getting 73 mpg.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:44 PM   #8

Yeah, I meant .05 and yes, I was on the compression stroke.

The bike made the noise before I even touch it and definitely runs better after I gapped the valves. The valves had negative lash, so the bike was losing compression on the compression stroke. Like I said, it runs great with the exception of what sounds like piston slap at around 2500 rpms on up.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwl6935 View Post
Yeah, I meant .05 and yes, I was on the compression stroke.

The bike made the noise before I even touch it and definitely runs better after I gapped the valves. The valves had negative lash, so the bike was losing compression on the compression stroke. Like I said, it runs great with the exception of what sounds like piston slap at around 2500 rpms on up.

That sucks !

One thing about these bikes is nothing isn't really consistent.
Hopefully it isn't a bad wrist pin, but it wouldn't surprise me..

I hope it's nothing major for you.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkp View Post
Mine is a little noisy.

Mine sounds like a rattle that I can't find. If I pull in the clutch while going down the road she's whisper quiet.

I haven't checked the valves yet, I'm going to change the oil and check the valves in the morning.

I started running out of gas on a ride earlier, switched to reserve and went to the gas station. looks like I'm getting 73 mpg.
Your problem sounds like it could be either the clutch plate tabs are too small for the basket or the springs aren't compressing hard enough.

Do you have any issues with the clutch slipping? I'd pull the side case off to see what's going on. Better to find out at home then on the road.

73mpg is great!

The bike I just got arrived in great shape with the exception of a smashed catalytic converter guard which I straightened out with a body hammer and repainted. The fuel gauge didn't work, so I pulled the sending unit out and recalibrated it. I also found a few wires in the harness in the wrong spot on connector.

These bikes are definitely inconsistent. Quality control is subpar to say the least.
I dont mind working on these bikes though, it's half the fun ... for me anyway. The last one I had ran great. No noises, nothing.

I just hope the dealer backs up the warranty on the bike. Even if they just send me the parts, I'll do it myself.

Old 04-22-2017, 05:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwl6935 View Post
Your problem sounds like it could be either the clutch plate tabs are too small for the basket or the springs aren't compressing hard enough.

Do you have any issues with the clutch slipping? I'd pull the side case off to see what's going on. Better to find out at home then on the road.

73mpg is great!

The bike I just got arrived in great shape with the exception of a smashed catalytic converter guard which I straightened out with a body hammer and repainted. The fuel gauge didn't work, so I pulled the sending unit out and recalibrated it. I also found a few wires in the harness in the wrong spot on connector.

These bikes are definitely inconsistent. Quality control is subpar to say the least.
I dont mind working on these bikes though, it's half the fun ... for me anyway. The last one I had ran great. No noises, nothing.

I just hope the dealer backs up the warranty on the bike. Even if they just send me the parts, I'll do it myself.

No slippage at all... but no matter how I adjust it, it's almost completely let out before it starts to grab. like the last inch of letting out the clutch.

Other than that, it runs smooth and rides great.
I don't do good with rattles, I think this is going to drive me nuts !!

I hope the warranty thing works out for you.
Mine is only 90 days, so I hope if something goes wrong it happens pretty quick !! lol

Old 04-22-2017, 06:56 PM   #12

I'd pull that side cover off. That would drive me crazy.

I'm thinking maybe that either the catalytic convert or the shield may be rattling. I'm not home to check it now, but I think that may be my issue.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:30 PM   #13

Well the heat shield and cat weren't causing the noise, it's definitely piston slap. I recorded the sound on my cell phone. I don't know how well it translates, but you can hear the valves which is normal and then when I pick up the rpms you can hear the secondary noise which is the piston slap. Let me know if you can hear it.

http://s859.photobucket.com/user/rwl...74F34.mp4.html

Old 04-23-2017, 02:02 PM   #14

Sorry that I don't have an answer, but my bike does not sound like that.

Old 04-23-2017, 03:29 PM   #15

does the rattle go away after it warms up?