Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2016, 05:11 PM   #1

prepping a bike for storage??

So...if you know your poor bike /bikes are going to sit idle for a while, what do you feel are critical activities to store them?

Also what constitutes a while? Some point this summer I might not be able to ride for a 4 month stretch...

The bike already lives on a tender. and based on standard google consult, I should fill the tank and add a stabilizer - sadly there is no Ethanol-free fuel to be had in these parts that I'm aware of.

Anything else critical?

Old 03-25-2016, 05:18 PM   #2

For a 4-month hiatus, I think you have things covered.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-25-2016, 05:21 PM   #3

what if it stretches to 6 months?
(I'm not happy about the situation, but at least it seems like I will at least be able to schedule this hiatus)

Old 03-25-2016, 05:46 PM   #4

I would add an ounce or so of Sta-Bil Marine to the gas tank just before you fill it at the gas station, the ride home will be enough to circulate it through the system.

1oz will treat 5 gallons of fuel for clean up and storage purposes up to a year

http://www.goldeagle.com/product/sta-bil-360-marine

I found a quart bottle at Walmart for under $12 last time I was in there

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:08 PM   #5

Ideally i think some Sta-Bil in the tank and starting it up once every other week or so would be the way to go, but I would rather drain the fuel if it won't be started up at all during the (up to) 6 months. Sta-bil and the like will keep the gas from turning, but for peace of mind I wouldn't leave fuel in the lines and tank that could potentially leak down and into the case.

I would also put the bike up on a stand (like a MX stand). Keep both the tires off the ground to avoid flat spots. Put some dryer sheets around the electrical wires and in the exhaust pipe to keep any vermin away. Lube up the chain and spin the rear tire every once in a while to keep the links from seizing.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:28 PM   #6

All of the above. Will you be away from the bike for the 4-6 months? Or will you still be at the same place bike is so you can go out and give it some TLC even if you can't ride it? Definitely keep the vermin out of exhaust and air cleaner, on and off a battery tender every 2-3 weeks, keep it under a roof so weather doesn't mess things up. Sta-bil the gas and if it's in a garage it should be OK. Better if you can have someone if not yourself go start it every few weeks and let it warm up a bar or two, pull in clutch lever multiple times so plates don't stick together. rj

Old 03-25-2016, 06:34 PM   #7

My usual practice for storing my bikes in NC for the six months they sit unused is to:

...add stabilizer and fill the fuel tank
...change the oil and filter, so contaminants don't have time to work on internal engine parts
...plug up the exhaust and air box openings to discourage mice from making nests
...check the air filter, clean and lubricate if necessary
...remove the battery, and put it on a battery tender
...jack up the bike to take the weight off the tires so they don't develop flat spots
...do a general cleaning of accumulated road grime, optional wax
...lubricate the chain, best done while warm
...cover the bike with an old bed sheet or breathable bike cover.
...optionally, I usually remove the spark plug and "fog" the cylinder

This may seem like overkill, but your bike will be ready for use with minimum fuss when you need it.

I don't recommend starting the engine. That only serves to contaminate the oil, and if you do, the engine must be run long enough to "burn off" the accumulated moisture condensation.

jb

Old 03-25-2016, 06:40 PM   #8

worst case I can let my husband ride it during that time - he has his own bike, and I'm protective/possessive of mine, but I will share if have to LOL

Old 03-25-2016, 07:19 PM   #9

I have dealt with hundreds of people who have used stabil and their carbs were a mess after storage.One of the guys was even the stabil rep who couldn't Beleive the sh1t I dug out of his carb .Just drain the fuel or go get a few cans of trufuel at Home Depot or lowes and be done with it .

Old 03-25-2016, 07:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
worst case I can let my husband ride it during that time - he has his own bike, and I'm protective/possessive of mine, but I will share if have to LOL
That is the plan I would follow.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-25-2016, 07:45 PM   #11

Bruce's - RX3 is fuel injected/no carb

Old 03-25-2016, 07:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
All of the above. Will you be away from the bike for the 4-6 months?
oh I'll be around looking at the poor thing collecting dust in the garage...then again when it gets super hot down here, my riding reduces because even with an evap vest it's just not so pleasant to ride.

Unfortunately it sounds like my foot might be in a boot of a different sort at some point this summer (I've got some partially torn tendons that require addressing) and I don't know for sure yet how long it might be before they clear me to stuff my foot into my motorcycle boot after the other boot comes off :P

Old 03-25-2016, 11:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
This is your best option. If he will commit to taking it out once a week, then everything will be kept in good shape.

Don't think of it as sharing, rather that he is doing his duty as a supportive husband by caring for your treasure.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
This is your best option. If he will commit to taking it out once a week, then everything will be kept in good shape.

Don't think of it as sharing, rather that he is doing his duty as a supportive husband by caring for your treasure.
ha! I'm sure he won't find it a hardship

Old 03-26-2016, 02:25 PM   #15

Empty tank = FeO2

I would like to point out to those that advocate draining the tank that you are then exposing the metal inside to oxygen and water condensation which can/will rust the inside. Now you are creating new problems for the fuel system.

On a carbureted engine, it's likely that a good gas filter will take care of most of the rust particles, but not all, as some are extremely small.

On injected engines like ours, the pump is the first device in the stream. I don't know it's internal design, but from the sound it's an impeller and not a piston. Either way I don't think rusty bits will be good for it. Next in line is the filter, and it will remove most of the particles that get by. Of those that are small enough to get through the filter, some will return to the tank by the return line, others will go in to the injector.

I try to always have a full/near full tank when I'm not going to be riding for a while. In cases where I've left the gas in too long, I've drained it and put it in the tank of my truck where it gets diluted with fresher gas, so no harm done.

Keep it wet and you will be happy.