Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2016, 08:23 PM   #1

RX3 Warranty

There has been some discussion recently about exactly what is covered in the RX3 warranty.

After some research and a few emails, this is what I have discerned:
(feel free to add or correct anything I have missed).

From Joe Berk's 5,000 Miles book, p. 55 & 56,
and confirmed in an email from CSC:

1 year parts and labor on all parts not considered "consumables".
2 years on parts, again not on consumables.

Consumables are:
tires
brake pads
headlight bulb
chain
sprockets
spark plug

All of these consumables are NOT covered by warranty.

The battery is considered a consumable, but has a 6 month manufacturers warranty.

Also from Joe Berks's first book:

Zongshen gives CSC a one year warranty.

To its credit, and their belief in the RX3, CSC extends the warranty for parts to a second year, for which they are not reimbursed by Zongshen.

There has been no mention of parts failures due to neglect or misuse being covered.

One problem that I was slow to pick up on (my fault), is that CSC is the distributor/retailer of the RX3 and not the manufacturer.

Zongshen, the manufacturer, is the one that actually provides the first year warranty.

CSC services the warranty.

I still can find no mention of the warranty details on the CSC website.

Also, I have been unable to find if there are any mileage limitations

EDIT: For items covered under warranty, it is free replacement, unlimited mileage, confirmed by CSC email.

In an email, I have been assured the published details are coming, but one thing slowing it down is the translation from Chinese to English.

I hope there is not too much "legalese" to translate.

IMO, it would benefit potential buyers, and CSC, to have the Terms and Conditions spelled out in detail. That way there would be no misunderstandings.

As for me, the warranty didn't have any influence on my purchase.

But it is comforting to know it is there in case of catastrophic failure.

jb

Last edited by jbfla; 03-16-2016 at 09:28 PM.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:22 PM   #2

Csc

I have ridden a little under 1.1 million miles on a variety of motorcycles, and brands. I mention this because I have had my fair share of experience with different motorcycle manufacturer's warranty and goodwill.

I mention goodwill because, my experience has been that most employees in motorcycle dealers are also riders. Many times, I have found that the dealer wants to be fair and reasonable, and treat their customers, just like they want to be treated, especially if the customer treats the dealers employees with respect.

Reading the printed warranty info to a dealer is almost always a sure way force the dealer to strictly enforce their legal rights. No goodwill , and it will usually cost you a lot more in the long run.

My CSC RX-3 cost me about $4,000 out the door. The bike has greatly exceeded my expectations.

CSC is a well run , professional organization that understands how to nurture a long term customer relationship, and the value of word of mouth referrals.

I feel very comfortable working with either Ryan, or Gerry. They are both great to work with and very fair.

CSC is a for profit business, just how much profit do you suppose they make on selling a $3500 motorcycle? BMW dealers are selling $15,000 - $20,000+ bikes, so they have a lot more flexibility to absorb costs and offer more goodwill.

The battery that I believe upset you is a $50 item. No big deal.

The question is are YOU treating CSC and their employees fairly and reasonably?

Old 03-16-2016, 09:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave92029 View Post
The question is are YOU treating CSC and their employees fairly and reasonably?
Hi Dave, thanks for your reply.

I'm not upset, or trying to cause any controversy, only clarify.

My apologies if it came across that way.

CSC has gone above and beyond to provide exemplary customer service to me and everyone else.

They are to be commended.

It has been only recently, in one case about battery failures, that there has been any disappointment.

And in that case, CSC offered to replace the out of warranty battery at a 50% discount.

If the 6 month battery warranty were clearly stated, I think any hard feelings would have been avoided.

And don't get me started on BMW...I've had several, and my experience with their customer service has been less than satisfactory...still a long time BMWMOA member.

jb

Old 03-16-2016, 09:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post

It has been only recently, in two cases about battery failures, that there has been any disappointment.

jb
Actually only One case. My battery was the second case that you are referring to, and I feel that CSC completely treated me fairly, and very reasonably.

My bike is 9 months old with nearly 5K miles on her, so the offer that Ryan made me was very appropriate IMHO.

I have absolutely no complaints or issues about how I have ever been treated. I have always received fast, courteous service from everyone whom I have had dealing with. 5 Star service.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave92029 View Post
Actually only One case. My battery was the second case that you are referring to, and I feel that CSC completely treated me fairly, and very reasonably.

My bike is 9 months old with nearly 5K miles on her, so the offer that Ryan made me was very appropriate IMHO.

I have absolutely no complaints or issues about how I have ever been treated. I have always received fast, courteous service from everyone whom I have had dealing with. 5 Star service.
Thanks Dave,

I have edited the original post to reflect your correction.

If you see my post as a criticism, that is fine.

It was not intended to be one.

jb

Old 03-17-2016, 11:23 AM   #6

Warranties are great to a point. I am of the mindset that if they are going to replace my crappy part with another crappy part I will replace it myself with better parts (unless those better parts are not available). Nothing worse than having the same problem again with new crappy parts on a long trip. Case in point the Mirrors on both RX3 ejected their reflectors on the interstate at 75 mph I did not bother to try and get CSC to replace them as it would most likely happen to the new mirrors unless the adhesive was removed and replaced with 3M adhesive. Replaced those mirrors with Double Take Mirrors and never looked back, well I did look back and didn't see my mirror reflectors shattering on the road or bouncing through traffic. Snapped U-bolt crash bars to frame mount, Batteries, Mirrors. Some things are just not worth it to warranty unless they are upgrades to OEM.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:30 AM   #7

Here's a link to the warranty description on the CSC blog - http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=13533

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 03-17-2016, 12:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger12XC View Post
Case in point the Mirrors on both RX3 ejected their reflectors on the interstate at 75 mph I did not bother to try and get CSC to replace them as it would most likely happen to the new mirrors unless the adhesive was removed and replaced with 3M adhesive. .

Unlike you, I opted to get a replacement mirror for my left hand one that did exactly that. After a couple hundred miles I found myself pushing it back into the plastic once a day to keep it from ejecting again...

Needless to say, my Double Take mirrors are arriving today!

Old 03-17-2016, 01:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
There has been no mention of parts failures due to neglect or misuse being covered...

jb
To this point I can add another win in the consumers column...my buddys RX-3 (he bought one after seeing mine and how much I loved it) had an engine failure due to pushing it to hard during the break in period. Bent a valve and the cam chain jumped. Within first 100 miles he was riding it at higher RPM's on freeway for extended period of time and then boom it happened. In his defense it definitely was unlucky, and there is not very clear instructions for break in period, especially for people that have never had brand new bikes before like myself. I consider myself lucky same thing didnt happen to me while I was probably exceeding the unknown to me at the time break in limitations. Suffice to say though, CSC picked up the bike from his house, took the old motor out put a new motor in AND they ported and polished the head on the new motor before sending it back, all at no cost to my buddy and now he really does probably have the fastest RX-3 around regardless of color. Hes got 300 miles on the new motor so far and I still think hes yet to exceed 3500 rpms Cant be too careful

Old 03-17-2016, 02:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
Here's a link to the warranty description on the CSC blog - http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=13533
Thanks Detours.

I had read it somewhere before but couldn't remember where.

I've read all the blog entries from beginning to end...hard to remember all of Joe Berk's prolific writing.

Glad your memory is better than mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdude View Post
To this point I can add another win in the consumers column...my buddys RX-3 (he bought one after seeing mine and how much I loved it) had an engine failure due to pushing it to hard during the break in period. Bent a valve and the cam chain jumped. Within first 100 miles he was riding it at higher RPM's on freeway for extended period of time and then boom it happened. In his defense it definitely was unlucky, and there is not very clear instructions for break in period, especially for people that have never had brand new bikes before like myself. I consider myself lucky same thing didnt happen to me while I was probably exceeding the unknown to me at the time break in limitations. Suffice to say though, CSC picked up the bike from his house, took the old motor out put a new motor in AND they ported and polished the head on the new motor before sending it back, all at no cost to my buddy and now he really does probably have the fastest RX-3 around regardless of color. Hes got 300 miles on the new motor so far and I still think hes yet to exceed 3500 rpms Cant be too careful
Excellent, Superdude.

I remember reading your posts, and was impressed with CSC's response.

To repeat, my intention in this thread was to clarify what is and isn't covered by the RX3 warranty.

It was not intended as a criticism, only a clarification.

IMO, CSC has gone beyond what most people would have expected from a motorcycle retailer.

Feel free to use this thread to post your positive experiences with CSC.

jb

Old 03-17-2016, 03:22 PM   #11

CSC is by far the best taking care of warranty issues and generally making things right that are not warranty issues per say. My clutch leaver was broken during shipping and bolts missing for trunk and windshield. I had them within a few days once I notified CSC of the problem.

I can't say the same for Triumph I showed the service Tech where the clutch master cylinder dripped brake fluid onto the gas tank and bubbled the paint. this was during the 500 mi service visit 6 months ago. They have still not taken care of it. When I bought the bike the mirror was broken due to someone grabbing it when the bike tipped over and snapped the top off. They said go ahead and take the bike we will call you when it comes in. I sat there for an hour while I made them take one off a bike in the showroom because of past experiences with dealers not following through on what they say they will do. I ordered two face shields from the same dealer for my HJC Helmets and they refused to check into why the Shields where 1 week late on showing up, they just kept telling me they are on order. Come to find out they never ordered the face shields the first time and took 19 days when it should have taken 5 days.

Not for a minute did I think this about CSC because they have done every single thing they said they would from day one. Other dealerships could learn a thing or two about customer service from CSC.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:18 AM   #12

"Not for a minute did I think this about CSC because they have done every single thing they said they would from day one. Other dealerships could learn a thing or two about customer service from CSC.
Not for a minute did I think this about CSC because they have done every single thing they said they would from day one. Other dealerships could learn a thing or two about customer service from CSC.
Not for a minute did I think this about CSC because they have done every single thing they said they would from day one. Other dealerships could learn a thing or two about customer service from CSC. "

here here!

Everyone go to the fridge and grab a beverage and we'll give a toast for their par excellent customer service. rj

Old 03-18-2016, 12:31 PM   #13

I read through all the thread posts once more and I am puzzled.

I guess I am the only one that thinks it is odd that the only mention of the warranty is in a blog, a book, and in emails, and not on the website or manuals.

Moderators are welcomed to delete the thread.

jb

Old 03-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #14

jb, I don't think your odd for wondering about the warranty at all. Your probably on a higher plane then most of us being more astute to technical thingies . In my case , being a rather simple sort of fellow ,I just take their (CSC) word for it and if issues come up, then we adjust the needed stratagem to get it solved. "Live and let live , till you have to kill them" I always say. rj

Old 03-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #15

I'm a wrench turner, I don't care about warranties. As long as I can buy the parts I'm OK with it being Chinese, sold from a distributor. There has never been a time in my life when buying something new, like a car or bike, that a warranty has swayed me one way or the other in my purchases.

In fact the few times that I needed to use the warranty because of a catastrophic failure, I've been let down and burned by the dealer who was supposed to honor said warranty. I'm looking at you Kawasaki and Triumph!