Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2023, 03:46 PM   #1

Brand new to the forum and motorcycles!

Hello! I've never riden a motorcycle before and was reading a few threads on here regarding the Hawk 250 I had arrive today, I'm still putting everything together, but noticed that the motorcycle sits way too high for me, I'm 5'6" and I can BARELY touch the ground with my toes.

I read a few threads on here regarding changing the rear shock to lower the ride height? I'm guessing the stock rear shock is 320mm? I plan on using this mostly on the road as a back up commuter, so I was looking at a 290mm shock that would supposedly give me 3 more inches to work with?

I was looking at the following shock on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...C5ZG4UYX&psc=1

Any recommendations when it comes to a rider my height?

Old 07-18-2023, 08:46 AM   #2

first, welcome.

I'd suggest rather than the expense of a shock that you look at a lowering link for the hawk. The front is easy enough to lower by sliding the fork tubes up in the triple tree.

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.

Old 07-18-2023, 10:32 AM   #3

I'm hoping to get mine today or tomorrow. My plan is to grease axles, check the valve lash, oil chain/lube cables with WD40, change spark plug to NGK DPR8EIX-9, dump the engine oil that it comes with cold, put in Rotella T4 15W40, putt it around a little, then dump that oil while still hot and put in fresh oil. Then putt it around to break it in.

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 07-18-2023, 11:22 AM   #4

There are 5ft tall ladies riding bikes bigger than this, while you can certainly lower the bike, there are other options that involve just changing your techniques.

First get it out of your head that you need to have both feet flat on the ground.
Also, lowering the bike will absolutely change it's suspension and handling characteristics, not always for the better.

Here are some YT vids to check out for more tips.

Old 07-18-2023, 01:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard_Cain View Post
There are 5ft tall ladies riding bikes bigger than this, while you can certainly lower the bike, there are other options that involve just changing your techniques.

First get it out of your head that you need to have both feet flat on the ground.
Also, lowering the bike will absolutely change it's suspension and handling characteristics, not always for the better.
Thank you so much! I will watch these now! Perhaps I won't have to spend any extra money. I do still plan on doing the all the other things mentioned on this forum as well, like checking the valve lash, changing the oil before the first run, thread locking many of the bolts, and greasing stuff up.

Old 07-19-2023, 08:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorogumo4 View Post
Thank you so much! I will watch these now! Perhaps I won't have to spend any extra money. I do still plan on doing the all the other things mentioned on this forum as well, like checking the valve lash, changing the oil before the first run, thread locking many of the bolts, and greasing stuff up.
Solid plan! Also double check the torque of critical fasteners.. I find using Honda published torque specs when possible a good rule to live by.

Old 07-19-2023, 10:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
first, welcome.

I'd suggest rather than the expense of a shock that you look at a lowering link for the hawk. The front is easy enough to lower by sliding the fork tubes up in the triple tree.
No such thing as a lowering link for a Hawk. They are direct mounted, only a shorter shock will work.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 07-19-2023, 10:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Hello! I've never riden a motorcycle before and was reading a few threads on here regarding the Hawk 250 I had arrive today, I'm still putting everything together, but noticed that the motorcycle sits way too high for me, I'm 5'6" and I can BARELY touch the ground with my toes.

I read a few threads on here regarding changing the rear shock to lower the ride height? I'm guessing the stock rear shock is 320mm? I plan on using this mostly on the road as a back up commuter, so I was looking at a 290mm shock that would supposedly give me 3 more inches to work with?

I was looking at the following shock on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...C5ZG4UYX&psc=1

Any recommendations when it comes to a rider my height?

If you go to the link to my Hawk in my description and scroll down to the pictures. That is how your bike would sit if you installed a roughly 300mm long rear shock on a Hawk and leave the front at full ride.height.

That should get your feat more firmly on the ground, and in my experience just makes the Hawk a much better riding.and stable bike. I do not recommend lowering the front if you don't have to, and if you do, no more than an inch.

One option for a direct bolt on shock that will lower the rear of the Hawk is to actually use a Bashan Brozz shock. it's about 300mm long and also has preload adjustment.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Last edited by Megadan; 07-19-2023 at 08:15 PM.

Old 07-20-2023, 03:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard_Cain View Post
Solid plan! Also double check the torque of critical fasteners.. I find using Honda published torque specs when possible a good rule to live by.
As an update. Yesterday I changed the oil with 15w-40 Rotella, I also put in 92 octane gasoline. Tightened up a few bolts, killed the battery just trying to get a few things idleing right. And well. Today, I jumped it off with my portable battery jumper and took my first ride in my yard!

Found first gear no problem, cruized around getting a feel for the bike, came to a stop. Forgot to go into neutral woops. So it stalled. Started it back up, got going. Came to a stop after finding neutral. Started going again in 1st gear, tried switching to neutral after a few laps around my house and hit 2nd gear LOL, a bit of a scare there but remained calm and got it back down to first, then to neutral, and stopped. And now that I was feeling a bit more comfortable I tried coming to a stop switching to neutral and setting down my left leg this time incase I ran into an incline in the future wanted to practice that and fell. Haha. All is good though!

I'm getting pretty comfortable with the one foot method for everything, getting comfortable with my clutch and throttle. Coming to a stop is still a bit of a struggle since I'm pretty short but, we're getting there and I'm not struggling too much.

I still need to adjust the valves, you can realy hear them clacking about.

And I had a question as well.

I have the choke positioned all the way down. I.E. I pushed the lever down not up. I was struggling having it staying running with the choke all the way up, but once I got it all the way down and adjusted the idler, starts up PERFECT and idles great.

Is it ideal to have the choke all the way down? Does that mean the choke is closed or open? Adjusting the choke just adjusts the amount of air that comes in right?

Old 07-20-2023, 06:18 PM   #10

Assuming that you are in the USA, Motorcycle Safety Foundation
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Old 07-20-2023, 06:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Pete View Post
Assuming that you are in the USA, Motorcycle Safety Foundation
I am, seems I need these?
North Carolina
3WBRC
BRC
BRC2 License Waiver

Just finished putting around the house again this time tried making sure to get into second and drive around and get into first. Getting used to turning as well, still a little scary to me leaning the bike but I'm leaning myself the opposite of my turn. Feels a bit more comfortable and stable that way and seen some videos recommending it.

Old 07-20-2023, 06:24 PM   #12

I'm loving this so far! I feel a bit of a rush after getting off the bike and sitting down in the house haha.

Though, question... The Hawk seems to have a bit of play in the throttle before you really start getting any gas applied, is that normal?

Old 07-20-2023, 07:38 PM   #13

there should be a little play in both clutch and throttle cables full lock to lock steering..

Old 07-20-2023, 08:10 PM   #14

Quote:
I am, seems I need these?
North Carolina
3WBRC
BRC
BRC2 License Waiver
You will need to confirm with your motor vehicles department.

In Texas of you already have a Texas Drivers License and want to have the motorcycle endorsement added you:

1. Take the BRC
2. Complete the BRC
3. Take your BRC completion certificate to the Texas motor vehicles department
4. They issue you your M endorsement immediately and mail your new permanent license in the mail. No need to take either the Texas State written examination or the riding examination.

As a bonus you tell your insurance company you have your BRC certificate and they discount your insurance.

I found this on a web search, you'll need to confirm it locally. "Upon successful completion of the BRC, you will be issued a skills waiver card for the NCDMV. This means the DMV will not require you to take their motorcycle riding test. You will still be required to visit your local DMV office and take their written exam before being issued a motorcycle endorsement."
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Old 07-21-2023, 12:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Pete View Post
Upon successful completion of the BRC, you will be issued a skills waiver card for the NCDMV. This means the DMV will not require you to take their motorcycle riding test. You will still be required to visit your local DMV office and take their written exam before being issued a motorcycle endorsement.
Yeah this is what I was reading as well, seems to stand true for North Carolina, so I will definitally take up this course. Though may put around my backyard some more just to get more comfortable with the controls and everything.

Do these driving test schools usually have you bring your own motorcycle? Or do they have ones for you to use? I think I would rather learn on the bike I'm actually going to be driving haha. Still very nervous about that. But even then, it's like 15 miles from me, so I assume I'd have to legally, tow it there? I'm not comfortable enough to get on the road yet....

Tags
290mm, hawk 250, new rider, rear suspension