Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2008, 12:46 PM   #31

project

i remember back in the early 70's , guy's used to remake , modify, frames to fit an engine or change the suspention, yur bringing back old memories, keep the pics coming
DD

Old 04-20-2008, 06:54 PM   #32

I got some more grinding, cutting and welding(chinese style ) done today.

I can now drop the engine in there any where I want it and just have to wait for parts now.

After measuring I think I can use the manifold I found but wont know for sure until it gets here.

So there isnt much room for the carb just yet as you can see in that picture but I hope the intake I have found will drop the carb downand over to the side just enough.
So I need :

a 12t #520 counter sprocket
a blaster chain set
and most likely I'll just buy a blaster swingarm bearing kit.

After I get all those parts I should be able to atleast get the engine mounts done then it all down hill.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:25 AM   #33

:?: or since your cutin and weldin, cut that cross brace out , move it up an inch or two, or lower it, the one right behind the carb, just a thought , and you've probly went there already, and did'nt want to go there

Old 04-21-2008, 05:50 AM   #34

Yeah I was eyeing that up but those two cross braces right there hold the upper shock mount so I wont disturb them if I dont have to.

Right now its on hold until I get some parts in.

My hope is that the intake manifold I bought will put the carb in a much better spot.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:04 PM   #35

Ummm

Umm if you don't want to cut that out like the DesertDog sudgested ( me too would start cutting ) they do make complete 90* intake manifolds you know ? Problem solved, your motor sits soooo far back in that frame it wouldn't effect your legs either .
Just a thought .

Although if worst came to worse it looks like you can weld just fine and changing those shock strutts will not be an issue if they are welded good. JMHO.
Looks good, glad to see your doing her !

Cheers, kelly5150 out

Old 04-23-2008, 03:28 AM   #36

I got sort of an S shaped intake coming that I hope puts the carb down and over in the clear but I wont know how it will work until it gets here.
This to me is about the best option as it should lower the carb enough to clear everything but I do wonder how a 4.5-5" long intake will affect tuning, if at all.
There are also different style carbs that I might be able to use but i dont like them with their electric chokes.

If it comes down to cutting those crossmembers out then out they will go and I'll just have to rebuild the mount.

I also have some sprockets on the way for the engine which will help me locate the engine and set the mounts.

I still have to rebuild the swingarm pivot bushings/bearings as those have to be tight to get the chain lined up correctly and all thats in there is a steel rod right now :roll: .
I got to look and see whats useable out of all my parts for the swingarm but I may just go and buy a new bearing set for it.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:03 AM   #37

Good choice on the new nearing idea

Good choice on the new bearing idea. Don't mess around with that part of the suspension, do it right, or it will do you !

Having an "S" shape intake will only slow the first initial gasp of air it chokes into the carb, after that , the "S" restriction from its turn will act like backpressure and make a Venturi effect rather than bog it down , so you should be good to go . Should not be a problem at all. It is knida like the guys that rough up there intake ports to swirl the gas around a bit more, which causes backpressure too and even atomizes the gas even further, equals better burn . Your Golden man !!!!

Later, Cheers and good luck on the new parts, hope they get there soon Don't you just hate waiting ? I do ! Then if the wrong part shows up, I go into deep depression . Or if the right part shows and it doesn't fit because we over thought the idea to start with, that is even worse . I have come up with a nice little vocabulary in my garage at times after tearing into my order boxes

Kelly out

Old 04-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #38

I remember a buddy of mine had a Trials 80 Yamaha. The carb on that thing was right up gainst the jug. I think that was one of the ways they improved the torque on that little engine. You could put the front tire up against a tree and let the clutch out and back tire would just start turning.
Loads of torque.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:34 PM   #39

Quote:
I have come up with a nice little vocabulary in my garage at times after tearing into my order boxes
I call that my "magic chant of cuss words" tool ( sadly its the only tool I can always find in my tool box).

I havnt looked over the swingarm bearings I have just yet but I am leaning towards all new ones just so I know its all good.

Yeah I dont expect to much trouble from a long intake just some tuning needed should ba all I just hope it solves the problem.
I'm more concerned with the leverage it will have and the bouncing around with the weight of the carb and filter on it but I may just make a support bracket and end that probelm also.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:13 PM   #40

Well some parts are on the way.

2 front sprockets
1 S shaped intake
and a swingarm bearing set

I also have a CDI unit coming and will most likely try it on this once it is up and running.

I still have a lot of parts to get but I'll take it a little at a time.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #41

Good idea

Good idea to take is at you can , you never know what you need till you add a few parts here and there anyway . Seams to change other parts adding parts to a build , thats for sure . Then of course there is the MONEY aspect too, which I am sure we all know that one or we'd be driving Mercedez Benz and probably owne half a dozen KTM's .
I am pretty sure thats why were mostly about China here anyway right, a bargain is a bargain .
Cool, new parts !!!!
I swear by those performance or No rev CDI units, they work great, cheap and a real nice upgrade over stock anything .

Cheers, good luck, excited for you to see it comming along . Too bad we have to pay bills at the same time huh ? Oh well, such is life .

Kellyout

Old 04-28-2008, 01:21 PM   #42

I got my intake today and it looks promising but I havnt had time to mess with it since I am at home but on the clock. (lunch break)

It looks like it will drop the carb down a whopping 3" and move it rearward 4".

Now if it all just lines up correctly that will be a done deal.

I'll try messing with it when I get home and take some pictures.

worst case senario might be the carb tilted to far to one side but I'll just make an corrective aluminum plate for that if it comes up.

I'm silly I know for thinking I need the carb straight up and down and not tilted to far front or back (just a nice level float bowl is all I want)

Old 04-28-2008, 01:37 PM   #43

Sounds like a fun little project. I knew better than to sell my 350 warrior after the engine blew... Oh well $800 bucks in the wallet for a worn out 350 warrior rolling chassis = good enough for me :wink:

Old 04-28-2008, 04:08 PM   #44

Teamcheap

TeamCheap,
that aint silly thinking, that's "Correct" thinking .

Hope it all works out .

Cheers, kelly5150

Old 04-28-2008, 06:32 PM   #45

kelly5150 I know it has to be very close to work best.

Some people may think you can just slap this stuff together but a little time to get things aligned saves a lot more time dowen the road.

OK here are some pics.

This is the engine all the way forward which helps clear the tank but the counter sprocket is way to far forward also.

So I guess I'll just find a spot for the carb behind the upper shock cross members and go from there.
Atleast that way it will wheelie real easy.