Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2016, 08:27 PM   #1

A little update on my bike problem mentioned above. Road it again today with 3/4 of a tank of gas , it started dying intermittently again. I nursed it back to my shop and figured it had to be something I did since I adjusted the valves a few weeks ago. Maybe I put a kink in the gas line when I put tank back on? Anyways it all looked OK. I also put back in the old S'plug if perchance the new NGK was faulty. I grabbed the battery tender lead to plug it in for charging cause I kinda ran the battery down trying to start it out in the country. It came away from the terminals that had been loosened an not retightened by someone (ahem). Apparently it made good enough contact most of the time but giggled loose some of the time keeping it from running all of the time. As I took it on a test run after tightening and buttoning everything back up I remember my dad telling me that most problems that seem complex usually aren't. Well except for woman
Thanks dad, rj

Old 04-13-2016, 08:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
A little update on my bike problem mentioned above. Road it again today with 3/4 of a tank of gas , it started dying intermittently again. I nursed it back to my shop and figured it had to be something I did since I adjusted the valves a few weeks ago. Maybe I put a kink in the gas line when I put tank back on? Anyways it all looked OK. I also put back in the old S'plug if perchance the new NGK was faulty. I grabbed the battery tender lead to plug it in for charging cause I kinda ran the battery down trying to start it out in the country. It came away from the terminals that had been loosened an not retightened by someone (ahem). Apparently it made good enough contact most of the time but giggled loose some of the time keeping it from running all of the time. As I took it on a test run after tightening and buttoning everything back up I remember my dad telling me that most problems that seem complex usually aren't. Well except for woman
Thanks dad, rj
I'm glad you found the problem, RJ. Thanks for posting the update.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-13-2016, 09:09 PM   #3

It's amazing how those electric problems can present themselves in different ways, causing us to chase down the wrong rabbit holes. I was betting on a dying fuel pump. Good thing I don't gamble. Glad you found issue, more experience points
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 04-15-2016, 08:12 PM   #4

Today after 6700 miles and a year of ownership my OEM battery finally failed. Got a new one locally cause I wanted to ride this week end. For what it's worth, the $72 Wal-Mart Everstart AGM ES-TX12 will not fit as it's about 1/4" to tall. rj

Old 04-15-2016, 08:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Today after 6700 miles and a year of ownership my OEM battery finally failed. Got a new one locally cause I wanted to ride this week end. For what it's worth, the $72 Wal-Mart Everstart AGM ES-TX12 will not fit as it's about 1/4" to tall. rj
What battery did you purchase, and where did you buy it?

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-16-2016, 12:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
What battery did you purchase, and where did you buy it?
Spud,
Bit the bullet and went to local USA Honda shop where they had a BikeMaster brand non-spillable battery BTZ12S for $86 plus tax. Fit just like the original. The Wal-Mart AGM one that didn't fit was $72. rj

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BikeMaster-F...dXDzn7&vxp=mtr

Old 04-16-2016, 12:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Spud,
Bit the bullet and went to local USA Honda shop where they had a BikeMaster brand non-spillable battery BTZ12S for $86 plus tax. Fit just like the original. The Wal-Mart AGM one that didn't fit was $72. rj

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BikeMaster-F...dXDzn7&vxp=mtr
Thanks for posting the link, Rob.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-16-2016, 12:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Just slice 1/4" off the bottom and seal it with Saran Wrap.
You're welcome.