Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2015, 02:46 AM   #31

Damn, my frame also looks "faded" like that but I think I messed it up when I tried to wash with some degreaser for ovens

Now, I just "polish" it after every wash by wiping it with the greasiest rag I can find in the garage. Once wiped with a thin coat of oil (plus whatever else happens to be on the rag), it's all good until the next wash.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:09 PM   #32

Success - deposit paid, just awaiting the licence plate number to be issued and I can arrange the insurance (fully comprehensive, rider only, £185) (USD290). Delivery one evening next week . . .
Velocettes (various)
Piaggio's / Honda's / Yamaha's
Raptor . . . . the List Goes On . . . .

Old 05-21-2015, 04:00 PM   #33

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-22-2015, 12:27 AM   #34

Congrats! I'm looking forward to seeing it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-29-2015, 07:00 AM   #35

IT's ARRIVED. The dealer turned up last evening at 20:00 with the bike, sun was out so could inspect it. Looks very good, the re-polish of all the paintwork worked. There are a few marks on the soft fenders but I intend to have them painted / dipped at some stage, so not bothered. Today it is pouring with rain :( I have de-decaled the side panels, the stickers are like those that come as security stickers, they peel off tiny bit-by-bit - took me ages. Now the bad news - I am off on a business trip early hours tomorrow so won't get a chance to ride it for over a week :0 It's like a Christmas present where you dont get any batteries and can only stare . . .

Our number plates are huge - 9" x 7" so they can be read by the ANPR cameras (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) - these check youu have paid your road tax and are insured (all insurance companies link to it). However, I have put one on that is 8" x 6" so it doesn't look so big. It is now the same width as the rear fender. Its a $50 / £30 fine if they stop you and want to create a fuss - but my numbers and letters are legal size, so I should be OK.

I have list of tweaks to do so I will make separate posts / photo's when I get a chance on my return from Russia.

ATB

Jeff
Velocettes (various)

Old 05-29-2015, 11:23 AM   #36

Awesome news! Looking forward to pics and details when you can.

How is the vodka in Russia?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-29-2015, 11:40 AM   #37

Some very good Vodka indeed, trouble is, I am almost tea-total these days. The UK recommended max alcohol intake a week for men is 21 units. (14 for women). A pint of beer or a glass of wine is 1.5 to 2 units. If I drink 2 units a week, I would be surprised. Luckily my colleagues in Moscow recognise this and dont try and push too many toasts at me, or if they do, they dont mind if I just sip rather than down the shot in one go. It does updset them though, they think it is totally weird to sip a spirit drink. Eating though, thats a different story. They have sent me a list of where we will be eating every night. Three of my favourits are on the list - the Pushkin Restaurant, The Sky Lounge and the White Rabbit. The White Rabbit is the only restaurant in Russia that appears on the top 100 restaurants of the World (#71 from memory). It's a hard life . . . . . but someone has to do it.
Velocettes (various)

Old 05-29-2015, 11:42 AM   #38

Thanks for taking one for the team.

I'll try to stay under 12 units for the weekend.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:08 PM   #39

I'm glad the bike looks good. Have a good time in Russia.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #40

Weldangrind, I appreciate the support.

Spud, I have been visiting Russia since the 80's and things are a lot safer now. The first time we went we had very visible minders and we were not allowed to go anywhere without them. Now it's like anywhere else in the world, big cities, too much traffic, same label goods you can buy anywhere, Coke, Pepsi, sidewalk cafes. The museums and theatre are possibly the best in the world though. I was recently treated to go see Ivan the Terrible at the Bolshoi - I had never appreciated ballet, especially when you see it on T.V. and wonder what the heck it's all about. Now I would happily go anytime (but not at Bolshoi prices - cripes, I could buy a new motorbike for what a couple of good seats cost my client).
Velocettes (various)

Old 05-30-2015, 12:44 AM   #41

That sounds fascinating to me, and I'd love to go. To me, an adventure like Long Way Round would be the ultimate way to see Russia.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:15 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTHSPACE View Post
Weldangrind, I appreciate the support.

Spud, I have been visiting Russia since the 80's and things are a lot safer now. The first time we went we had very visible minders and we were not allowed to go anywhere without them. Now it's like anywhere else in the world, big cities, too much traffic, same label goods you can buy anywhere, Coke, Pepsi, sidewalk cafes. The museums and theatre are possibly the best in the world though. I was recently treated to go see Ivan the Terrible at the Bolshoi - I had never appreciated ballet, especially when you see it on T.V. and wonder what the heck it's all about. Now I would happily go anytime (but not at Bolshoi prices - cripes, I could buy a new motorbike for what a couple of good seats cost my client).
The Russian people are wonderful. I'm sorry they have suffered so much. I'm glad to hear things are safer, and more prosperous in Russia.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-30-2015, 08:46 AM   #43

Sanctions are really hurting - $/Rub has halved (or doubled whichever way you look at it). I am in the non-sanctioned area of aerospace but we are looking at the edge as relations get shakier. One of my clients uses the ISS and relies on Russian launches although he does launch on Japanese and U.S. carriers as well. However, if it gets really silly, no-one will come out of it unscathed. Another client has a joint Russian/French satellite under construction and the Russian/French relations crashed after France cancelled the sale of two ships to Russia - who are now sueing France for a billion Euro . . . It starts . . . .
Velocettes (various)

Old 05-31-2015, 12:42 AM   #44

I'm truly sorry to hear of the problems over there. We certainly don't need yet another war.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-18-2015, 07:33 AM   #45

Send a message via Skype™ to thedoc62
joining the pack

gonna get my preowned V Raptor 250 on monday, exactly on my 53th Bday....
i'll be the third owner and since it's a 2013 bike with 4700 km I think I got a pretty good deal at 820 euros...............LOL
hope i'll enjoy the bike as much as most owners seemed to
online comments are mostly enthusiastic (as long as it's understood that it's not a Japanese or German or Italian bike)
greeting everybody from Naples, Italy !!!