Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt

Old 05-29-2015, 10:58 PM   #1

Please help identify my engine

Hello forum. first post here.

I have been riding a bike my brother found super cheap, its a bit sluggish, but its been a great learner bike.
its an Apollo Orion 250 (AFAIK)

trying to work out what my engine is tho, so i can get potentially a new cylinder/piston set (it blows a little smoke) and gasket set so i can correctly put it back together...

according to google, the engine number doesnt match my engine...

ZS167FMM according to the engine number but that says aircooled, and mine is water cooled...

heres some pics.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:01 PM   #2

Zongshen water-cooled CG250
Compatible from parts wholesaler:
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=41686390298 | http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=36318424530
Genuine:
http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=39554502240

Old 05-29-2015, 11:08 PM   #3

wow that was super quick.

can i just swap an air cooled top end on it?? seems like the more common engine.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:25 AM   #4

Welcome!

It would depend on the stud spacing. There are two sizes of CG that I'm familiar with, yours being the larger of the two. My guess is that even though the air cooled reference is wrong, the bore is actually 67mm. That would put your motor around 230 actual cc's. You'd need to remove the head and measure it to be sure.

I'm not sure about the water pump, or how it is driven. I have an engine like that, but I haven't torn into it yet. Perhaps you could just remove the water pump and install a regular side cover.

I really like that Orion frame; it seems to have a removable subframe. Does it use a suspension link, or does the shock bolt to the swingarm? That swingarm looks awesome, BTW.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-30-2015, 01:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Welcome!
thank you

Quote:
It would depend on the stud spacing. There are two sizes of CG that I'm familiar with, yours being the larger of the two. My guess is that even though the air cooled reference is wrong, the bore is actually 67mm. That would put your motor around 230 actual cc's. You'd need to remove the head and measure it to be sure.
id like to keep the watercooling for consistency, but its just getting hot and boiling when i ride slow, like first gear crawling and such.. tempted to fit a fan to the radiator but not sure how much that would even help, or where to pick voltage from.. my brother claims the rectifier, but im not so sure...

Quote:
I'm not sure about the water pump, or how it is driven. I have an engine like that, but I haven't torn into it yet. Perhaps you could just remove the water pump and install a regular side cover.
hmm i dont wanna rip in just yet until i have a good gasket set ready to go, only then will i go any further, but thats my dilemma... wont know exactly what it is until i open it up.

Quote:
I really like that Orion frame; it seems to have a removable subframe. Does it use a suspension link, or does the shock bolt to the swingarm? That swingarm looks awesome, BTW.
it is a nice looking frame for sure. the rear setup is similar to a cantilever, the shock isnt directly on the swing arm. i like it since winding the spring up a little tighter, it was bottoming out when i first got it.
yes, the rear section of the frame is removable, as per one of my pictures.

blue bike is mine, and my brothers white air cooled version.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:54 AM   #6

You could use a cheap test light and probe the harness. I suspect that you'll find unused connectors behind the number plate that could power a fan. Without a fan, the rad will struggle to cool the rad.

Are you in Australia?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-30-2015, 02:03 AM   #7

yeh, perhaps i should make an effort and fit a couple fans then. i do have a test light so finding voltage probably not such a hard effort.

yes, located in australia.

made the decision whilst talking with workmates, going to take the bike to a shop this friday and see if i can purchase a gasket set and ring set and just dig in. worst case, its a week away before i can get the correct ring set.

plan to do some major port work, they are nice shape, but very heavily clogged up with casting marks. should make a nice improvement.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
... to a shop this friday and see if i can purchase a gasket set and ring set and just dig in. worst case, its a week away before i can get the correct ring set...
67mm [1.2/1.2/2.5] rings are as std Yamaha AG bike

Old 05-30-2015, 02:28 AM   #9

interesting discovery there humanbeing

Old 05-30-2015, 03:50 AM   #10

Rings maker tells the truth.
Regular:
http://www.dongya.cn/prodlist.asp?page=8&tp=4&keywords=
Longer life:
http://www.dongya.cn/prodlist.asp?page=3&tp=6&keywords=
---
LY200 = Yammie 200 clone.
(model N = from '01) http://www.manualslib.com/manual/837...n.html?page=11
15A-11603-00 http://www.millwaysparesonline.com.a.../part/M.143938

Old 05-30-2015, 11:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
plan to do some major port work, they are nice shape, but very heavily clogged up with casting marks. should make a nice improvement.
I'm most interested in your port work. I'm familiar with the process of smoothing out the short side radius and blending into the bowl, but I've never tried it on one of these engines. Please take pics of the process.