Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #1

Father & Son Bikes

So my son has been riding his 110cc Loncin ATV for a few years now and has wanted a dirt bike for a while. My wife and I told him a year or so ago that when he is 7 we will get him a dirt bike, he turned 7 in November and has been bugging us since.

Last weekend we went and bought him a 2015 Honda CRF110F so he can use it for a few years until he outgrows it then his brother can ride it (my younger son gets the ATV this year). While we were there I also purchased myself a 2002 Yamaha WR250F, my first bike in 20 years.

After waiting all week to ride we took them out to a local spot by the river and tried them out. For his very first time on a dirt bike he did very well and now wants to go every Sunday, which I am fine with of course. We were going to take the atv with us but the battery finally died, grabbed a new one today so we can take it next time.

It was a great day out with the family and friends and we are looking forward to a lot more riding in 2015.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:32 PM   #2

Very nice. Your son looks all kindsa cool in all his gear on his bike. I forsee a future motorcross professional rider in your home.

/

Old 01-19-2015, 03:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Very nice. Your son looks all kindsa cool in all his gear on his bike. I forsee a future motorcross professional rider in your home.

/
Thanks, I am just happy he is enjoying it as much as he is. Shortly after these photos were taken I talked to him about rider position and he sits a lot further forward now than in the pictures. I have even more gear on the way for him, goggles, neck brace, gloves, knee guards, I am such an overprotective parent lol. When I was his age I was riding a 1986 Yamaha 225 3-Wheeler in shorts and a t-shirt with an open face helmet.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:24 PM   #4

Beautiful bikes! Were you riding at Peg Leg?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-19-2015, 05:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Beautiful bikes! Were you riding at Peg Leg?
Thank you, it wasn't Peg, we went to Gill Road. My son rode around the parking area with my wife or myself watching him (and for cars). I checked out the sand bar area with a friend who has a Yamaha Raptor. I like how open it is for him and myself to get some seat time on these bikes. The only issues I have are the a**holes in there 4x4's who don't feel the need to slow down while driving the dirt road into Gill and all of the dumping that people do. I will be taking my son with me this spring when they do the annual river cleanup down there. I want him to appreciate all the spots we are able to go riding.

Last edited by bcboy4ca; 01-19-2015 at 06:33 PM.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:52 PM   #6

cool, cool and cool

we frequent Gill Rd. as well with our Chinese atv's but soon I will be riding my grizzly 660 there and ripping the hell out of some of the deeper areas there in the trails where the Chinese atv's dare not tread.......except for me

Old 01-19-2015, 09:55 PM   #7

Nickelmine is an excellent place to take your son, with little worry about vehicles.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-20-2015, 12:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifekrisiz View Post
cool, cool and cool

we frequent Gill Rd. as well with our Chinese atv's but soon I will be riding my grizzly 660 there and ripping the hell out of some of the deeper areas there in the trails where the Chinese atv's dare not tread.......except for me
I was checking out your Grizzly in your thread, that thing is a beast. After checking out your ride reports and seeing how you go mudding on your Chinese ATV I have no doubt that you will tackle all the holes at Gill. There were a lot of trails that I would not even attempt. Hope to see you out there some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Nickelmine is an excellent place to take your son, with little worry about vehicles.
Is Nicklemine open to everyone? I thought it was a riding area for the Fraser Valley Dirt Riders club.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboy4ca View Post
Is Nicklemine open to everyone? I thought it was a riding area for the Fraser Valley Dirt Riders club.
If you park outside the gates, you can ride around them. That said, the annual family pass is quite affordable, and part of the money goes to the BC Off-Road Maintenance Association (BCORMA). Money well spent. The rest of the cash is used to maintain the trails at Nickelmine and to put on special events, like poker runs. It's a great way to ride and meet other riding families.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:55 AM   #10

You did a good job shopping. Both of those bikes are excellent motorcycles.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-20-2015, 02:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
You did a good job shopping. Both of those bikes are excellent motorcycles.

Thanks SpudRider. I was looking for used bikes for my son but the price difference between new and used on these smaller CRF's isn't very much so we got him the new one. Hoping he gets 3-4 years of trouble free riding out of it then his younger brother will hopefully get another 3-4 before he outgrows it.

For myself I was actually going to the dealer to look at a 2001 XR200 but it felt a little small (height wise) for me so I started checking out the 2002 WR250F and loved it as soon as I sat on it. It may be 13 years old but it is pretty clean and runs good, as long as I keep up on the maintenance I hope it lasts a long time. The only issue I am having, which appears to be common to these bikes, is a bad bog when trying to crack the throttle off idle so it looks like I may have some tinkering to do with the carb.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:58 PM   #12

Here is some quick videos of my son riding around

http://vid286.photobucket.com/albums...psabjygwea.mp4

http://vid286.photobucket.com/albums...psjrmaiif6.mp4

We just put the bike in 2nd gear and let him ride around, he can learn shifting when he is a little more comfortable. It is also governed to about half throttle.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:00 PM   #13

Man he is having a great time. Kinda wish I was there to ride with him. LOL

/

Old 01-20-2015, 05:44 PM   #14

Those are great videos. You can see him gaining confidence as he rides.

I think you were wise to buy a new CRF. Take care of it, and it will hold its value very well. Then, after both your sons outgrow it, you will sell it for a good price.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-20-2015, 06:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Those are great videos. You can see him gaining confidence as he rides.

I think you were wise to buy a new CRF. Take care of it, and it will hold its value very well. Then, after both your sons outgrow it, you will sell it for a good price.
I actually think my wife has her eye on it, not that she will admit it lol