Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2017, 07:58 PM   #796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisin_with_CJ View Post
Best pictures I can take, where is air and which is idle
Looks like you also have a head gasket seeping oil in those pics. That's why there's an oil film there where the head meets the jug.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:21 PM   #797

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyC View Post
Looks like you also have a head gasket seeping oil in those pics. That's why there's an oil film there where the head meets the jug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
Well, I said 1 1/2 turns out on the idle mixture adjustment screw. 2 1/2 is almost to where the screw will fall out. The idle speed screw will only reduce engine speed if the throttle cable isn' too tight. To help your memory a little, the idle mixture screw controls the fuel mixture only at, and just above, idle. The pilot jet controls mixture from just above idle to 1/4 throttle. After 1/4 throttle the needle adds to the amount of gas supplied by the pilot jet. From 1/4 to 3/4 throttle, the needle is richening the mixture, with the help of the pilot jet. From 3/4 throttle to wide open, the mixture is almost totally controlled by the main jet, the pilot jet adds a little fuel. So, once you learn where 1/4 throttle is, if the engine runs bad in this range, it's the pilot jet. If it runs ok down low, but gives trouble above 1/4 throttle, the problem is either the needle position or the main jet. If it pulls good at anywhere above 3/4 throttle, the problem is not the main jet, it is the needle position. The needle clip should be in the middle slot on the upper part of the needle. This is the basic way to set up a carburetor. If it is set like this, and still runs lousy, it is either a problem in the carburetor OR THE VALVES ARE SET TOO TIGHT. .002 on the intake, and .003 (inch) on the exhaust is the spec. If the previous owner never set the valves, this could be the root of your problem...ARH
Thank you all for your help.
I will go through the carb and make sure it is set like that. If I remember correctly, The needle is set at the bottom, not the middle, I'll change that. I'll also go get a set of feeler gauges and adjust the valves, the blue one I'm working on has about 600 miles on it so it could be the valves.
If all else fails ill send the carb back and find something else that will work I guess.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:10 PM   #798

Quote:
Thank you all for your help.
I will go through the carb and make sure it is set like that. If I remember correctly, The needle is set at the bottom, not the middle, I'll change that. I'll also go get a set of feeler gauges and adjust the valves, the blue one I'm working on has about 600 miles on it so it could be the valves.
If all else fails ill send the carb back and find something else that will work I guess.
If you mean the needle clip is set in the bottom groove, that means maximum rich between 1/4 and 3/4 throttle. If it's doggy or whooly(exhaust sound) that might be the problem. I'm curious. Did you buy the carburetor, or did it come with the bike. If it came with the carb installed, it is entirely possible that the Previous Owner has gotten it totally out of tune. Just stay with us, and we will work it out together...ARH ..PS going to bed now. Be back in the morning.

Old 06-04-2017, 10:07 PM   #799

For some reason the mikuni clones seem to usually come with the needle set in the richest position. I can only assume this is done to help prevent people destroying their engines from a too lean condition. I am running a 30 pilot, needle centered, and 110 main jet to start on my stock bike. It may be a wee bit on the rich side, but not overly so.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-04-2017, 10:12 PM   #800

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyC View Post
or in my case it was the little bolt on the back of the head that had loosened a little. i thought it was a valve cover leak.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 06-05-2017, 07:54 AM   #801

Quote:
If you mean the needle clip is set in the bottom groove, that means maximum rich between 1/4 and 3/4 throttle. If it's doggy or whooly(exhaust sound) that might be the problem. I'm curious. Did you buy the carburetor, or did it come with the bike. If it came with the carb installed, it is entirely possible that the Previous Owner has gotten it totally out of tune. Just stay with us, and we will work it out together...ARH ..PS going to bed now. Be back in the morning.
I bought it and put it on myself.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:13 AM   #802

Quote:
I bought it and put it on myself.
OK, good to know. You've already checked that the slide operates correctly? Goes all the way up, and drops like a French Guillotene? This Mikuni that you have is different than the ones I'm familiar with. When I recommended the Mikuni, I was refering to the ones that had a brass screw on the right side for mixture, and a brass screw on the left side for idle speed. The quality of the castings on the one with the phillips headed screws are not as good as the brass screwed ones. May be a different manufacturer. Check the inside for casting flash, and machining swarf in the jets, including the needle jet. The needle jet is the one that the main jet screws into the bottom of. I'd even look for scratches on the needle it self. China doesn't have trade mark laws like we have. They can hang any name they want to on their product....ARH

Old 06-05-2017, 10:43 AM   #803

Quote:
OK, good to know. You've already checked that the slide operates correctly? Goes all the way up, and drops like a French Guillotene? This Mikuni that you have is different than the ones I'm familiar with. When I recommended the Mikuni, I was refering to the ones that had a brass screw on the right side for mixture, and a brass screw on the left side for idle speed. The quality of the castings on the one with the phillips headed screws are not as good as the brass screwed ones. May be a different manufacturer. Check the inside for casting flash, and machining swarf in the jets, including the needle jet. The needle jet is the one that the main jet screws into the bottom of. I'd even look for scratches on the needle it self. China doesn't have trade mark laws like we have. They can hang any name they want to on their product....ARH
Would you have a link to the one you are talking about by chance? Id rather just send the one i have back and get one i can actually adjust without having to burn myself. Im about to head where i left it and do a bit of tinkering, hopfully i can get it home, only 5 min away

Old 06-05-2017, 01:09 PM   #804

Quote:
Would you have a link to the one you are talking about by chance? Id rather just send the one i have back and get one i can actually adjust without having to burn myself. Im about to head where i left it and do a bit of tinkering, hopfully i can get it home, only 5 min away
I don't know how to do a link. I'm barely computer literate. I don't even know enough to know what I don't know. I googled up Mikuni VM26 Carburetors. When the page opened, I tried Amazon first. No luck, only the more expensive models. Then I tried e-bay. When their page opened up, it had mucho models, so I went up to the top and added VM-26 to the address, and up they all came. Be sure to very carefully examine ALL of the provided pictures. You are looking for brass screws on opposite sides of the carburetor. If they do not show the brass screws, pass on to the next one. You will find one. They are around $30.00...ARH

Old 06-05-2017, 01:50 PM   #805

Quote:
I don't know how to do a link. I'm barely computer literate. I don't even know enough to know what I don't know. I googled up Mikuni VM26 Carburetors. When the page opened, I tried Amazon first. No luck, only the more expensive models. Then I tried e-bay. When their page opened up, it had mucho models, so I went up to the top and added VM-26 to the address, and up they all came. Be sure to very carefully examine ALL of the provided pictures. You are looking for brass screws on opposite sides of the carburetor. If they do not show the brass screws, pass on to the next one. You will find one. They are around $30.00...ARH
ok, ill do that!

Old 06-05-2017, 03:47 PM   #806

Quote:
ok, ill do that!
Great idea...ARH

Old 06-05-2017, 06:03 PM   #807

Hi guys, newbie here. Does anyone know which speedo cable works as a replacement for the hawk 250? I'm hoping for a Honda/other part number. I checked theRPS.net and a new stock one is $45 which seems steep. I'm also going to call motion pro to see if they have anything stock that matches.

Mine got caught on my horn while I was in the woods and is now kinked pretty impressively. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Old 06-06-2017, 08:32 AM   #808

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamey View Post
Hi guys, newbie here. Does anyone know which speedo cable works as a replacement for the hawk 250? I'm hoping for a Honda/other part number. I checked theRPS.net and a new stock one is $45 which seems steep. I'm also going to call motion pro to see if they have anything stock that matches.

Mine got caught on my horn while I was in the woods and is now kinked pretty impressively. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
PM me. I have one I took off when I got the digital cluster. I'll ship to you if you pay the shipping.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 06-06-2017, 09:19 AM   #809

Quote:
ok, ill do that!
Hey CJ, did you find anything you liked?...ARH

Old 06-06-2017, 10:58 AM   #810

I ordered one from BANGGOOD.COM I should know in a couple weeks.

https://www.banggood.com/40inch-Spee...l?rmmds=search