Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #31

Get yourself in the MSF course. http://www.msf-usa.org

Old 04-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoX
Oh one more thing. My understanding is that the engine oil also acts as the transmission oil right? That's why you use wet clutch oil correct?

I know that may sound a bit dumb but I am really a total motorcycle noob here.
That's correct; you want to avoid "energy conserving" motor oils which are too slippery for your clutch to function properly.

Your questions are excellent, and we welcome them. You came to the right place, Gonzo. Unlike most internet forums, we pride ourselves in maintaining a polite, helpful atmosphere at China Riders.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #33

Here's another homework assignment. If you really want to know about engine oil for your motorcycle, read the following articles.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Consumables.html
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html

I use 15W/40, diesel motor oil in all my motorcycles. I was running Shell, Rotella, T-6, Synthetic motor oil for quite a while in my Zong. I now use 15W/40 motor oil in all my motorcycles. My Zongshen 200GY-2 now has over 45,000 miles on the odometer, so I guess my choice of motor oil hasn't hurt the engine.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #34

Oh the clutch cable. Didnt even think of that. I do know it seems to work fine since the clutch is free of any friction once I depress it. But I will check it again to see if it needs adjustment. TY.

I do remember somebody at work suggested I use diesel commercial motor oil as well. Will remember this once I break the bike in.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #35

The cables are notoriously dry from the factory. Buy yourself a cable luber like this one from Motorcycle Superstore: Motion Pro Cable Luber Use whatever aerosol lube you wish that has a straw; you'll need the straw for the luber. Like I shared with you before, I like Maxima Chain Wax for cables and chains.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #36

Quote:
And yes I am taking the MFS class 11-13May.
Excellent news. That's a good decision.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
And yes I am taking the MFS class 11-13May.
Excellent news. That's a good decision.
X2; taking the MSF class is one of the best decisions you will ever make.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #38

Harbor freight had cable lubers on sale for $3 the last time i was in there.

Btw.....neat bike!

Old 05-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #39

OK I have a confession to make.

I still need to take the class next weekend and I do not have an M designation on my class C lic. But I could not stand it any longer.
I am sure some of you will chew me out for this but at least Im being honest.

I RODE MY BIKE! OMG I feel like a teenager again. No wonder middle aged men buy these damn things!

I only rode around the block of my neighborhood. Low traffic and I thought I was pretty safe. I did get insurance on it. Only cost me $77.

A few notes: Manual is completely wrong about shifting. It says one up for 1st and four down for the rest of the gears. The transmission is the complete opposit on mine. One down for first and four up. I am happy for this as this seems more natural to me.

Only issue I still have is that I can find neutral just fine while engine is off but almost impossible to find while engine is running.

I did put chain oil on but have yet to lube the clutch cable. Maybe that is the reason. Did some research and most info I got was that I may need to adjust clutch cable, change engine oil type or adjust clutch itself. I pray that the fix is an easy and cheap one.

Engine sputtered and hesitated a bit until it warmed up. Not sure why. Maybe it takes a while to warm up. Let it warm for 1 min only and then I put the choke in the full open possition.

I have to admit, there was a time when I thought to myself that I may have been making a big mistake and what did I get myself into. But damn I feel like a kid again. Soooo worth it! Most fun I have had with my clothes on.

On another forum ppl suggested I buy a new NKG spark plug. Seems to run fine but plugs are cheap so I may do that anyway just to be safe. May also replace the metal filter with a paper element. Not sure I trust the stock filter.

I did get some really strange looks and one guy pulled over and asked me if my DF250 was a harley. That made my day LOL.

Anyway, dont be too hard on me. I was like a 16yr old boy on his first date with a hottie and I had no self control. I had to ride her LOL.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #40

One down and four up is the standard shift patten. A real NGK plug is $2 at Oreilly's. Most likely your carb is set too lean and causing the sputtering until it gets warmed up good.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
One down and four up is the standard shift patten. A real NGK plug is $2 at Oreilly's. Most likely your carb is set too lean and causing the sputtering until it gets warmed up good.
I agree with Allen. Get the real, NGK spark plug for $2 at the local auto parts store. You got the standard shift pattern; good for you!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-07-2012, 01:36 AM   #42

I'll respond to your lawlessness. I did exactly the same thing with my first bike. I hope you can control yourself from here forward; good luck with the MSF course.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I'll respond to your lawlessness. I did exactly the same thing with my first bike. I hope you can control yourself from here forward; good luck with the MSF course.
Um yeahhhh. It's like sleeping in the same bed with bride to be the day before your wedding LOL.

Will cold showers help?

Old 05-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #44

Take the chain off and give it to your wife. Problem solved.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #45

Be prepared for an excellent learning experience at the MSF class next weekend, Gonzo. Be well rested and prepared to learn as much as you can. After the class is over, begin immediately to practice all the mental strategies and physical skills you learned during class. These skills and strategies can save you from serious injury or death while riding on the street. I'm sure my life has been spared several times by practicing the methods I learned from my rider safety class. 8O

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220