Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #106

I read the complaint a lot about it being hard to find neutral at a stop with engine running. First thing to check is the cable adjustment for the clutch. It may have too much freeplay, so that when you pull the lever, it isn't totally disengaging. Some older bikes, as in Triumphs, BSAs, Bultacos, etc, may have an internal adjustment. These were usually under a small round, cover on a side case on the engine, and had a slotted adjuster and a lock nut. On an old Bultaco Lobito I had, the problem was so bad, and common on those, that the dealer cut the clutch rod, which went all the way through the engine, and put a ball bearing in there. That finally fixed it.
But, even when the adjustment is perfect, some motorcycles will always be hard to find neutral at a stop when running. Many years ago, I got into the habit of snicking the trans into neutral while the bike was still rolling a bit. If you do get stopped without doing this, I find I can often let the clutch lever out just a bit when stopped, and even let the bike even move just slightly forward, which takes the load off , and then lift the shifter a bit into neutral. Sometimes, you'll end up in 2nd, and have to do it over again. Despite what the safety courses suggest, I never sit at a stop in gear with the clutch lever pulled in, as it is hard on the throwout mechanism. I never do it in a manual car either.

Just my 2 cents on this, seemingly very common subject.

By the way, I do like the silver bobber.