Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2016, 12:44 PM   #1

Spud, RX3 offroad capable?

Have a friend who likes getting remote. He asked me what i knew about the RX3 which i'll admit is very little. He is a retired fellow and don't do the internet lol. Anyways i told him i would ask around. He currently rides a mid 80 XRF350 but has a hard time packing what he needs for a week or 2 in the mountains. He likes the idea of the "luggage" on the RX3 but he is concerned it is to high geared for mountain riding, (miles of single track) and that the tires are more highway than dual sport. Have you taken your RX where you have taken your 200 in the past or are you sticking to graded roads? If you have been off road, How does the bike handle on mountain twisties and steep hills? He really don't want to spend the $$$$ on a jap bike as he is retired on a limited income.......

Old 04-10-2016, 03:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
Have a friend who likes getting remote. He asked me what i knew about the RX3 which i'll admit is very little. He is a retired fellow and don't do the internet lol. Anyways i told him i would ask around. He currently rides a mid 80 XRF350 but has a hard time packing what he needs for a week or 2 in the mountains. He likes the idea of the "luggage" on the RX3 but he is concerned it is to high geared for mountain riding, (miles of single track) and that the tires are more highway than dual sport...
The Zongshen RX3 is an adventure bike, and is not suitable for single track riding. However, the RX3 handles everything from fire roads to interstate highways pretty well. You can find very agressive, knobby tires for the RX3 wheels, including Kenda K760 tires. I currently have a pair of Shinko 244 tires mounted on my RX3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
...Have you taken your RX where you have taken your 200 in the past or are you sticking to graded roads? If you have been off road, How does the bike handle on mountain twisties and steep hills? He really don't want to spend the $$$$ on a jap bike as he is retired on a limited income.......
My RX3 is not as good in the dirt as my Zongshen Sierra 200, which is a dual sport bike. I ride fire roads with my RX3, and mild dual track trails. If you install a 13T counter shaft (C/S) sprocket, the bike will do well on steep, twisty roads at Rocky Mountain elevations.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-10-2016, 04:18 PM   #3

Thanks Spud, I'm sure you know how my area is. We are 90 miles from ANY interstate. I live in a valley of 90,000 and can be in the mountains in 5 minutes. Do you think he could re-sprocket the RX3 and change the tires or is it just too heavy? Sure would be nice if a Chinese company would come out with something in between......

Old 04-10-2016, 04:55 PM   #4

You're welcome.

The RX3 is too heavy, and the suspension lacks enough travel to be a dual sport motorcycle. The RX3 is a nice little adventure motorcycle, which does surprising well when riding off road. However, if your friend wants to ride more that fire roads, he should get a Hawk, just as you did.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-10-2016, 06:08 PM   #5

Or a CSC TT250

Old 04-10-2016, 07:47 PM   #6

I have to say while spud is correct I have already ridden 200+ miles of single track with the tourfellas on. It is low and slow but can be done, it all depends on exactly what he is expecting, it is heavy and fairly high geared for the speeds at which single track can be done. With the luggage it is wide so tight maneuvers are limited. Many bikes not considered to be adventure bikes yet people are riding them everywhere. I use my bike to stealth camp and get away from people and it works.