Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2017, 08:27 AM   #1

Hawk mikuni carb set up

I first tried to tune stock carb , but found out the pilot jet is a hard find . So I ordered a VM26 last nite . Looking for close set up for jets and air screw mix to save time , and because I am basicly lazy and wanna ride rather than tune .
Aftermarket pipe , open air box with Uni filter , and 250 miles on her .
I have the jet kit and thinking 120 main and 1 1/2 air screw out , needle 2 down spacing , but pilot is where I am not informed yet . Suggestions to my thinking and what pilot to I get coming ?
BTW flat land Wi so like low sea level settings . Can one but a pilot jet assortment anymore ?? I am about 20 years out of carb tuning , I was in shape and had hair back in those days.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:05 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail32 View Post
I first tried to tune stock carb , but found out the pilot jet is a hard find . So I ordered a VM26 last nite . Looking for close set up for jets and air screw mix to save time , and because I am basicly lazy and wanna ride rather than tune .
Aftermarket pipe , open air box with Uni filter , and 250 miles on her .
I have the jet kit and thinking 120 main and 1 1/2 air screw out , needle 2 down spacing , but pilot is where I am not informed yet . Suggestions to my thinking and what pilot to I get coming ?
BTW flat land Wi so like low sea level settings . Can one but a pilot jet assortment anymore ?? I am about 20 years out of carb tuning , I was in shape and had hair back in those days.
I have a 30 pilot and 120 main jet on mine with similar mods and it's been running good.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I have a 30 pilot and 120 main jet on mine with similar mods and it's been running good.
That sounds about right...ARH

Old 03-17-2017, 10:03 AM   #4

Thanks guys , heading to local Kawasaki , Yamaha , suzuzuki dealer this morning and ordering me the pilot . Thanks , gotta love ya guys !!

Old 03-17-2017, 03:35 PM   #5

I put my mikuni on today. Set it up with the factory 20 pilot and a 115 main. 1 1/2 out on the A/F screw. Needle in the middle slot. I have the "air box mod" and a gutted cat. So I'm not getting as much air as Rail32. I'd give it a try but it's time for me to go do adult stuff.

Old 03-17-2017, 05:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscooter View Post
I put my mikuni on today. Set it up with the factory 20 pilot and a 115 main. 1 1/2 out on the A/F screw. Needle in the middle slot. I have the "air box mod" and a gutted cat. So I'm not getting as much air as Rail32. I'd give it a try but it's time for me to go do adult stuff.
How sad for you !
I terrorized the neighborhood ditches , my lawn , woods is awe fully soupy , and a kick spin uptown as soon as most of the snow melted of the roads . That's about as adult as I get

Old 03-17-2017, 08:17 PM   #7

Oh No

Got a few minutes to play with it. Cracked the throttle, full choke and it fires right up. It's really a cold natured beastie. Got tired of waiting for it to warm fully so I rode around the yard. 2nd gear loads it up too much. It won't run off full choke. Ordered some pilot jets and will put in a 120 main. At least it's easy on and off. When I get it running a bit better, then I'll do ARH's set up method. How long does it take to warm one up? Yeah, no patience at all.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:40 PM   #8

Head Scratching Mikuni VM26

Just got my jets for my Mikuni VM26, was running the stock one. Any advise on the install? I've never changed a jet before, zero experience. I'm at 600' elev. Gonna start w/ the 115. I also just got a 43mm Uni pod filter and the upgraded exhaust. First bike.... Cheers!

Old 03-17-2017, 08:52 PM   #9

ARH has this post at around 12 today. http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...468#post247468

Old 03-17-2017, 09:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Got a few minutes to play with it. Cracked the throttle, full choke and it fires right up. It's really a cold natured beastie. Got tired of waiting for it to warm fully so I rode around the yard. 2nd gear loads it up too much. It won't run off full choke. Ordered some pilot jets and will put in a 120 main. At least it's easy on and off. When I get it running a bit better, then I'll do ARH's set up method. How long does it take to warm one up? Yeah, no patience at all.
10 minutes!!!!!!

Old 03-19-2017, 12:01 AM   #11

Question

I could use some insight on the Mikuni. I see the main jet, the pilot jet, the bowl drain screw, and what I assume to be the idle adjustment on the right side. The adjustment screw in the recess on the bottom should be set at what? It looks to be the same as the pilot screw on my old VTX that fine turned the idle. So to start, set the idle screw on the side at 1 1/2 out. What about the bottom screw? It's 3/4 out now.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:37 AM   #12

Quote:
I could use some insight on the Mikuni. I see the main jet, the pilot jet, the bowl drain screw, and what I assume to be the idle adjustment on the right side. The adjustment screw in the recess on the bottom should be set at what? It looks to be the same as the pilot screw on my old VTX that fine turned the idle. So to start, set the idle screw on the side at 1 1/2 out. What about the bottom screw? It's 3/4 out now.
Guess is 1 1/2 , but only a guess . Or that's where I will start when mine arrives with a 120 main and a 30 pilot .

Old 03-19-2017, 11:21 AM   #13

That idle speed screw on the side of the carb will most likely be off at 1-1/2 turns out.

The 1-1/2 turns out recommendation is for the Pilot Screw (bottom of carb) starting point

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:47 AM   #14

Thanks for the suggestions. I've read several posts and it seems the term for idle screw is used for both screws. Carbs puzzle me. I'll attack the mikuni again later this week when the new pilot jets arrive. Back to stock for now to get in some riding on the warm days ahead.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I've read several posts and it seems the term for idle screw is used for both screws. Carbs puzzle me. I'll attack the mikuni again later this week when the new pilot jets arrive. Back to stock for now to get in some riding on the warm days ahead.
I'm 99% sure that I always have mentioned the idle mixture screw. On a Mikuni, the idle speed screw is on the opposite side of the carb. Important to understand the difference between idle mixture and idle speed. The idle speed screw only raises or lowers the slide. The idle mixture screw only controls the fuel mixture at idle.....ARH