Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2016, 12:56 PM   #1

My bike is... Crooked??

So yesterday for some reason, I glanced at my RX3 sitting in the driveway and thought that the rear tire looked offset to the rear fender... I shook it off because the bike was on its side stand.

So when I got home from work, I put it up on the center stand, and sure enough, the rear tire is not centered to the rear fender...

I snapped a couple pictures from as close to dead on as I could...

Any ideas about this? I have never even dropped the bike, much less hit something hard enough to tweak the frame... If the frame is even bent... Any ideas about how to check?

Or am I making this a big deal for no reason, and all the bikes are like this?

Old 06-23-2016, 01:06 PM   #2

Most likely the plastic fender is the part that is off center. You can check the wheel alignment easily enough. Lay a long board so it touches the rear tire in two places. Best to elevate the board off the ground by a few inches. Then observe how that lines up with the front tire. Another check is to measure from swingarm to rear axle bolt (on each side) to insure the axle is parallel to the swingarm axle. I doubt the frame is tweaked.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #3

+1.

Also some motorcycles the swingarm is not made to be 'on center' to compensate for unequal side to side weight distribution from the design process. Older British bikes are known for this.

I'd be interested in your fellow RX3 owner's observations of their own bikes with pictures if possible to compare. I bet they are all the same.

Ride the bike on a straight level road in low wind conditions. Pick a road with minimal crown. If she tracks straight hands off without having to shift your weight you're good to go.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Most likely the plastic fender is the part that is off center. Another check is to measure from swingarm to rear axle bolt (on each side) to insure the axle is parallel to the swingarm axle. I doubt the frame is tweaked.
What pyoungbl said.
Odds are it may be the plastic fender but also check the rear wheel alignment. I must admit, this is the easiest rear wheel I've ever aligned while adjusting my chain. As the tutorial shows, pull the plastic caps off the swingarm pivot bolt on each side and use a tape measure back to the axle on each side. Nothing's in the way to obstruct it and you can get it perfectly straight.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-23-2016, 01:16 PM   #5

Rico, as you look at your photo, cover your hand over the licence plate /fender and just look at the sprocket /arm assembly, Looks symmetrical in that respect. But check it out regardless.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 06-23-2016, 04:39 PM   #6

Lots of good suggestions. I would remove the chain guard and front sprocket cover and sight down the chain. If the two sprockets and chain are in perfect alignment then you are good to go.

/

Old 06-23-2016, 04:42 PM   #7

All the RX3 have some degree of offset in relation to the tire/fender. It's common. Mine on the other hand was twisted and I had to loosen the subframe and realign it. It's not perfect but its not noticeable when I'm riding it.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:49 PM   #8

My fender is offset in the opposite direction as yours. My wife's RX3 looks the same as yours. The fenders may need to be adjusted a bit plastics are flimsy and can get tweaked a bit during production and storage before they make it on the bike. I'm not worried about it as the bike tracks straight.
2015 RX3 Cyclone (White)
2015 RX3 Cyclone (Orange)
2016 Honda CB500X

Old 06-23-2016, 08:41 PM   #9

Mine looks like yours ricko. I just ride it side saddle and nobody pays attention to the rear fender. Drives nice though, rj

Old 06-24-2016, 12:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickosuave1987 View Post
So when I got home from work, I put it up on the center stand, and sure enough, the rear tire is not centered to the rear fender...
Loosen the fender mounting bolts.
Shift the fender to center.
Tighten mounting bolts.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #11

I hauled butt home last night to look at mine and it's perfectly straight. How come I have the odd one?

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-24-2016, 11:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I hauled butt home last night to look at mine and it's perfectly straight. How come I have the odd one?
Very unusual.

California units tend to lean strongly to the Left.

You must have the foothills version ;-)

Old 06-27-2016, 04:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger12XC View Post
My fender is offset in the opposite direction as yours. My wife's RX3 looks the same as yours. The fenders may need to be adjusted a bit plastics are flimsy and can get tweaked a bit during production and storage before they make it on the bike. I'm not worried about it as the bike tracks straight.
X2; my fender is also tilted slightly to the right. I don't worry about it, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
Very unusual.

California units tend to lean strongly to the Left.

You must have the foothills version ;-)
As expected, my Idaho version leans to the right.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-28-2016, 08:39 PM   #14

Thanks for the replies everyone. I haven't had a chance to check the squareness to the front wheel, but will soon.

It might be worth noting that I do sometimes feel like the bike tries to drift to the left if I am not holding the bars. I always figured I was shifting my weight funny to cause that.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:01 AM   #15

If you don't have weird tire wear happening, I agree with the rest of the group...it's the fender.

I too was looking my bike over. I had a buddy of mine check out the bike for the first time and when he sat on it, he told me my front end was off center. Looking closer, the welding of the bar that holds the headlight and front fairing does appear to be off a bit. I do not see any wear on the tires that would indicate it being the whole front end, so I suspect it is what it is. After all, it is a bike where they cut some corners, I was never expecting perfection. Although, it does come close.

2016 Zongshen RX3 (CSC Cyclone)

Pay it Forward!