Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2016, 11:23 AM   #1

Rx3-p

I am the Chief of Police for a University Police Department in Alabama. I am looking at the RX3-P as a patrol bike for on and around campus use. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions from those of you that are familiar with this bike.

Thank you in advance.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:13 PM   #2

Welcome aboard Chief. Retired municipal patrolman here from Charleston Illinois, home of Eastern Illinois University. My experience leads me to believe the RX3 would make an outstanding patrol asset as well as a fabulous community policing and positive interaction tool. In that vein when on a bike you are just more accessible to face to face positive contact with the people you are serving. Add to that the means to have a community outreach program for basic motorcycle safety & security and you've yet another positive contact with the public. The patrol aspect is entirely different. These bikes are damned nimble and can scoot around and through places a squad car just can't. Their actual size and engine displacement are a positive as it doesn't weigh well over 700 lbs, the engine doesn't generate loads of oppressive heat for the rider and it is more than capable of offering acceptable emergency response speeds in smaller more heavily pedestrian traffic areas.

Just my thoughts ... be safe.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-16-2016, 01:36 PM   #3

Thank you for your input and thank you for your service! Your advice is particularly important as you understand the challenges of effective community policing.

I like that you mentioned how nimble the bike is. Game day operations here can snarl traffic and the ability to slide around traffic and get to hot spots is a bonus.

I do think a motor squad will be well received by the students (and the City) and generate opportunities for community interaction as well as draw attention to motorcycle safety.

And at the package price for the RX3-P of $4300 including lights and siren, it is hard to beat.

Stay dafe!

Old 06-16-2016, 02:00 PM   #4

ChiefDean , I have the civilian version RX3 with close to 9000 miles on it . I ride it all over the Pacific Northwest on camping trips.
I believe the police version would be in it's element running around campus and a valuable tool for you.
If it has a short coming since it is a 250cc engine highway speeds all day long would be it. Although that hasn't stopped any of us from going all day long at 60-65 GPS speedo miles down the freeway. This weekend I am planning running an Iron Butte 1000 miles in 24 hours with a bunch of Harley guys. Highway speeds through Idaho are around 75-80mph, I plan to stick to 60-65mph for 1000 miles in less then 24 hours.
So running around campus with the occasional 50-60 mph "donut" run would be it's forte'. The excellent water cooled motor and American Delphi fuel injection would make it ideal for campus work. The small size would be great for female officers as well as male officers that aren't huge
CSC service is getting to be legendary for helping it's buyers over and above the call of duty. Kinda like you guys on the Squad, rj

Old 06-16-2016, 02:09 PM   #5

+1

I think it would be a perfect service motor.

You won't run down a Corvette in one but for anything else it will serve well.

Some minor issues but easily addressed.

One concern is it is sometimes a challenge to find a mechanic who will work on Chinese motorcycles.

Also, consider if there will be any community backlash for using a non-American (Communist indeed) motorcycle on tax payer dollars.

I would think a $20,000+ cost savings per unit would offset misplaced patriotism however ;-)

Old 06-16-2016, 02:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
You won't run down a Corvette in one but for anything else it will serve well.
Usually don't have to as the Corvette has to outrun the radio and backup... much harder to do no matter the vehicle

The RX3's are great bikes, was having fun trying to keep up with those little fuel injected RX3 250's on my Kawasaki KLR 650 when we cruised around CO a while back

If I would have known the RX3 was that inexpensive and my 1999 KLR 650 I bought used was going to cost about the same in the end... I would be riding a new RX3 today and not looking at a 99 KLR with flat tires and crap front brakes (another $400+ project )

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:41 PM   #7

Great input. Thank you.

In the event that we have to chase, I will call the troopers and then just get there when I can LOL.

We are a private school and do not receive tax revenue (although we have state wide police jurisdiction) so there is not much concern with the import aspect. Our parents and students would appreciate the judicial use of their tuition dollars.

We do patrol the City on occasion, but in an urban environment, I do not see the top end speed being much of a limitation. I see a greater benefit in the low end maneuverability you have all mentioned.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:27 PM   #8

See my review. The low speed mauverability of this bike is outstanding.

Sounds like a perfect choice. Just make sure you have a mechanic happy to work on them.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:48 PM   #9

Chief, my son is an officer here locally with a department which just implemented a motorcycle force. theirs is different than yours as it is not such an urban circumstance, so they are on FJRs. my son really wanted to get on the motor squad, but becuase of his service on the SWAT team, there was no way to carry around the needed gear.

I know they put great assessment into the matainenance side of the equation and that's where these bikes don't have a lot of useful history. The RX3 is a nice motorcycle, but they ARE made in China where build details and tolerances are not up to other more modern production practices. do you have considerations such as that in your adoption plan?

there were some recent posts here regarding Honda's lastest 250 offerings. from a reliability standpoint (and as much as I am a fan of chinabikes), those might be more practical in the long run, all costs considered.

Good luck with your decision, and as I always tell my son....BE SAFE OUT THERE!!!

Old 06-16-2016, 04:15 PM   #10

If being "made in China " is a concern, remind them that most all their computers and cell phones and TV's and microwaves and a host of other things including students are also made in China. Just saying, rj

Old 06-16-2016, 04:33 PM   #11

Most things are made in China.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:01 PM   #12

so you are saying the build quality of the RX3 matches Japan's? I honestly don't know for sure, but suspect it's not so good. granted...only opinion and no evidence involved. I know the CEO of a company that went to China to get some electric motors manufactured because they offered better pricing and comparable build quality. the failure rates of the units went thru the roof. there are some things they ARE good at. I'm just not sure if these CBs are up to the same standards. don't get me wrong....I love owning one and am very happy with it. but I can also say that they are not as good quality. police motor units are VERY tough on their machines. I just think anyone would be short sighted not to look at long term costs. Kinda like buying a BMW.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:04 PM   #13

From talking to him last night on the phone their going to do their own maintenance.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
so you are saying the build quality of the RX3 matches Japan's? I honestly don't know for sure, but suspect it's not so good. granted...only opinion and no evidence involved. I know the CEO of a company that went to China to get some electric motors manufactured because they offered better pricing and comparable build quality. the failure rates of the units went thru the roof. there are some things they ARE good at. I'm just not sure if these CBs are up to the same standards. don't get me wrong....I love owning one and am very happy with it. but I can also say that they are not as good quality. police motor units are VERY tough on their machines. I just think anyone would be short sighted not to look at long term costs. Kinda like buying a BMW.
Thoughtful intellegent points raised here.

One way I look at it is if Japan built a $3,000 motorcycle with the standard accessories on the RX3 they would have to compromise on the build to the point it would be similar quality to the Chinese product.

Most all of the RX3 problems I've read about would not strand a motor officer on the side of the road or affect his (her) or the public's safety.

Even if they threw the RX3 into the dumpster every year it would probably still be less than the cost of a Concours, FJR, BMW, or HD (Victory, Indian, etc)

I'd hold out for a Ducati if I was the officer though. The Multistrada makes a popular police bike in Europe, and it CAN run down a Corvette ;-)

Old 06-16-2016, 05:37 PM   #15

Maybe they can find some used GS650's. They have a high quality motor in them assembled by Loncin in China. ;-)

I know there's been a long thread here on the cooling system but I can vouch for its prowess. I sat in 102+' temps last week, in traffic surrounded by hot cars and semi's on blacktop, for a half hour, and it never went over 3 bars. I was actually quite impressed. I figured it would have pegged it but no........

I think there's a lot of good points here but for the $$$, I think the RX3 would be an excellent choice for their specific needs.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350