Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2016, 09:54 PM   #1

500 mile service- DONE!

Goodness, I'm glad it is over for now. Doing a valve check or adjust is a real pain! Especially, when you have to do it twice cause you did it wrong the first time. Just like in my update post on one of the other threads called "valve adjustment notes", be sure you are using feeler gauges that are in "millimeters".

Anyways, besides doing the valve check, my husband and I did a few other things. I do know RonB had posted how he adjusted the fuel floater and we decided to do the same. Only because we would have a full tank of gas and we were only ready about 150 miles. We knew something wasn't right when others were listing 300 miles. I mean, damn, it's the break in period and we haven't been beating it up yet. We should be seeing higher mileage than 150 miles. Nonetheless, as you can see the photos below, we went all the back to the base. I'll let you know how it goes, as I clear the gas out of there this week.

To get back to doing the valve check, I forgot to mention, this job is easier with barely any fuel in the tank. My dumb ass filled it without even thinking about the fact that I was doing the 500 mile service only 2 days later. My husband rolled his eyes, but we dealt with it. We ended up getting an empty gas can and just unplugging the gas hoses and running a 3/8 rubber tube off of the tank into the spare fuel container. (see image below) Since the tank was full, this really took a long time. We did mimic the bike starting and this did push more fuel to the pump, which dumped the fuel out of the tank faster. This is a great trick if you end up doing your service on a fuel tank of gas.

Another thing we added to the bike was a quick pour oil drain. Same one Peter (pyoungbl) had purchased called the EZ oil drain. I bought it off Amazon, 16mm X 1.50. I bought it with the removable hose end, so I could use the 3/8 tubing when the oil flows out of there. Now we did have to shave a part of the drain in order to get it screwed on. The one side when you were screwing it in, just kept bumping on the frame and you get to a point you can't screw it in anymore. We just took a metal file and just shaved down a bit of it and BOOM, fit like a glove. (see photo below)

We then finished off the bike with a couple accessories; Ram Mount phone mount on the handlebars and a helmet lock just in front of the left side rear side case. (see photo below) Everything turned out good.

Just to recap, the first time you do this service interval, it will take you 5 hours! People aren't lying. I don't care how good you are at taking things apart. The second time around however, it will take you about an hour. I'm sure my 3rd, 4th, 5th and 10th time will be about the same or maybe even faster than that. Because we set the valves wrong it really took 2 days. You live and learn and that's what owning this bike is all about it. The bike teaches us patience, organization, and love for all things small. That's the ZONG life!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00347.jpg (84.7 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00349.jpg (90.1 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00342.jpg (91.0 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00350.jpg (86.2 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00358.jpg (87.7 KB, 165 views)

2016 Zongshen RX3 (CSC Cyclone)

Pay it Forward!

Old 06-06-2016, 12:34 AM   #2

Mad ,where did you get the spiffy helmet lock? rj

Old 06-06-2016, 12:40 AM   #3

Well done, Rania! You did a lot to your RX3 today! And you've joined the "Do It Again Valve Adjustment Club." I've done that and all I can say is that you're on point with being much more efficient the next time around! Hope the accomplishments were rewarded with a good ride and an adult beverage afterwards!

Old 06-06-2016, 07:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
Mad ,where did you get the spiffy helmet lock? rj
Bikers Choice Helmet Lock - they are sold everywhere, I bought it on Amazon. To add, I had to use some sticky foam pieces to fill the bar gap, since the crash bars there are smaller than anywhere else. Once I did that, it had a tighter fit with no movement.

Pay it Forward!

Old 06-06-2016, 07:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtking View Post
Hope the accomplishments were rewarded with a good ride and an adult beverage afterwards!
We had a storm come through, once we wrapped everything up. My hubby rode the bike home and we made it there by the skin of our teeth. High winds, and severe rain. Go figure! About 2 hours later, the sun set as if nothing happened.

As for beer, I always wrench with brew in hand!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00338.jpg (85.8 KB, 199 views)

Pay it Forward!

Old 06-06-2016, 08:10 AM   #6

Congrats Mad !I have mine comming up soon but since they moved our shop im only 3 miles from work and its hard to rack up the miles.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsocial View Post
As for beer, I always wrench with brew in hand!
Booo, in philly!? With so many good breweries nearby? Why the can of Currrrrs? (As pronounced in Tejas)

Dave aka Ghan

Old 06-06-2016, 09:36 AM   #8

Congratulations! It's good to hear that the second time around took much less time. I did not have to 'adjust' the quick drain in order to install it but I did install a washer between the QD and the engine block just so the lever would be oriented where it had the best access. Now an oil change will much less messy and easier to draw a sample for Blackstone.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:22 AM   #9

Awesome job! I like that helmet lock. May need to order one.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-06-2016, 10:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsocial View Post
Bikers Choice Helmet Lock - they are sold everywhere, I bought it on Amazon. To add, I had to use some sticky foam pieces to fill the bar gap, since the crash bars there are smaller than anywhere else. Once I did that, it had a tighter fit with no movement.
This was the first thing my wife asked about the bike -- does it have a helmet lock? The my old R850R does, and she actually uses it. Might have to snag one of these as well.

Dave

Old 06-06-2016, 01:02 PM   #11

congrats on getting that 500 mi service done!
Glad to hear the valve adjustment gets easier with practice -I'm not looking forward to doing it again....also with the number of times i've pulled the tank off, I would think Id be getting better at it - though every single time it seems like quite the tight squeeze to get everything back underneath and get it seated!

Old 06-06-2016, 02:14 PM   #12

Doh!

i have pulled the covers off and on so many times i have damaged the screw holes in the cheap brittle plastic on my bashan blaze. so just take it easy and don't cause more problems than you fix.

plastic......grrrrr-rrrrr
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 06-06-2016, 03:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
Glad to hear the valve adjustment gets easier with practice -I'm not looking forward to doing it again....also with the number of times i've pulled the tank off, I would think Id be getting better at it - though every single time it seems like quite the tight squeeze to get everything back underneath and get it seated!
I have yet to figure out how to slide the fuel filter on the tang under the tank without it binding when i try to put tank back on. If i let it sit to the side tank goes down easy with no problems

Old 06-06-2016, 05:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
Same here. I got it all back together after my valve adjust and the tank was sitting just a tad sideways (tilted). I lifted the rear and didn't see anything binding so I rearranged it all a little and it went on ok. I just didn't want to kink any of the lines.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-06-2016, 09:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaniba View Post
Booo, in philly!? With so many good breweries nearby? Why the can of Currrrrs? (As pronounced in Tejas)

Dave aka Ghan
I was not in my own home. I was at the in-laws. They have the garage. It was Coors light or Bud light.

Pay it Forward!