Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2019, 12:18 AM   #1

75+mph 5 speed 125cc 4 stroke ??

Hey guys. Recently I have seen the motorcycle in the link below and another similar one with just different fairings and trim. On different sites including this one linked I have seen one or both listed with top speeds of 75 mph? and at least one web site or YT video Claims a 5 speed!!? Y'all know anything about this; Do you know if there is any truth to the top speed or 5 speed transmission claims?
Has anyone seen or ridden or owned one? I sold my Vader, sadly, because Im moving...but I had a good experience, got most of my money back so I already want another similar brand new BOOM brand bike or maybe a used bigger one for similar money

Edit:: I keep looking at different web sites that carry these bikes and some sites claim 55+ mph some claim 65+mph and some claim 75+mph! They do have on at least one some really large 17" rims with the included tire making the front wheel height 23 odd inches and the rear 25ish"--so that might significantly increase the top speed plus it seems to have better front fairings than the Vader which has the same engine I do believe--IF the bike can still pull enough revs like maybe if Belmonte or Venom upgrades the carb/intake maybe emissions also then maybe it can pull high revs and if you add bigger front/smaller rear sprockets then shoot maybe I could totally see it breaking 65MPH IF ...IF it can still pull high revs. I personally like the Vader or Retro style more but if the speed claims have any truth and if these are significantly faster, then I MIGHT consider trying one for a year or part of a year before selling and trying a different brand new bike. Again!

Also I know I have seen at least 1 YT video saying it has a 5 speed tranny but I'm thinking that was just a bs mistake

75+mph
https://www.powersportsmax.com/produ...ducts_id/21853

https://www.powersportsmax.com/produ...ducts_id/21852

Same bike Claims 55+mph!?
https://www.atvconnectionusa.com/col...-big-17-wheels

Or does it go 65+mph like this site says???!!!
https://www.belmontebikes.com/produc...4-speed-manual

"Life's too short not to enjoy it-So's my China Bike!"-Me

Last edited by sirmaxwell; 06-20-2019 at 01:10 AM.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:44 AM   #2

I hate it when they post inaccurate speeds. That may be what the speedometer reads but we know how far they can be off. lol Personally I would spend the $500 more and get a Lifan KPR 200 that will do 80+ mph. Water cooled, fuel injected and 6 speed. http://shopapmc.com/New-American-Lif...line_p_58.html
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 06-20-2019, 10:05 AM   #3

I have a yamaha TTR125 (with 150 big bore kit and fmf exhaust) It goes like 50pmh (on grass) I don;t think changing the gearing would get anymore speed.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:09 AM   #4

i think they oversee that its actually 75kph.
i assume the specs are sent to dealers in metric and the dealers take advantage of this oversight. 47mph is most likely on a stock 125cc chonda.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by imapdog View Post
i think they oversee that its actually 75kph.
This, or they browse forums and find tuned up monsters and use their tops speed claims...

Seen a lot of "80+ miles per hour, depending on riders weight" claims show up on the 200cc and 229cc China Bikes, but only after a few of us on this site started slapping on the 17/39 combo on our tuned up bikes used to be in the "55 - 65mph" range on those websites

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:00 PM   #6

Both those Bikes in the links are the "full size" Boom 125, they use the exact same engine as is in your Vader or other China clone. Yes, it has bigger wheels etc but it also has more weight and a higher profile to push through the wind. It is a 4 speed just like a "Vader" style Boom 125 , there is no way jose' it is going to run 75 mph "out of the box"and i doubt even a pipe , carb, filter and gear change would get you to 75 honest mph.

Maybe they read "75 kph" on the speedo and thought it was mph, lmao.
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 06-20-2019, 02:39 PM   #7

Grin

Yeah I dont see 75MPH happening on a flat road surface without everything being tuned and maybe a bbk and crazy best race head ever and race fuel, a race tuck with a Kindergartener or a pet monkey riding it and a tailwind maybe haha --that's a BIG MAYBE and would only work if the aerodynamics were wind tunnel tuned--which I bet these fairings arent all that, although the aeros might be better than on the Vader, but I am not into knowing about aerodynamics so I cant tell or even guess just by looking at it.

Yeah it is the same engine so I would assume if the mostly stock 125cc Vader with a tuned carb and sprockets can break 55MPH maybe touch 60mph with a lighter, tucked rider--and the Vader can even hit about 55mph with a monster 205 pounder like me on the comparitively small Vader---Then this other Boom motorcycle MAYBE can break 60, 65MPH dead tops with me on it--and I wouldnt really bet too much on 65 unless it also had a 140's cc BBK on it also and all around favorable conditions for the ride.

When I rode 50cc scooters I noticed one scooter I had with 13" wheels always did seem to go a few MPH faster than scooters setup the same way with 10" wheels--maybe at most +5mph, although maybe it also had something to do with long vs short transmission cases on the same bore x stroke and same crank. I could always hit an verified 40mph in good conditions on an honestly flat looooong straight road on my 13" wheeled 4 stroke 50cc --whereas most everyone else tops out at 45mph when doing a light tune like I had---I never even bothered with tuning my scooter carb up or fancy tranny parts or "better" CDI and I never did any BBK on it, although I had the 72cc ready to go when a I made a lazy mechanic's error and forced that scooter into a bit of an early retirement.

so I wouldnt be too surprised if the bike can still make the same revs and has bigger wheels and say it has the same sprockets--then it should make something like a couple MPH more right there maybe 2-3...yeah I would say probably with a sprocket swap, maybe also a tuned carb/new carb if it comes like the stock Vader maybe it could get closer to 60MPH with me on it whereas the Vader was closing in on 55mph with me on it and bone stock carb stock everything except 17t front sprocket--AND I never tried to do a top speed tooo hard. In fact I sold that Vader just a few hundred miles after I called my break in about good enough.

The BoomRetro with larger wheels than the Vader and less fairings I think---also claims nearly 58.5 or 59.5MPH on Kronik's website whereas Kronik perhaps understates the stock Vader at 49.5 MPH... Hey, it could happen!...(right?)

Do you believe in magic?.....

Old 06-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #8

Boom! somehow has those Baodiao bikes EPA/DOT and California CARB certified on the same certification as the Vader. I think Venom had them listed as "75 MPH" and kept insisting they actually do hit that speed. Venom has a VERY good reputation, but that claim combined with insisting that they will hit 75 MPH did bring it down a notch in my mind. I mean, why double down on something that far-fetched? Belmonte is the same company as Venom, BTW.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 06-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #9

Oh , one last thing.
While i was preoccupied with expounding on why that full size 125 Boom won't go 75mph out of the box, I completely overlooked saying that despite that fact, it is a good looking bike and i bet it would be plenty fun to zip around urban areas on , on the cheap. It also has an analog tach which i hugely prefer over my hard to see or read digital readout one.
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 06-20-2019, 08:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCrowRides View Post
Oh , one last thing.
While i was preoccupied with expounding on why that full size 125 Boom won't go 75mph out of the box, I completely overlooked saying that despite that fact, it is a good looking bike and i bet it would be plenty fun to zip around urban areas on , on the cheap. It also has an analog tach which i hugely prefer over my hard to see or read digital readout one.

Yeah I really like the red one that says BOOM on the side--and the matte black one with the race checkered flag on it is alright plus I think there is a third one that Im not sure is a BOOM or maybe its a Roketa.

I wasnt expecting anyone to say these bikes do hit 75MPH when I started this thread but still wondering if Maybe it tops out a +2 to +5mph over Vader but even if they are the same speed its fun, cheap even when Brand New and shoot they're just fun to ride! I can hardly wait to get another brand new one this year or next 4 sure--probably another Boom, maybe a Retro or maybe a different China bike brand--whatever I get I'm pretty hooked on China Bikes, because you can get some rightly decent rides at a good price, maybe it's often a better price for what you get than many of the Japanese and other bikes--I'm turning into a regular China Rider!!!

Name:  boomsportbike.jpg
Views: 2066
Size:  36.6 KB

Old 06-20-2019, 08:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Boom! somehow has those Baodiao bikes EPA/DOT and California CARB certified on the same certification as the Vader. I think Venom had them listed as "75 MPH" and kept insisting they actually do hit that speed. Venom has a VERY good reputation, but that claim combined with insisting that they will hit 75 MPH did bring it down a notch in my mind. I mean, why double down on something that far-fetched? Belmonte is the same company as Venom, BTW.

It's funny you brought up emissions because, although Boom is known to have some annoying emissions apparatus that most people remove, Boom International also has had a few issues with emissions including this case which they settled with the US EPA by paying a $30,000 fine.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...gsusainc17.pdf

In the case I think basically Boom is using their typical 125cc engines that they are supposed to have an EPA pre approved exhaust/catalyst/emissions stuff on but the EPA went and sampled a bunch of bikes that Boom was recieving from their parent company in CHina and the EPA found that Boom was not using the EPA approved exhaust or emissions whatever and instead they were using a different material and/or different design.

So the US branch of Boom resolved it by paying the fine but also filing in that paper that the bikes were shipped back to China but that the USA branch of BOOM has no paperwork proving the bikes were shipped back to CHina because they say they never actually took delivery of the bikes that failed the EPA sample tests.

I might be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if the USA branch of Boom doesn't have paperwork proving the failed bikes were shipped back to China because those bikes were probably sold as is in the USA or Canada or Mexico which is against the agreement in this settlement since the bikes failed EPA standards.

Just a fun little fact I read a couple nights ago before you mentioned Boom emissions and the EPA

Old 06-20-2019, 08:56 PM   #12

I used to be able to do 75 in my chevy vega. but that was downhill with a tail wind.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:38 AM   #13

I built a V8 Vega back in the day, when you nailed the gas you never really knew where it was going to go - forward ,loop a circle and back the way you came from , or up in someones yard ,and forget about driving it at all if there was any rain on the street ,no matter what you did to ease the clutch out it would just break loose and sit there and spin ,especially if on any uphill grade at all .
All that said it was crazy fun to drive when conditions were right and I would do it all again if i could haha.
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 06-21-2019, 03:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaxwell View Post
It's funny you brought up emissions because, although Boom is known to have some annoying emissions apparatus that most people remove, Boom International also has had a few issues with emissions including this case which they settled with the US EPA by paying a $30,000 fine.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...gsusainc17.pdf

Just a fun little fact I read a couple nights ago before you mentioned Boom emissions and the EPA
My friend is the US distributor for TGB scooters, but used to deal in Chinese bikes prior to TGB, and still will carry Chinese products on the side. He used to carry Baodiao scooters prior to their Vader days but dropped them. He felt they were shady. When they started selling the Vader, I told him to carry them seeing how popular they were getting here on Chinariders, but my friend did not want to deal with them. My friend should know by now (and then) that most mfr. are/were shady. He dealt with Roketa before Roketa's owner went to prison for falsifying VIN #s!

The EPA issues do happen, and not just to 'shady' companies (but that depends on how much hand they have in the issue). My friend, for example, took on distributing TGBs in 2015. At the time, he was also distributing Sach's Madass 50. One random check of a container from Sachs found that they had changed the carb from factory spec ( and EPA/DOT spec) which resulted in the entire contaner getting shipped back and my friend severing ties for good with them. All to save $4.00/carb. The bad thing for my friend was that he was red-flagged by Customs. In early 2016, Customs pulled a container of TGB scooters shipped from Taiwan. Only TGB had changed the carb slightly, which was ultimately found to be for the better, but that was all it took. My friend did not have TGBs for a year, and he had to change his business model. Again, EPA retesting showed that there were less emissions (why TGB in Taiwan didn't think anything of it...TGB knows what it is doing from an engineering standpoint), and ultimately cleared the bikes back into the US, but it showed me that behind the scenes, there is much shenanigins goig on!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 06-23-2019, 04:15 PM   #15

@sirmaxwell

After riding the with the 190 some more it really is perfect if you want to cruise at 45. You don't have to get on it at all and it gets up there quickly at half throttle. Even at full throttle it isn't too crazy.

You want to reconsider another clone with the 190. It is the best thing you can add to one of them.