Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2015, 08:01 AM   #1

new rider

i have about a 100 miles on my rx3 all dirt love it it seems to slow down when i get off throttle no matter what gear it's in i kind of like it saves on brakes rolls easy when pushed just seems like trans. slowing it down even in higher gears is this normal just wondering no complaints at all ZONGS RULE

Old 11-23-2015, 09:34 AM   #2

So yes this completely normal and called engine braking. All motorcycles do this. It is a valuable skill that can be used to slowdown on long hills with out riding the brakes; down shift a gear and closing the throttle will keep your speed in check. Also and excellent tool to set corner entry speed while riding at a moderate pace.

The RX3 is an excellent first bike, as are any of the small bore dual sports. But the RX3 is even better since parts are extremely low cost and will encourage a new rider to get her/his hands dirty learning some of the basics of motorcycle maintenance.

Last edited by 3banger; 11-23-2015 at 12:06 PM.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:08 AM   #3

X2.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-23-2015, 11:18 AM   #4

not talking about downshifting even in a high gear and let off throttle seems to slow it down guess this is normal no big deal love my zong

Old 11-23-2015, 12:15 PM   #5

Yep still normal. Even in higher gears on this bike the engine is running at high RPM. Closing the throttle will have noticeable engine braking even without down shifting. It's pretty much a consequence of getting max power out of a little 250; we have to rev these little engines to get the most out of them.

I'm not too worried out extend time running this little 250 near redline. They have proven them selfs very reliable. It's all part of the fun in riding a "slow" bike fast.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #6

Just for peace of mind after you've ridden it awhile ,stop and carefully feel the brake rotors. If they burn your hand ouchykabootles, then I'd look at the brake pads to see if they are sticking cause of rust or dirt in them. Shouldn't be sticking at all especially not with just 100 miles on it. Also if you have a center stand or other way to get 1 wheel at a time lifted off the ground,give the wheels a spin and see if you feel "excessive drag on them.
Then for kicks and giggles while the rear tire is off the ground , start it and put it in gear and let the tire rotate, pull the clutch in and see if it wheel coasts to a stop or stops abruptly. this will show you your transmission is okeydokey. Mine with 6200 miles on it does slow down and stop but not overly fast. There is friction in them there gears and drive train which is why it can go all day long on the interstate.
Give your bike 500-700 miles to get broke in as the motor is manufactured to tighter water cooled tolerances so transmission and engine need time to get broke in. Change your oil maybe after 500 miles and the filters and screens. I noticed a difference in how mine ran and shifted easier after putting some miles on mine.
You didn't mention previous motorcycle experience so if you rode 2 strokes then the 4 stroke motor will seem like it does have a boat anchor slowing it down when you lay off the throttle, normal and 4 stroke engine braking is your friend. Enjoy your new bike WillyD, rj

Old 11-24-2015, 09:16 AM   #7

thank you 2 strokes only all is good in zong land

it's all goood
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
Just for peace of mind after you've ridden it awhile ,stop and carefully feel the brake rotors. If they burn your hand ouchykabootles, then I'd look at the brake pads to see if they are sticking cause of rust or dirt in them. Shouldn't be sticking at all especially not with just 100 miles on it. Also if you have a center stand or other way to get 1 wheel at a time lifted off the ground,give the wheels a spin and see if you feel "excessive drag on them.
Then for kicks and giggles while the rear tire is off the ground , start it and put it in gear and let the tire rotate, pull the clutch in and see if it wheel coasts to a stop or stops abruptly. this will show you your transmission is okeydokey. Mine with 6200 miles on it does slow down and stop but not overly fast. There is friction in them there gears and drive train which is why it can go all day long on the interstate.
Give your bike 500-700 miles to get broke in as the motor is manufactured to tighter water cooled tolerances so transmission and engine need time to get broke in. Change your oil maybe after 500 miles and the filters and screens. I noticed a difference in how mine ran and shifted easier after putting some miles on mine.
You didn't mention previous motorcycle experience so if you rode 2 strokes then the 4 stroke motor will seem like it does have a boat anchor slowing it down when you lay off the throttle, normal and 4 stroke engine braking is your friend. Enjoy your new bike WillyD, rj