Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2015, 04:44 AM   #1

Pros and Cons of Headlight Modulators

Here is a link to an interesting thread which discusses the pros and cons of headlight modulators. What do you guys think?

http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...acting.342381/

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-19-2015, 05:38 AM   #2

Light modulators

Hi Spud!

Never heard about it until your post, nor seen at the streets/roads.

After peeping at YouTube I've found them interesting for the brake tailights; but for the headlight doesn't satisfied me : I think it could represent a factor of distraction for the opposite driver, more than a caution signal.

Maybe also is matter of local (cultural?) situation: there are lots of vehicles (cars, bus, trucks) circulating with headlights improperly set (burned lamp, LED lamps on traditional reflectors suited only for tungsten ones, elevated beams, loose and vibrating lamp housing), and many drivers put on them their highbeams as some kind of punishment; bikes with modulating headlights could fall on the same "punishable" category.

Technically, because the pulsating/oscillating current, seems to fit perfectly with LED lamps but not the same with halogen/tungsten lamps.

Regards.
- ex Honda Storm 125 (2009)
- ex Corven Triax 250 Touring (2016) (Zongshen RX3 carb)
Benelli TRK 502 (2018)

Old 09-19-2015, 05:54 AM   #3

ElectricCircus, I don't think headlight modulators work with LED lights, as far as I know only the H4 series.

I've read the pro's and con's for years, from my seat of the pants, I hate to ride without it, in the USA or the Philippines. That "distract" the on coming traffic, I don't buy it, make the one coming traffic "SEE ME", I know from thousands of miles of riding, it works for me.
www.medicalmissionmatters.org

Old 09-19-2015, 05:54 AM   #4

Oh, and I run Hyperlites flashing tail brake lights to.
www.medicalmissionmatters.org

Last edited by Riceburner; 09-19-2015 at 07:17 AM.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceburner View Post
I've read the pro's and con's for years, from my seat of the pants, I hate to ride without it, in the USA or the Philippines. That "distract" the on coming traffic, I don't buy it, make the one coming traffic "SEE ME", I know from thousands of miles of riding, it works for me.
Interesting your point of view after riding a lot, Riceburner: I'll consider this functionality, and check the local transit regulations to see if there's nothing wrong with it.
- ex Honda Storm 125 (2009)
- ex Corven Triax 250 Touring (2016) (Zongshen RX3 carb)
Benelli TRK 502 (2018)

Old 09-19-2015, 12:22 PM   #6

This line made me chuckle:

Quote:
I'm more of a flash a bunch of times when you think they don't see you kind of person rather than follow them for several miles while erasing their childhood memories.
I'm not opposed to flashing headlights (and they sure get my attention in traffic), but I'm concerned that cagers might not see turn signals as a result of the flashing headlight.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-19-2015, 02:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post

I'm not opposed to flashing headlights (and they sure get my attention in traffic), but I'm concerned that cagers might not see turn signals as a result of the flashing headlight.
Excellent point Weld, never thought of that, rj

Old 09-19-2015, 03:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post

That very example is mentioned in the thread at ADVRider.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-19-2015, 11:34 PM   #9

I saw a headlight modulator on an oncoming motorcycle once and as a driver I found it very distracting and counterproductive.

The strobe effect attracted my eye, that's for sure ... but made it much harder to judge the bike's distance, speed and intentions. I could not tell if he had a blinker on or not. And I found myself fixated on the strobe and ignoring other traffic, which exposed me to other potential traffic hazards.

On the other hand, I'm completely sold on brake light modulators that flash and go solid. Or alternate between flashing and solid. As a cager, they make me much more aware of the bike silhouetted against its background, without being too distracting. As riders, my wife and I have both noticed that cars behind us give us more room and stopping distance.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 09-20-2015, 09:52 AM   #10

I have been riding with a modulator on my NC for about a year. It is truly amazing. MASSIVE decrease in the number of people pulling out in front of me.

I can see people a block away start to pull out and stop suddenly when they see me. I get more pull-outs in my truck than on the bike now.

To address a couple of concerns in this thread: there is no requirement to blinding cars ahead. Since the modulator is required to only work on high-beam one can simply go to low beam, as might be polite even with a normal headlight.

Concerning oncomers not seeing turn signals: the Hurt report has no mention of "didn't see motorcycle's turn signal", but an epic crap-ton of "didn't see motorcycle". To wit:
Quote:
"Conspicuity of the motorcycle is a critical factor in the multiple vehicle accidents, and accident involvement is significantly reduced by the use of motorcycle headlamps-on In daylight and the wearing of high visibility yellow, orange or bright red jackets."

Past: 2012 Honda NC700x, 2014 Taotao ATM-50-A1, 2014 Taotao Evo, 19?? Honda Spree 50, 1982 Katana 550