Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2015, 05:48 AM   #1

More Luggage Options

There is already a great thread on the JC Whitney Garage Pro topcase, which at about $40 including shipping is the value leader for a removable topcase that can accommodate a full face helmet. Its also easy to mount the included base plate on the stock RX3 rear rack.

But I noticed this blurb on the new Hepco and Becker Orbit 52 liter topcase, and have decided to try it out.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2015/09/2...-product-line/

Although much more expensive (total cost should be about $270 for the case and mounting plate including shipping), I am interested because of the larger volume and I expect higher quality compared to Garage Pro. With cold weather coming, it would be nice to have a case large enough to fit my winter riding gear.

For some odd reason, US distributor Moto Machines charges more shipping if you order the case and the mounting plate at the same time, versus ordering the two bits separately. So I have just ordered the mounting plate first to see how well it fits on the RX3 stock rack. If for some reason it doesn't work, should be easy to ship back for a refund.

I'll post results once I get the plate.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:24 AM   #2

Thanks for informing us of this nice removable trunk.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-23-2015, 06:14 PM   #3

Hepco Becker Universal Rear Rack for Orbit Top Case

I should figure out how to post photos -- but that would involve learning more technology. Too much for me.

The Hepco Becker universal base plate came today. Its modestly slender, cast aluminum painted black, with a plastic center insert for appearance. It fits over the stock RX3 rack with no interference, although some of the stock rack will be visible extending from under the base plate (unlike the Garage Pro base plate).

Looks to be no harder than mounting the Garage Pro base plate.

I expect that once I get the Orbit top box, it may look a bit out of proportion to the bike. And even though its supposed to hold 52 liters, I would not pack 52 liters of bricks. Its still going to use the stock back rack which is only secured by three bolts. But again, I think the additional space will be helpful for storing riding gear etc.

Last edited by NoVa Rider; 09-24-2015 at 05:59 PM.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:07 AM   #4

Here is a photograph of the mounting plate, and the trunk.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-24-2015, 05:29 PM   #5

Final Comments from Orbit

Thanks Spud for posting the photos. Just in case anyone is interested, here are my final comments on the Hepco Becker Orbit case.

Super easy to install the base plate. I ended up just using the larger holes in the stock RX3 rack with some extra spacers between the rack and the base plate. I may eventually drill a few holes in the rack to spread out the bolt pattern a bit.

Box is similar to the old Givi E45; a few inches larger in each direction and it does look a bit "too big" for the RX3 but not completely out of proportion.

Its light plastic and definately a commuter top box rather than a touring top box. Finish is all black, simple with some fake carbon fiber effects, but I expect the plastic will scratch up easily. No extra plastic pieces that give some of the Givi boxes a more upscale look.

Lock and key mechanism seem weak, not better than Garage Pro, but the latch and release mechanisms are stronger and fairly slick. The handgrip is not ergonomic, compared to Givi, and I would not want to carry this box around much.

Right now the Orbit box is the only box that will fit the base plate. Maybe HB will bring out a smaller version or other types if the sales are there.

Its a pretty competitive price for a 52 liter box, and I think it will work for me. But Hepco Becker is trying for the economy end of the market with this box. Note that many other cases can be bought with free shipping -- not this one.