Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2017, 07:13 PM   #646

Junaro is spot on. The chain has not stretched uniformly. I bet you have lots of sprocket wear too. The OEM chains were reported to be toast by 5K miles. I replaced mine right after I got the bike just to start off with the best possible chain and then count on maintaining it to get at least 20K out of the system. That reminds me, you need to think of the chain and sprockets as a system. They all wear together. If you replace the chain on even slightly worn sprockets it's a fool's savings. With use the chain starts to wear at each pin and create slightly greater pin to pin distance. The sprocket, which used to carry the load around about 50% of its diameter is now carrying the same load on a much smaller % of the diameter because the new chain has shorter pin to pin distance than what the worn sprocket has. Now everything will wear very rapidly.

As for the master link, just make sure it is in the grooves and fully seated..also facing in the correct direction. I had one master link fail at an awkward time so I can verify that it happens, just not that common a failure.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:55 PM   #647

Well, I "TRIED" to put my aluminum skid plate on, but I knew something was wrong pretty quick. Mine looks nothing like the plate in the video and instructions. After a little poking around I think I received one for the TT250.

I have emailed CSC, I'm sure they'll take care of it.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:11 PM   #648

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeff35 View Post
After a little poking around I think I received one for the TT250.
Yes, you're correct in your speculation. That is definitely the TT250's skidplate.

I'm sure that CSC will make it right ASAP, so no worries there. Their customer service is top notch, IMO. They're probably the best thing about these bikes and definitely the main reason that I took a chance on the RX3 and TT250.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:48 PM   #649

I also had CSC send me some incorrect parts, and some incomplete parts also.
They’ll correct their errors, but the drawn out procedure is kind of frustrating.
I just wanted to get it installed and operating.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:52 PM   #650

I did manage to get my center stand on yesterday, as well as some of the "billet" farkles on, the headlamp grill, the brake covers, and something else that escapes me at the moment.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:55 PM   #651

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Junaro is spot on. The chain has not stretched uniformly. I bet you have lots of sprocket wear too. The OEM chains were reported to be toast by 5K miles. I replaced mine right after I got the bike just to start off with the best possible chain and then count on maintaining it to get at least 20K out of the system. That reminds me, you need to think of the chain and sprockets as a system. They all wear together. If you replace the chain on even slightly worn sprockets it's a fool's savings. With use the chain starts to wear at each pin and create slightly greater pin to pin distance. The sprocket, which used to carry the load around about 50% of its diameter is now carrying the same load on a much smaller % of the diameter because the new chain has shorter pin to pin distance than what the worn sprocket has. Now everything will wear very rapidly.

As for the master link, just make sure it is in the grooves and fully seated..also facing in the correct direction. I had one master link fail at an awkward time so I can verify that it happens, just not that common a failure.
Thanks for the helpful reply. Good info, and I plan to replace both chain and sprockets together when the current chain is gone. I got a cheapie, so 5k miles would be fine with me.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:20 PM   #652

just a little hot oil

As an experiment, a good way to see how much of a mess a couple ounces of hot oil can make......just install the exhaust valve cover upside down and ride about 60 miles. No harm done but now the cover is labeled with an arrow and UP!

Old 11-03-2017, 07:22 PM   #653

Yes, mine are labeled with arrows and a F and R

Old 11-04-2017, 01:36 PM   #654

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
As an experiment, a good way to see how much of a mess a couple ounces of hot oil can make......just install the exhaust valve cover upside down and ride about 60 miles. No harm done but now the cover is labeled with an arrow and UP!
So you got the anti rust treatment. I had a leaking diesel suburban from a fuel line and it certainly coated the undercarriage nicely.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 11-04-2017, 02:20 PM   #655

I think I broke mine.

I was switching out the grips to the heated ones I bought with the bike. The left side came off no problem. Didn't even need to cut it. So I tried the same on the throttle side, not so much... I twisted it clockwise a little too hard and felt and heard something snap. Now it will do a 360 rotation. It seems to still retract back to the idle position, but I'm not exactly sure what I screwed up.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:22 PM   #656

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeff35 View Post
I think I broke mine.

I was switching out the grips to the heated ones I bought with the bike. The left side came off no problem. Didn't even need to cut it. So I tried the same on the throttle side, not so much... I twisted it clockwise a little too hard and felt and heard something snap. Now it will do a 360 rotation. It seems to still retract back to the idle position, but I'm not exactly sure what I screwed up.
Probably the housing at the end of the cable, at the throttle that connects to the cable. Should be some screws around the twist grip to open it up and inspect the linkage....shit happens then we fix it and go on to the next ahh shit.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 11-04-2017, 07:42 PM   #657

Doh!

got a little distracted yesterday. oil drain plug should always be installed before refilling with oil! Arrrgh

Old 11-04-2017, 09:08 PM   #658

I use WD-40 to remove grips and the GF's hair spray to put them back on.

Old 11-04-2017, 10:07 PM   #659

10500 miles: oil change and checked the valves but didn't have to adjust them

2016 CSC RX3 Sahara Orange

Old 11-05-2017, 07:29 PM   #660

That's about the time mine settled in also.