Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2021, 10:44 AM   #1

Got a new bike

Name:  rzf1.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  156.2 KB

Picked up an Apollo RFZ 20 Max on Saturday. My first "real" dirt bike. lol.

I actually looked at one of these earlier this year, but didn't pull the trigger, as I just wanted a bike for my kid. Well, Saturday, I had to take the kiddo's bike in for repairs (it was under warranty, and I didn't feel like working on it.) I decided to take a look at the dirt bikes, and I came across the 20 max again. Just decided to go ahead and get it, since I had the means to do so. Problem is, this now stops my plans to get a RX4. Not like a really need either bike, but I have plans to go to a dirt park with the kiddo, and a friend of mine wants to go trail riding.

It's a pretty fun bike, so far. Did some laps with the kiddos around the neighborhood. I can tell immediately, it needs a new carb. It bogs at full throttle by second gear, and it one of those stupid riveted carbs. Thankfully, I already have a couple (thanks to a couple side projects that haven't come into fruition yet.).

Also, me being 250 lbs, I really weight down the suspension, but it seems a little too soft, anyway. I added a little more air to the shock to get the rebound to speed up a little more, and ran the preload up as much as i could, before the crankcase vent got in the way of the shock spanner. I think the fork is adjustable, but I can't find anything that says it is. The screws in the fork look like rebound adjusters. I'll try them out, soon.

I'm also getting used to the 4 up shifter. I keep trying to go one down to get into gear. lol. It's a fun bike, and can't wait to get it out into some dirt. It'll also make a decent pit bike for the track, I hope.

Old 11-15-2021, 09:21 AM   #2

So, I've been riding this thing barely for a few months. It's been spending most of it's life as a pit bike. I installed a Nibbi PE26 carb, as the original had a riveted bowl, and a pinned cap for the throttle. Didn't feel like wasting time trying to make it useful. Took a few tries to tune it correctly with the pre installed jets. idle was fine, but I had to play with the AF knob a lot. I also didn't catch that my adapter had air leaking by, until the carb fell off one day, racing the local neighborhood kids. lol

Anyway, I got to finally take it in some dirt yesterday with the kiddos. Decided to do some "high speed" runs in sand, as I still don't have a filter on the carb yet, and didn't want to risk water getting in the engine. I think I need to take some air out the shock, and check if those screws on the fork actually did some adjusting. I was playing with everything on low speed level ground, forgetting that this is a dirt bike, and most of the time, things will be uneven. I actually have the suspension too hard for high speed bumps and ruts.

I also spend some time trying to get the rear wheel to slide around, making a big show for the kiddos. I did some successful slides. But, on my last one, just trying to u-turn, I came off the clutch too fast, and the bike slid out from under me. Nothing major. I didn't even hit the ground, but the bike did. Alas, low speed falls in the dirt are too much for the clutch lever, and it snapped at the pivot point where the lever bolts in. I was able to get some leverage to still be able to shift, so I let the kiddos ride around a little bit more until they were ready to go home, and babied the bike back. Now I have to buy a new lever. lol. I'm trying really hard to not throw a lot of upgrades at this bike. It's just supposed to be for fun and transport around the paddocks. Now I'm looking into having a wheelset for a super moto conversion, and a better rear shock (DNM has one I want, but I can't find it in the correct length with the spring rate I want.)

Old 04-04-2022, 10:14 AM   #3

Well, Haven't updated this in a while. Honestly, nothing to say, really. I didn't use the bike for a few months. Cleaned the carb, adjusted the idle screw, bike started right up, and ran with the crappy gas in it. Still goes pretty decently. Not doing any more mods to it, other than installing the folding brake lever (already installed the clutch lever. Glad I did, because I went down two more times since the last time, and the lever saved the day. lol. It's dirty from sitting outside in the weather and pollen, but it works, and that's all I care about. I kinda want to compare it to the sumo, after it's done. lol.

Old 08-24-2022, 04:13 PM   #4

I've bought a similar bike

New to pit/dirt biking and I'm enjoying your updates. Since this is my 1st bike have no point of reference for the carb... and as I read more forums I'm learning I'm making a few mistakes... like using 87 octane gas, not closing my fuel line when I store it, and using 10w-30 (car) motor oil.

I plan to buy 4 stroke motor oil, change the spark plug, and starting shutting my fuel line off when I store it for a week.

I'm interested in a new carb but I've never tuned a carburetor nor changed one out.

Any advise for a new rider?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Apollo 140_Resize_3.jpg (22.6 KB, 103 views)