Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2016, 07:59 PM   #1

Thumbs Up New + need some help choosing a bike (Bashan/Hawk)

Hi guys,
Im Evelyn, Originally from Israel but currently living in Utah - planning a trip threw the states towards NY on a motorcycle. i haven't got a lot of riding experience except some driving lessons i did for the motorcycle licence (a1, 500 cc) before i came, 4 months ago. im planning to start the trip towards march, and am looking for a 250-300 cc bike. i know its not alot for a long trip but i just decided ill go with it as far as i feel like
threw my search for an enduro bike i fell into an add about the bashan storm 250 cc and haosen hawk 300 cc. first i didn't pay attention to those adds cuz everybody told me not to deal with cheep chines bikes but i wanted to check what other people say about them cuz to me they look perfect (after i change the tires to more of a street riding pair).

so some questions (sorry im really new in this and also in the states everything's different) :

- are the bashan storm 250 / haosen hawk 300 highway legal at all? (im not planing to ride a lot on highways but its important to know)
- do you think for my hight (162 centimeter/64 inch) these bikes will fit?
- anybody who knows... do these bikes have some storage place in them?
- is there a possibility to attach a storage box in the back of the bike or maybe just a way to attach a nap sack?
- is 1800$ a reasonable price for these bikes? and do you think it is wise to buy it from a private dealer i found on ksl? and if not, where is it best to buy from?
- do i have to have an american licence to buy a bike here? and do i have to buy a licence plate (make it street legal) by my self or does the dealer do it?

that's all for now

Evelyn

Old 01-19-2016, 02:17 AM   #2

Welcome; we are glad you joined us.

Personally, I would not ride either of these motorcycles on America's interstate highways for any great distance. These bikes don't have enough power to keep up with the traffic flow on limited access highways.

I don't believe you need a U.S. driver's license to purchase a motorcycle. However, you will need a license plate. If you purchase a motorcycle from a dealership, they will complete the paperwork needed for you to obtain a license plate. If you purchase a motorcycle from an online vendor, you will need to bring the necessary documents to the local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in order to obtain a license plate.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-19-2016, 10:19 AM   #3

Welcome!

I'm only guessing, but I presume that the seat height of the Hawk might be a little high for you. Perhaps others who own that bike will chime in.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-19-2016, 11:15 AM   #4

Good morning and welcome to the forum! So glad you found us.

It may vary state by state but in Washington you need a license to register a vehicle for a plate. I don't know if it has to be an in state license, but I suspect so.

I lived in Israel for a period of time when I was in my medical training. I lived with my family in Ramat Gan and worked/studied in Tel Aviv at Ichlov Hospital. I miss Israel very much. You are privileged to live there.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:12 PM   #5

Smile Thank you for your replays :)

Thanks for the information,
To FastDoc; witch bike would you recommend for my size of rider? I am interested in an enduro type of bike cuz my trip will also include some off-road parts.. And also that's just the type of design I like the most...
Have to point another issue - I was trying to save some money these few months and just didn't quit save enough to buy a Yamaha or Honda as I wanted before... So when I saw those bashan bikes they were just in my budget and looked great to me. I'll tell u what, I'm not expecting this bike to stay with me for years, even not months... I'll ride it till I get tired... Not hurrying anywhere but as I said it's important that it will be highway legal. Also if there is something important I need to know about taking care of this bike id like to know before I buy one (if at all this will turn out to be a good choice)
I'd be happy for some more ideas/thoughts of u guys about this
Thanks

Old 01-19-2016, 03:50 PM   #6

i would look at the csc rx3. sweet talk the guys there and i'm sure they will help out. or a good used jap bike in the 250-400 range. if u plan interstate riding you need a bike that can run 70- 75 all day long or its too damned dangerous with all the speeding going on out there. if you stay on the secondary roads and take your time, you need about 60-65 mph. both are tall orders for a dp 250 to sustain. properly setup rx3 probably the cheapest best bet but damn, they are bit heavy. the hawk will b abit too tall for u i'm betting. the bashan geared up might do it for you, but it will really be stretching for anything requiring more than a few brief trips down the interstate. Not saying it can't be done, but safely and comfortably, well, i defer to the guys here that have them. the csc guys also have a similar bike coming in the tt250, they claim can top out at 70 plus. maybe they can cut you a deal on one of their yongshen demo bikes. :} it is very like the bashan.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 01-21-2016, 10:42 AM   #7

An RX3 is a good idea, especially since they have a lowering link available. It would be able to maintain highway speeds, and would likely be the most reliable choice in the China bike world.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-21-2016, 10:51 AM   #8

rx3

i saw where csc is indeed selling their rx3 demos for a discounted price. u might call and try to negotiate a deal. u can bet they will b all sorted out and running at peak. used bikes are also usually taxed less, have already been plated etc. might b a good deal for ev.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 01-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #9

I have not ridden one yet, but I think I would favor the RX3 by a wide margin. A local independant bike shop could set it up for you and install the lowering link if needed.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:54 PM   #10

Needless to say, I would also recommend the CSC Cyclone RX3. I have ridden mine for over 13,000 miles, and I enjoy the bike very much. Here is a link to a post at the CSC Blog which describes the demo bikes CSC is selling.

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=19639

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-21-2016, 02:25 PM   #11

The article written by Joe Gresh regarding the 5000-mile, Western America Adventure Ride, is now posted online.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/50...hen-motorcycle

The 3 demo bikes being sold by CSC where ridden on this trip.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-21-2016, 05:59 PM   #12

Spud that last picture reminded me that there is life out there other than grey rainy skies we have been having lately. What a beautiful road. I'll have to show the pic to Sophia the Ducati when I get home.

Thanks for sharing. CSC is a class operation with an effective business model and a good product. They seemed to have learned from the mistakes so many other distributers have made.

Maybe they can use an Idaho franchise?

Old 01-21-2016, 09:14 PM   #13

that is a hell of an article!!! guys u Have to read it. the description of Joe cussing the chinese guys out for all the shopping and TAKING THE PHOTOS HAD ME LAUGHING OUT LOUD.the fisticuffs later was hilarious. this fellow can write

Old 01-22-2016, 12:08 AM   #14

I would suggest to look over this thread. No, not to consider a China made CT70 replica with a 125cc engine or an old Chinese 150cc, but rather to see that your across the US trip is possible on backroads, and on a Chinese 229cc enduro as these guys proved on their much smaller bikes.

http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...w-york.988742/

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-26-2016, 01:28 AM   #15

Thumbs Up

Hi guyssssss!
So in the end I bought one! A green Bashan storm 229 cc...
Now before I take it home I just need to make an insurance. Can someone here recommend a insurance company in Utah for someone who doesn't have an American license? I have a international license. And I will want to ride this bike out of Utah.. So the insurance has to be for all states.. Don't know nothing about this... Please help
Ohh and another question- what does it mean when it says "demo" before the bikes name...?
I bought it for 2100 $ after tax.. Was more expensive than I thought but I think it's the right bike for me so I got it. Just need to insure it and bring it to my house