Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2023, 04:46 PM   #1

Hawk250 Clutch issue

My hawk has been parked for a while, took it out so my daughter could take it as she is learning. I noticed the clutch seemed to have a slight “stickiness”. It would act like the cable was sticking about mid way and the clutch lever would not return as well as it should. With about 1/4” of loose play. Lubed the cable and it seems better, checked for binding , checked the arm on the clutch housing and that seemed free. Could it be that the arm internally is slightly binding or perhaps the clutch plates ? The clutch seems to operate ok but just not smoothly it grabs really quickly, no slippage. Any suggestions ?

Old 10-07-2023, 05:03 PM   #2

go to YouTube and search for "Hawk 250 clutch adjustment" and also you can find other good videos about clutch adjustment. That is the best I can offer until one of the gurus chime in, that could lay a foundation in your brain.

Old 10-07-2023, 08:20 PM   #3

I have had success with taking the bike up to a stationary object like a building or a power pole. With the bike running, clutch lever in, put it in a higher gear like 3rd or 4th, get the rpms up and dump the clutch. Yes it will stall, but you should find that the clutch plates have released. Take a short test ride to confirm.

It has worked for me and others many times.

2022 Hawk 250 - Mikuni clone carb, jetted appropriately. Pro Tork CRF 150 pipe. Nibbi pod filter. Tusk Chub bars with riser adapters. Amazon levers and foot pegs. Typical gearing change for street... Acerbis hand guards. Nibbi grips. Shortened rear fender. No graphics

2022 Templar X - Stock carb rejetted appropriately, Nibbi grips, Amazon hand guards. Amazon seat cover. Acerbis skid plate, heavily modded. Shortened rear "fender". Custom graphic kit.

Last edited by Zooker89; 10-07-2023 at 08:20 PM. Reason: mis-spelled word

Old 10-07-2023, 11:10 PM   #4

If the bike sat for a while one or more of the fiber discs may be stuck to a steel plate. As Zooker suggests, sometimes you can "shock" them loose. I usually try this after riding the bike for a while to get the oil nice and hot and hopefully get it working into the clutch discs.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124