Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2014, 08:40 AM   #16

Yup! My vision is something in army green with ammo cans for saddle bags. I'd like to commute on the regular and occasionally head out to the trails and under-developed roads.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #17

Ok, then you'd need to shoot for a stator that will support a battery and lights. You could use an old Honda XR200 motor, but you'd need an XL185 / XL200 stator.

I think it would be more fun to push a China motor to the limits, but I'm odd like that.

I like the metal ammo can idea, but they're heavy. Instead, I bought plastic ammo cans for cheap from Cabelas (and two Cabelas locations aren't far from you).

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #18

I never thought of using plastic. I guess anything water tight would work. As for the engine, I'd really prefer to keep it the Lifan family. The CCW bikes are based on the Lifan engine (from what I've read), so any experience i can garner from this would only be more helpful down the road. I'll keep the electrical system in the front of my mind, also, since I would like to have a 12v outlet for a GPS...eventually. First things first, I need to find a 163FML to get this thing a heart. Craigslist, ho!

Old 04-25-2014, 01:12 AM   #19

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROKETA-DB36-...966819&vxp=mtr if you can stand the price , it comes with all the electrics and carb

Old 04-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by recracer View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROKETA-DB36-...966819&vxp=mtr if you can stand the price , it comes with all the electrics and carb
And that's absolutely gorgeous! The price is a bit much at the moment. Gonna have to start saving my nickles I guess

Old 04-25-2014, 11:15 PM   #21

With that motor, you can have a zero mile road bike for under a grand. That's a win my friend.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:27 AM   #22

It is a win, but a used China motor could be a lot more economical. I bought a China dirt bike with a 223cc pushrod motor, and sold the rest of the parts for almost what I paid for the whole bike. The engine is currently in Son of Weldangrind's XR200R.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-01-2014, 09:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
You can certainly buy an OHC engine, but a pushrod engine will also fall into place. In either case, I might even have the front motor mount laying around. You might be able to find a cheap China bike on CL that you can harvest the engine from. Between the two bikes, hopefully you'll have everything you need.

Did you get the title with this bike?
I dont know how I missed this, but if you do have this front mount how much do you want for it?

Old 05-01-2014, 10:04 AM   #24

Let me dig for it first.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguyty View Post
Weldangrind! Well since you asked, this is the list i have so far:

Gauge assembly
headlight assembly/fairing
turn signals front and rear
brake light assembly
passenger peg assembly
engine
front motor mount
exhaust
carb
air filter
rear brake pedal frame bolt
handle bar switches
ignition switch
seat

That's the running list I have as I go through things on the floor. Craigslist is being unfruitful and I'm still a little nervous about ordering from Taobao just yet.

It's dark right now, so I'll have to check the shed another time. In the meantime:

Do you have a pic of your existing gauge assembly?
Do you need both passenger peg assemblies? Please show me a pic of where they mount.
Are you missing the entire exhaust system?
Is the entire air box missing?
Do you mean the bolt that the brake pedal pivots on?
Are you missing the seat?

Don't be shy about Taobao; I've used them several times. Start off by buying something small to test the waters. I can even show you a link for something that has turned out well for me.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:57 AM   #26

+1 for taobao, just got a seat, tank, pipe, pegs and side panels for the Panterra cafe project from them
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 05-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #27

I am going to follow your project like a religion, sir! That is right up my alley. I'll look into Taobao more. I just need some time to figure out the jargon. Going back and forth with the translations is turning up a lot of "no results". But I'll keep on keepin on.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:49 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
It's dark right now, so I'll have to check the shed another time. In the meantime:

Do you have a pic of your existing gauge assembly?
Do you need both passenger peg assemblies? Please show me a pic of where they mount.
Are you missing the entire exhaust system?
Is the entire air box missing?
Do you mean the bolt that the brake pedal pivots on?
Are you missing the seat?

Don't be shy about Taobao; I've used them several times. Start off by buying something small to test the waters. I can even show you a link for something that has turned out well for me.
Let me go grab some pictures of the rear section of frame...ok, I just checked and what I thought was a set of mounting holes doesn't have a left side partner. So scratch the pegs. I'm going to have to rent a welder and do something custom.

Gauges are totally missing. I have the rear section of exhaust pipe but no mounting flange. Plus some pretty cruddy junk fell out of it when I unbolted the thing. Maybe it's best to just replace with new. I have the whole airbox, but because of how awkward it was to remove, I am thinking an open element would be better. Again, that's a cheap part new from even the local speed shop. The bolt missing on the brake is exactly that. It pivots about this bolt that secures directly to the frame. And the seat is uncomfortably absent. Should I consider leaving off the plastic and custom building a seat with a flat base instead of sourcing an original?

Old 05-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #29

It sounds like you need a head pipe, and the old Honda XR200 would be a close enough match to your bike. See if you can find one for cheap on eBay. Once you have that (and an engine), the muffler can be planned out. I have a China muffler that would probably work.

The passenger peg mount is a mystery; please show us pics of both sides.

I'm with you on removing the airbox. It's best to keep it to stop water from getting into the carb, but if the boot that connects the airbox to the carb shrinks, it's done. You can always fab a shield for an open element filter.

Please show us a pic of the brake pedal assmembly, perhaps with a simple bolt holding it together for photographic illustration.

Post in the Wanted section of the Free Classifieds, and see if anyone has a seat. As long as you have the correct plastic base, it can be recovered for cheap.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #30

Sure thing! I'm out and about right now, but when I get home I'll see if I can drag some lights into the garage and snap some pics.

Tags
enduro, engine, hensim, parts, project