Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2017, 07:11 PM   #1

Ssr xf250

Went to pick up my TGB (new rear tire) at the local Honda/Yamaha dealer, and they have fairly recently picked up some of SSR's lineup. Outside, next to a CRF250 (offroad version, not enduro) was the XF250 in all its fat-tired glory. It was listed at $2699 (not MSRP) and had 12 miles, so my guess is it was a 'used' bike. I sat on it because I wanted to see its height from my perspective, and me being 5' 7" I had no issues with its height. I couldn't flat foot it, but I definitely did not feel off-balance.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-29-2017, 07:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
.....and me being 5' 7"
I'm 5'7" short too lol. I tip-toe on the Brozz

Previously owned / operated MOTO Xtreme selling American Lifan / Check out my friends at www.armattanquads.com

"Imagination is more important that knowledge" Albert Einstein

Old 04-29-2017, 07:31 PM   #3

Do you feel off-balance?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 04-29-2017, 07:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Do you feel off-balance?
Only on trails. On road I'm fine.

Previously owned / operated MOTO Xtreme selling American Lifan / Check out my friends at www.armattanquads.com

Old 04-29-2017, 08:09 PM   #5

I meant standing, like at a red light.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 04-29-2017, 09:18 PM   #6

culcune,
I wish you had a chance to ride the SSR 250SF. I have toyed with the idea of purchasing one, but have never seen a review, known anyone who owned one, read opinions of the bike or seen one in the flesh! But I think they look nice in photos!
Maybe you can snag a ride on your next visit.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:22 PM   #7

Quote:
I meant standing, like at a red light.
Oh lol. Yes, I do. I wear boots that have a heal and it helps. I just do the lean lol

Old 05-01-2017, 11:13 PM   #8

Hey guys I think a 10,000 mile XF250 review is in order shortly. I have put about 2,000 miles on the XF in the last 2 months commuting to San Diego and LA occasionally with up to 80 lbs of luggage. I didn't buy this bike intending on riding it this much, but it doesn't seem to mind. I may see what kind of a video I can put together.

Here is a riding video posted by some guy in Turkey I believe:

2LZ is right about the Qlink and SSR being pretty much the same bike. Owning a used Qlink is what gave me the confidence to spend $2,700 on the new SSR. If I didn't experience the quality of the Qlink I would have struggled to justify paying over 2k for a Chinabike like so many do. After owning the Qlink I was searching for something with a little more power and everyone I know tried talking me into a used Japanese bike. Of course I heard the old tired argument, "Oh you can get a used DRZ-400 or whatever else for that kind of money". I had already owned a couple of well used Japanese Dual Sports which I loved, but they needed repairs occasionally and parts were not exactly cheap. My XL600 had constant CDI, stator, decompression lever, and carb problems which left me stranded on a few occasions. On the other hand, the Qlink had been a completely trouble free bike. In 2014 the SSR came with a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty which sealed the deal for me.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:55 AM   #9

Losing the cam timing chain

dh,
Did you have an earlier post about losing your cam chain when you had about 2,000 miles on your SSR XF250? How did that work out? Was it covered by the one year warranty by SSR?

Old 05-02-2017, 12:38 PM   #10

1CYL the short answer is yes, but I will add a story here. By the time that happened the warranty was in the "parts only" phase. The 12 month warranty consists of 6 months parts/labor + 6 months parts only. At that time it was unlimited mileage, I believe SSR has put a mileage cap on their warranty now.

When this problem came up I had go from Vegas back to LA to drop the bike off at the dealer I bought it from. The dealer then took the bike down the street to SSR's headquarters where they looked it over and decided to do a new engine swap. The dealer said the stock motor was repairable but the engine swap was the fastest and cheapest way for SSR to get my bike going again. Maybe they had extra EPA/CARB test engines laying around?

The dealer brought the bike back out to Vegas a few weeks later which saved me another trip to CA, and SSR only asked that I pay $200 for labor for the engine swap. I should add that after some TU250 forum reading on cam chain tensioner adjustment, I now believe this issue may have been caused by a stupid owner tinkering(yes me) and not a defect in the bike. Whatever the case, I am grateful for the way SSR helped me. When it came time to re-register the bike in CA the DMV noticed that one digit in the engine number had changed, and said I needed to take the bike to Highway Patrol to verify the engine wasn't stolen. Luckily they changed their minds and decided it was probably a clerical error in the end!

Last edited by dh; 05-02-2017 at 12:43 PM. Reason: incomplete

Old 05-02-2017, 10:03 PM   #11

WTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh View Post
1CYL the short answer is yes, but I will add a story here. By the time that happened the warranty was in the "parts only" phase. The 12 month warranty consists of 6 months parts/labor + 6 months parts only. At that time it was unlimited mileage, I believe SSR has put a mileage cap on their warranty now.

When this problem came up I had go from Vegas back to LA to drop the bike off at the dealer I bought it from. The dealer then took the bike down the street to SSR's headquarters where they looked it over and decided to do a new engine swap. The dealer said the stock motor was repairable but the engine swap was the fastest and cheapest way for SSR to get my bike going again. Maybe they had extra EPA/CARB test engines laying around?

The dealer brought the bike back out to Vegas a few weeks later which saved me another trip to CA, and SSR only asked that I pay $200 for labor for the engine swap. I should add that after some TU250 forum reading on cam chain tensioner adjustment, I now believe this issue may have been caused by a stupid owner tinkering(yes me) and not a defect in the bike. Whatever the case, I am grateful for the way SSR helped me. When it came time to re-register the bike in CA the DMV noticed that one digit in the engine number had changed, and said I needed to take the bike to Highway Patrol to verify the engine wasn't stolen. Luckily they changed their minds and decided it was probably a clerical error in the end!
How much good luck can a man possess
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 05-02-2017, 08:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Hey guys I think a 10,000 mile XF250 review is in order shortly.
What is the stock gearing on the XF? What aftermarket rear sprocket is available (if even needed). If I remember, it is the front sprocket that you go up a tooth on them?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 05-02-2017, 10:01 PM   #13

2LZ when I see used private party Xf250's on craigslist they seem to run around $1500 down this way.

Culcune the stock front sprocket is 15t I believe. I was able to fine a 17t on Amazon by searching for Tu250 stuff(Oil filters are $8 for a 3 pack as well). Rear sprockets are available from lextek and taobao.

With the 17t the bike is a lot happier at 70mph and gas mileage is better too. If I only needed to cruise at or below 65 I would run the stock size and enjoy the low 1st gear on trail riding.

I am 6'3 190lbs and ride between sea level up to 5,000 feet.
With the 17t at 70mph rpms are at 6,600 and I get about 65 mpg.
With the 15t at 70mph rpms are at 7,000 and I get about 55 mpg.

Regarding financing, my credit union motorcycle rates were around 5% last I looked so I used a credit card with a 0%/16 month deal and was able to pay it off before the 0% rate expired.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:53 AM   #14

Quote:
2LZ when I see used private party Xf250's on craigslist they seem to run around $1500 down this way.

Culcune the stock front sprocket is 15t I believe. I was able to fine a 17t on Amazon by searching for Tu250 stuff(Oil filters are $8 for a 3 pack as well). Rear sprockets are available from lextek and taobao.

With the 17t the bike is a lot happier at 70mph and gas mileage is better too. If I only needed to cruise at or below 65 I would run the stock size and enjoy the low 1st gear on trail riding.

I am 6'3 190lbs and ride between sea level up to 5,000 feet.
With the 17t at 70mph rpms are at 6,600 and I get about 65 mpg.
With the 15t at 70mph rpms are at 7,000 and I get about 55 mpg.

Regarding financing, my credit union motorcycle rates were around 5% last I looked so I used a credit card with a 0%/16 month deal and was able to pay it off before the 0% rate expired.
More Q/SSR similarities.

My stock setup on my XP200 is a 15/48.
I went to a 16/44 and it wouldn't pull me in 5th against the wind worth a dang, even with the jetting and pipe......but it would rip down a hill or with a tail wind.

I went back to the 15 on the front and kept the 44. That seemed the ticket....but then I was wanting a little more low end so I am now at a 15/46 and it's the sweet spot. Still do 70 mph but have a more trailable 1st gear. Pulls better throughout the band also.

The Q takes:
JTF 409 on the front
JTR 809 on the rear.

What about your SSR?

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-04-2017, 01:14 PM   #15

2LZ The aftermarket front sprocket is a JTF434.16. Now I wonder if its actually a 16t.

Last edited by dh; 05-04-2017 at 01:17 PM. Reason: incomplete