Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2017, 02:53 PM   #1

Doh! Hawk 250 help

Hello my fellow riders. I am one payment away from owning my own Hawk 250cc enduro. Today was the first time I had gotten to ride it. I know a little bit about it but not a whole lot. So anyways today was my first test drive and I liked it but it seemed to bog down and wouldn't take me and my 100 pound girlfriend up a hill is that normal. And the engine would not like it wasnt tuned right. And if I didn't keep on the throttle it would cut off even after I adjusted the idle. It only has 278 miles on it so I'm hoping it's nothing major. Can anybody give me some insight on these issues I'm having

Old 07-21-2017, 03:01 PM   #2

So it's a used bike. Most likely, the original owner hasn't done any carb tuning or valve adjustments. I'd start there.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:10 PM   #3

The carbs are jetted super lean from the factory, the usual fix for this is to cut it open and stick a 110 main jet in there or replace with mikuni with 110 main and 30 pilot.

How fast were you going up the hill? They don't have a whole lot of oomph past 50mph or so.

Check out Motocheez's mods list for the hawk. He also has done a ton of youtube videos that show how to mod it:

https://sites.google.com/site/motoch...-250-resources

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfs...sZwINrc4KSbAlQ

Old 07-21-2017, 03:57 PM   #4

Well I was in first because i figured it was the lowest gear and it stuttered up the hill so maybe like 5 mph and it cut out

Old 07-21-2017, 04:12 PM   #5

Adjust valves first before any carb tuning. These are tourquey little machines so it should still pull you and your lady up hills. Assuming you are not a 400 pound giant.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:02 PM   #6

No I'm like 180 and she's 96 pounds lol. And will that fix the engine bog

Old 07-21-2017, 05:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatdankkid View Post
Valve clearances certainly won't hurt. They're listed in the back of the owner's manual.

Also, check your air filter, it may be soaked in oil, due to the breather tube feeding into the airbox with nothing to block oil mist. That would make it run way too rich, causing bogging. You can either try to find a stock filter or a Briggs and Strat filter fits:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 07-21-2017, 05:59 PM   #8

So if valve clearances don't fix it then move on to carb tuning?

Old 07-21-2017, 10:08 PM   #9

I'd start with replacing or cleaning the air filter and fitting a new spark plug.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:05 PM   #10

n
Quote:
So if valve clearances don't fix it then move on to carb tuning?
Yes, that's what I would do. "Carb tuning" includes checking the air filter element to make sure that it is not loaded with oil. But be advised that 90% of these bikes come from the factory with the valves set too tight. They don't need a lot of valve clearance, I like .003 inch intake, and .004 inch exhaust. While these bikes come from the factory too lean for max performance, this would be the first one I've heard of so lean as you describe...ARH

Old 07-24-2017, 11:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
nYes, that's what I would do. "Carb tuning" includes checking the air filter element to make sure that it is not loaded with oil. But be advised that 90% of these bikes come from the factory with the valves set too tight. They don't need a lot of valve clearance, I like .003 inch intake, and .004 inch exhaust. While these bikes come from the factory too lean for max performance, this would be the first one I've heard of so lean as you describe...ARH
Couldn't he also be running way too rich with how he's describing his performance?

If we're taking the Occam's Razor approach I wonder if he knows which way to set the choke? Up is fully choked, down is no choke.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamey View Post
Couldn't he also be running way too rich with how he's describing his performance?

If we're taking the Occam's Razor approach I wonder if he knows which way to set the choke? Up is fully choked, down is no choke.
That's what i'm thinking too.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 07-24-2017, 01:40 PM   #13

Quote:
I weigh about 20lbs less than you and your girlfriend combined (hence, Megadan) and my Hawk will pull my big butt up a steep hill with taller than standard gearing in all but 5th gear.

Be methodical and check everything mentioned here by the others. The point made about the choke position is actually a very good one. Make sure you aren't riding with the choke in the half or full position, because that would be like trying to drive your car with a rag shoved in the intake pipe.