Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2017, 03:38 PM   #1

Hawk speed wobble - new rider question

So, I've got about 500 miles on my Hawk, but it's been basically in town trips to work and back. Nothing more than 45 MPH. Bikes on the pavement is a new thing for me, by the way.
I went out on Monday, rode to the next town and looking for some dirt roads, etc. I noticed some wobble on a couple of stretches. The bike was smooth under 50, but wobbled on one road so bad that I slowed down from 60-ish back down to 50. I headed home and the next road was newer and I rode 60 just fine. I'm still on the factory knobbies.

It felt like gusts from a cross wind was pushing the bike around, but I looked at the trees and didn't see anything.

Is this normal for these bikes at highway speed?
Something I should check?

Maybe toughen up a little?

Old 03-04-2017, 03:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
So, I've got about 500 miles on my Hawk, but it's been basically in town trips to work and back. Nothing more than 45 MPH. Bikes on the pavement is a new thing for me, by the way.
I went out on Monday, rode to the next town and looking for some dirt roads, etc. I noticed some wobble on a couple of stretches. The bike was smooth under 50, but wobbled on one road so bad that I slowed down from 60-ish back down to 50. I headed home and the next road was newer and I rode 60 just fine. I'm still on the factory knobbies.

It felt like gusts from a cross wind was pushing the bike around, but I looked at the trees and didn't see anything.

Is this normal for these bikes at highway speed?
Something I should check?

Maybe toughen up a little?
Knobbies at the rear have a history of feeling loosy-goosy at the rear. Is that what you mean?....ARH

Old 03-04-2017, 05:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
Knobbies at the rear have a history of feeling loosy-goosy at the rear. Is that what you mean?....ARH
Right on ARH. The hawk's tires are great off road, but mine too are a little squirmy above 50. As the great shaman said "tires are a compromise."

Old 03-05-2017, 04:12 AM   #4

I learned the hard way what pulled thru spokes feel like and 8t will wobble the wheel. I have different bike than yours but you may want to ping your spokes right quick just to be sure.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 03-05-2017, 10:59 AM   #5

You say "Newer rider", so I must ask:

Is the rear wheel aligned properly? Chain and sprockets aligned perfectly (straight chain)? Have you changed out the fork fluid yet?

I know those little things can also make a bike feel a little extra "squirmy" when riding on the road with nobbed tires

Like BlackBike said, check your spokes

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:40 PM   #6

When -If you assembled the bike ,did you raise the front forks up into proper position ,or are they as shipped ?

Old 03-06-2017, 07:27 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies.
- Bruce- Yes, forks are all the way up
- Azhule - Rear wheel is aligned, but when I changed out the sprockets, it doesn't look like they are aligned well (see this thread: http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=18157 ). Fork fluid is on my list.
- Blackbike - I'll add check spokes to my list

I'll get to work on these and let you know. Thanks again.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:20 AM   #8

We didnt take our Hawks above 50 on the OEM rubber but doing some basic road maneuvers on them (quick stop, swerve, normal cornering) showed that they may be "road legal", they are pretty bad at road handling. Definitely check all those items as suggested. Also look into some good dual sport rubber (Shinko 700, and the 804/805 front/rear tires are good and a decent price) if you are doing any sort of road riding.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:06 AM   #9

I'd check everything to be sure its tight as has been mentioned. that includes steering head too. I did find the handling was much improved by going to a 50/50 tire instead of the stock one. but the stock ones didn't wobble as you describe. I've had no problems with speeds up to about 68.

keep us posted on fixing it. always good to learn!

Old 03-06-2017, 10:51 AM   #10

Riding knobs at higher speeds can be unsettling at first. Yes the wind can push the bike around and as a newer rider I'll bet you are tensing up and putting a death grip on the bars. This only exacerbates the problem. try loosening up and even going as far as only putting one hand on the bars while riding. Let the front end wander which is pretty typical of a narrow 21" front. Relax, relax, relax. I know, easier said than done.

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 03-06-2017, 12:09 PM   #11

mine wobbles at 60+ I feel its the nature of the stock tires and not so sport designed bike

Like my 06 r6 would start too wobble at 140+ when the tank was low on fuel lol

Old 03-06-2017, 06:29 PM   #12

i think its the actual geometry of the bike(rake and trail). i get a half a second wobble when hitting a bump going faster that 50. seems to be a high speed wobble that is induced from the geometry.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 03-06-2017, 07:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcosby View Post
i think its the actual geometry of the bike(rake and trail). i get a half a second wobble when hitting a bump going faster that 50. seems to be a high speed wobble that is induced from the geometry.
My bike lost the wobble completely after I went with 80-20 tires.The bike is very stable at 70 mph.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:27 PM   #14

I've been thinking about different tires. My problem is I ride 90-95 street and then it goes from pavement to sugar sand or mud. Still looking at the Shinko 705's anyway. Dual sports are a compromise, right?

I still have the list of things to check but it's a long work week, and someone rear-ended my dadwagon over the weekend, so my time to tinker for the week is gone.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
I've been thinking about different tires. My problem is I ride 90-95 street and then it goes from pavement to sugar sand or mud. Still looking at the Shinko 705's anyway. Dual sports are a compromise, right?

I still have the list of things to check but it's a long work week, and someone rear-ended my dadwagon over the weekend, so my time to tinker for the week is gone.
Yes, I would put less extreme tires on it, for your uses. But, remember, all tires are a compromise. You will lose some/most of your current tires ability in sugar sand, if you change.....ARH