Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2023, 03:35 PM   #1

Tbr7 questions

First bike in over 30 years. I picked up my permit, bike being delivered soon. I hear about .jetting. the carb.... is this something I really need to do? Not even sure what it is.any other things I should think about doing?
Gonna be a big learning curve but really looking forward to it. Mostly on road riding. Some light off road.

Old 04-19-2023, 03:54 PM   #2

After changing to proper motor oil, then I would say jetting is the next order of business. If you don't live at really high elevation, then a 105, or 110 main will make a world of difference. Your pilot jet is probably a 36, and will be alright. You can adjust you needle with very thin shims, but it's not really necessary. Your three bowl screws are tamper resistant, and you will have to cut a slot in each to remove them with a flat screwdriver. If you don't want to go through the trouble, then you can buy a VM26 Mikuni clone, or a Nibbi PE28FL, and get a carb that mates to the flange on your stock intake. The VM26 is more like your stock carb, and in my opinion a better choice if you want to use the stock air box. People evidently have gotten the stock airbox tube over the Nibbi, but I personally could not. The stock PZ30, and the VM 26 both have about a 42 mm connection, and the PE28 has a 48mm. If you have the cable operated choke on your TBR7, you won't be able to use it with the VM, or PE carbs.

Old 04-19-2023, 09:26 PM   #3

yep what hillbilly said

Old 04-19-2023, 09:32 PM   #4

You are going to get great information about mod'ing the TBR7, I love mine. I would just suggest two things to do immediately, 1. Change That OIL and 2. Enjoy it stock for a while, during your break in. this way you can ride it easy and then when you do upgrades, you better appreciate your efforts.

Ride Safe!!!!

Testing a YouTube Channel

Old 04-20-2023, 09:43 AM   #5

I would not recommend a PE carb to a newbie. Stick to a vm26 30mm or pz30 style carb. Myself or a couple others can give you nearly perfect jetting setups for various mods and elevations. Then the only real adjustment needed on your end is setting the idle mixture
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-21-2023, 11:25 AM   #6

We have the TBR7 well covered here.

Go to the Hawk Resource "sticky" at the top of the contents and check that out. The same engine so use that data.

There are actually four things to do before you ride your new bike.

1. Check every bolt and fastener on the machine including fluid levels and brake adjustment.

2. Change the oil to a good Motorcycle rated oil. The shipping oil is crap, it's been tested.
3. Check your valve clearance. It is never correct from the factory.
4. Rejet the carb to a 110-112-115 main jet. What came in mine was an 85.

I never could get my stock carb to preform correctly so a carb change was a quick and necessary decision. The bike was totally useless as it came.

Apparently these machines vary hugely out of the box with some barely able to pull themselves down the road and others going 900mph box stock with a 300 pound man on board.

Old 04-21-2023, 03:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by krat View Post
We have the TBR7 well covered here.

Go to the Hawk Resource "sticky" at the top of the contents and check that out. The same engine so use that data.

There are actually four things to do before you ride your new bike.

1. Check every bolt and fastener on the machine including fluid levels and brake adjustment.

2. Change the oil to a good Motorcycle rated oil. The shipping oil is crap, it's been tested.
3. Check your valve clearance. It is never correct from the factory.
4. Rejet the carb to a 110-112-115 main jet. What came in mine was an 85.

I never could get my stock carb to preform correctly so a carb change was a quick and necessary decision. The bike was totally useless as it came.

Apparently these machines vary hugely out of the box with some barely able to pull themselves down the road and others going 900mph box stock with a 300 pound man on board.
I would add
-Check chain tension
-Change out Brake fluid (it's also crap and possibly over/under filled) (you'll need this; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...48W2FO3V&psc=1)

Old 04-21-2023, 06:31 PM   #8

Once you fine tune it, it is an awesome bike.
You can choose your mods.

Like it or not, the stock carb is usable, but wasnt for me after tinkering.....due to the mods!

Go over everything to make sure the bike is safe, but also to be well aware of it...get to know it

Post any problems or issues here....obviously many can help

Good Luck!

Old 04-21-2023, 11:42 PM   #9

Yep still running stock carb.

Old 04-22-2023, 06:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraphet View Post
First bike in over 30 years. I picked up my permit, bike being delivered soon. I hear about .jetting. the carb.... is this something I really need to do? Not even sure what it is.any other things I should think about doing?
Gonna be a big learning curve but really looking forward to it. Mostly on road riding. Some light off road.
FWIW, I would recommend digging into the original carb, learn how to rejet the carb. I got the original carb jet right, and didn't need to replace it anyway.

Old 04-25-2023, 06:23 AM   #11

got the bike

Thanks for all the info. I am going to wait a bit for mods. I will start researching more on the carb. Took abit to get it started.
I do have a another question.
I changed the oil and used 10w40 motorcycle oil. Manuel says 15w40 but i could not find 15w40 for wet clutch. Will the 10w40 be ok for the break in period?
I had it idling for only 15 mins or so. no heavy revving it was getting late.
took me abit to figure out how to start it cold.

Old 04-25-2023, 07:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraphet View Post
Thanks for all the info. I am going to wait a bit for mods. I will start researching more on the carb. Took abit to get it started.
I do have a another question.
I changed the oil and used 10w40 motorcycle oil. Manuel says 15w40 but i could not find 15w40 for wet clutch. Will the 10w40 be ok for the break in period?
I had it idling for only 15 mins or so. no heavy revving it was getting late.
took me abit to figure out how to start it cold.
10w40 motorcycle oil is fine. In a hot climate 20w50 is the better.option.

The 15w40 recommended to use is Shell Rotella T4 or other similar universal/diesel spec oil. It's what they were intended to run and all my bike has ever known. Specifically I run Rotella T6 15w40, which is a full synthetic, and it loves that stuff.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-25-2023, 10:34 AM   #13

I will add that the Walmart brand Super Tech brand V Twin oil comes in 20w-50 , and is reasonably priced. The Walmart that I frequent also has oil in the sports section, because of the popularity of 4 wheelers, and dirt bikes.

Old 04-25-2023, 03:29 PM   #14

get a fork brace, the front brake is way too grabby for the spindly forks. the brace lets you grab a massive handfull of brakes without them twisting
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 04-26-2023, 11:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
If you have the cable operated choke on your TBR7, you won't be able to use it with the VM
You can remove the cable mechanism from the stock carb and put it on the new one. Takes a little fiddling with it put it's easily doable. I wanted the handle bar choke lever to remain functional. However with the new carb I rarely ever use it since it always fires right up