Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2023, 05:31 PM   #1

Modding The TBR7

Early last year I won a contest where the prize was a 2021Tao Tao TBR7. I enjoyed this bike as is for the riding season. Now I'm letting the mod bug bite. So far I have an aftermarket exhaust at first I bought the cheap VM26 clone carb now I bit the bullet and bought the NIBBI performance carb I've also bought a better chain and a 16T font sprocket and the digital dash. I have a few more mods I would like to get so stay tuned. I will also give my opinion on performance gains with the NIBBI carb and exhaust.

Old 01-31-2023, 05:42 PM   #2

I just wanted everyone to know with the NIBBI carb you will need the NIBBI intake manifold and you will have to cut the manifold a bit so the carb and air filter will clear the frame at least on the TBR7.

Old 01-31-2023, 05:47 PM   #3

Have fun with the mods. Nibbi also make the PE28FL and PE30FL which has the same flange mount as the stock carb.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Ca...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-31-2023, 06:18 PM   #4

Would anyone have any other mmods that are worthwile?

Old 02-01-2023, 10:51 AM   #5

I have my TBR7 set up similar to yours, but I plan to start doing some internal mods soon, and will be installing a fork brace. The fork brace evidently makes a noticable improvement, at least on the Hawks. Dan, and Jerry, and I'm sure several others have them. I should have had my engine mods done, but things have came up. They will be a home port job on the head, a thinner gasket, and maybe shaving the head a little, also a 4 degree advance key, and a longer duration cam, with roller tip followers.. My bike is actually pretty satisfactory on power now. I am running a 17/46, and have no need for any higher gearing. My stock speed odometer is accurate, which is evidently not common, but the bike runs 55 at about 6,700 rpm, according to the cheap little inductive tach I have. I also intend to install an oil cooler. There are other small mods that people do to these bikes like folding shifter, and wider foot pegs. Some go with better handle bars as well. I will add that it's not a bad idea to replace your rear sprocket studs with Honda studs.

Last edited by Bill Hilly; 02-01-2023 at 10:31 PM.

Old 02-02-2023, 03:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
I have my TBR7 set up similar to yours, but I plan to start doing some internal mods soon, and will be installing a fork brace. The fork brace evidently makes a noticable improvement, at least on the Hawks. Dan, and Jerry, and I'm sure several others have them. I should have had my engine mods done, but things have came up. They will be a home port job on the head, a thinner gasket, and maybe shaving the head a little, also a 4 degree advance key, and a longer duration cam, with roller tip followers.. My bike is actually pretty satisfactory on power now. I am running a 17/46, and have no need for any higher gearing. My stock speed odometer is accurate, which is evidently not common, but the bike runs 55 at about 6,700 rpm, according to the cheap little inductive tach I have. I also intend to install an oil cooler. There are other small mods that people do to these bikes like folding shifter, and wider foot pegs. Some go with better handle bars as well. I will add that it's not a bad idea to replace your rear sprocket studs with Honda studs.
the fork brace mod is well work it, you can brake as hard as you want without the forks twisting
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 02-03-2023, 08:49 AM   #7

Change that stock chain. My opinion: https://mymotorcycleblog.com/upgrade-tbr7-chain/

HTH and congrats on the bike!

Testing a YouTube Channel

Old 02-03-2023, 12:14 PM   #8

Get some good tires, didn't like the stock ones that came on bike. Put knobby tires on mine,now can ride any time. Stock tires will just slide right under you in wet or muddy ground. But if you just going to ride on road mostly might be good. Did not feel safe on wet roads.

Old 02-03-2023, 05:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
Get some good tires, didn't like the stock ones that came on bike. Put knobby tires on mine,now can ride any time. Stock tires will just slide right under you in wet or muddy ground. But if you just going to ride on road mostly might be good. Did not feel safe on wet roads.
I have been caught in the rain a couple times on my TBR7 with stock "50/50" tires, and I think they do pretty good on wet pavement. I now have a Hawk with the stock knobby tires , but haven't had it in anything except pavement, and gravel, but I can tell the stock 50/50 tires on my TBR7 are far better on the pavement, and seem to be just as good in gravel as the knobby tires on my Hawk. I know you are always supposed to use front, and back brakes together, but I often just use my rear especially on secondary roads, and gravel, and I quickly learned that a knobby is a LOT more apt to skid than a 50/50. I think that for me personally, the only advantage a knobby could offer would be on soft ground.

Old 02-03-2023, 06:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
I have been caught in the rain a couple times on my TBR7 with stock "50/50" tires, and I think they do pretty good on wet pavement. I now have a Hawk with the stock knobby tires , but haven't had it in anything except pavement, and gravel, but I can tell the stock 50/50 tires on my TBR7 are far better on the pavement, and seem to be just as good in gravel as the knobby tires on my Hawk. I know you are always supposed to use front, and back brakes together, but I often just use my rear especially on secondary roads, and gravel, and I quickly learned that a knobby is a LOT more apt to skid on gravel than a 50/50. I think that for me personally, the only advantage a knobby could offer would be on soft ground.
I have a pair of original tires I took off my Storm within the first 150 miles. They are same Yuanxing tires that came on his TBR7, as I recall (we sold the TBR7). Sizes are 110/90-17 and 90/90-19. If we lived within an hour or so, it would be nice. Shipping is a problem since we don't get the sweet deals that vendors seem to get on shipping. I am in KC. Yes, I still have the tubes since I got Michelin super thick Airstops when I put the Tusk rear and front knobby on the Storm.

Name:  Tires.JPG
Views: 316
Size:  226.7 KB

I should put these on Craigslist, but have been lazy even though I took pics!

Old 02-04-2023, 12:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
I'm about ready to put new tires on my TBR7, what did you get as replacements?
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 02-04-2023, 12:27 PM   #12

4.10x 17 on back,and about the same size as front was. thinking a little bit wider than stock. made a biggest thing i've done to my TBR7. But i live in the woods and don't ride roads very much. Just closer to good thur the woods ,fields,logging roads.