Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2014, 03:16 PM   #1

Muffler and Exhaust Pipe

My exhaust pipe and muffler are kinda faded out in color. I am the 2nd owner of the bike and Im thinking of taking off the pipe and muffler. I believe it comes off in two pieces.

If I was going to paint the pipe and muffler could anyone give me some good tips in paints? Should I just use the BBQ paint or does anyone have any better ideas, also since I have the pipe and muffler off the bike, would it be a wise idea to clean the inside and does it really need it and if I do how do I clean it properly without wrecking anything.

If I do take the pipe off the engine, I see that there is a rubber seal that's bolted the pipe on. Would I have to replace this rubber piece or can I use the same piece once the paint/cleaning is done?

Any tips on doing this properly would be great,

Thanks to everyone for the tips.

Kevin

Old 11-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #2

BBQ paint will work. It may burn off at the engine end. When you remove it from the engine there is a copper crush gasket. These can be found at Honda. Tell them you have an 1983 XR200.

You don't need to clean the inside.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:35 PM   #3

Pipe with a copper gasket, I dont see it.

I got the BBQ paint, but when you said don't bother cleaning the inside why did you say that, it doesn't need to be cleaned? It does look pretty good inside as far as I can see inside the pipe. I don't see a copper crushed gasket when I took it off the engine part. The exhaust pipe come out in two pieces. At the end of the pipe in the middle were I took it apart in two pieces there does look like there is some kind of different thing attached to the pipe for the connections. Looks greyish if you know what I mean.

Im going to sand the out side of the pipe where I see some rust happening, then paint with BBQ paint.

Thanks, and tips would be appreciated.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:28 AM   #4

You can clean and paint the inside that you can reach. The connection at the two pipes had some kind of muffler paste on mine too. I am nut sure what it is called.

If you didn't have a gasket at the engine you need one. It will leak air there and cause the bike to backfire and not run right.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:26 AM   #5

Often the exhaust gasket will still be there stuck in the exhaust port, invisible, coated with black carbon. A small screwdriver or hook of some kind will be needed to pry it out.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:37 PM   #6

Good point.