Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2016, 12:31 PM   #1

Hawk High/Low beam switch

So last night as I was riding home my headlight switch melted.

My high beam still works, but my low beam flickers on and off as the switch vibrates. I opened it up and the switch apparently got hot enough to melt the plastic case and push the contacts apart.

Does anyone know where I could just get the switch? Im no stranger to soldering and I feel that the whole left side assembly is going to be costly.

Thanks everyone!

Old 06-03-2016, 12:45 PM   #2

Thumbs Up

since its a hawk,search here for Adam's parts website and contact him. rps parts prices are pretty reasonable.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 06-03-2016, 01:00 PM   #3

email some photos to rickypowersports@gmail.com

Old 06-03-2016, 01:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Rinkleff View Post
email some photos to rickypowersports@gmail.com
Thanks Adam, I actually just sent you guys an email about it. What do you need pictures of?

Old 06-03-2016, 04:24 PM   #5

This is the problem guy,

I temporarily just jumpered the two wires. I wouldn't recommend anyone do this for an extended period of time, because now both the low beam and high beam will be active if the switch is pushed, possibly overloading the one ground wire.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:07 PM   #6

Your fix was innovative and fit the need. Well done

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Last edited by dpl096; 06-04-2016 at 10:59 AM.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:03 AM   #7

I had kind of an opposite behavior early with my Hawk. When I would turn on the low beam for an extended period of time, I wouldn't have the high beam. If I turned the lights off for a minute or two, it would come back. If I started in high beam, I could switch between the two settings all day long, no problem.

It seems to have gone away by now - I'm coming up on 1500 miles - but that was really the only flaky issue I had originally.

I'm seldom out at night and I always run with the high beam during daylight, so I think I finally burned it into the switch. Guess it all depends which direction the switch melts.