Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2016, 08:42 PM   #1

Recommendation: Harbor Freight Bolt Assortment

Hey everyone! Ive found this set extremely handy if I need a replacement fastener on my Hawk.

These are not the best quality bolts, but they work in a pinch! They work great for things like exhaust bolts/nuts, and fairing bolts.

http://m.harborfreight.com/725-piece...ray-67624.html

$6 and you can easily get 20% off and a free item.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:20 PM   #2

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll pick one up next time I swing by HF...

2016 Hawk 250 - Black
All my mods are documented on my Blog!

My Blog | Google+ | Twitter | Facebook

Old 05-28-2016, 10:50 PM   #3

I've used a few of their bolts and their sheet metal screws and I have to vote no based on my experience. 1/4" bolts with 10mm heads and they snap like toothpicks. Sheet metal screws that go bald before biting, maybe they'd work on plastic or wood, not steel. The ones I got were in a large 4 drawer cabinet, maybe other hardware sets are not made of butter.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:58 PM   #4

I took a few different fasteners (that I wanted to have bulk quantities of) into my local bearing shop and bought handfuls of stainless socket head cap screws. A very good upgrade, indeed. Price was low enough to not think about it any further.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-29-2016, 10:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by '16 TT250 View Post
I've used a few of their bolts and their sheet metal screws and I have to vote no based on my experience. 1/4" bolts with 10mm heads and they snap like toothpicks. Sheet metal screws that go bald before biting, maybe they'd work on plastic or wood, not steel. The ones I got were in a large 4 drawer cabinet, maybe other hardware sets are not made of butter.
I agree, they are crappy bolts. It is nice to have on hand though. I mean, the max torque for a 4.8 bolt around that size is 4-10 ft lbs.

So far ive lost both exhaust header nuts, a fairing bolt, an exhaust mount bolt, a carb nut, and some other ones. They've worked great.

I wish i had a place to get cheaper allen head screws, the only way around here to get them is pretty pricey.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:39 AM   #6

Check local industrial supply shops; they often carry stainless socket head cap screws. The benefit is that one allen wrench will take care of most of your needs.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-30-2016, 01:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mq1991 View Post
I agree, they are crappy bolts. It is nice to have on hand though. I mean, the max torque for a 4.8 bolt around that size is 4-10 ft lbs.

So far ive lost both exhaust header nuts, a fairing bolt, an exhaust mount bolt, a carb nut, and some other ones. They've worked great.

I wish i had a place to get cheaper allen head screws, the only way around here to get them is pretty pricey.
The 1/4" bolts I tried to use snapped using a stubby ratchet being wrist twisted and I'm nowhere near buff.

I've used their SS sheet metal and machine screws (they're 18-8 I believe) and they seem good.

Old 05-30-2016, 01:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Check local industrial supply shops; they often carry stainless socket head cap screws. The benefit is that one allen wrench will take care of most of your needs.
Some grades of stainless fasteners aren't good in some uses, stresses should be considered before choosing the material.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:49 AM   #9

I agree, but I can't think of a single application on a China bike where they're not compatible.