Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2017, 08:56 PM   #1

just got my 13 tooth

It took a whopping 2 days to get to VT (thanks CSC), and another 30 minutes install/chain adjust.... 10 minutes for the sprocket. That includes listening to the radio, sipping a switchback (local brew) and wiping the bike down.

Now with any luck I'll have a little more 'umphh' up the hills around here, and better off road/dirt road'abiltity. If it were'nt for the torque wrench and blue loktite it'd be an easy one to take on a road trip.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:36 PM   #2

Muffler/Gearing

Kind of a double post but I mounted another muffler on the RX3 today. I stole it off of Mrs. 2LZ TT250. Between this improved breathing and the new (14/45) gearing, I couldn't be happier. I think it's finally set up the way I've been wanting it. The gearing gave it some longer legs but eliminated that extended clutch slippage in first gear of the stock gearing. It's really amazing what one tooth can make when used for the right application.
I need to order a black muffler today and get Mrs. 2LZ TT250 back together.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Last edited by 2LZ; 05-26-2020 at 12:25 PM.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:11 PM   #3

New GPS Mount

At the recent WV 'Madness' I saw that both Tim and Dan had mounted their GPS above the speedo/tach. That appeared to be a much better location than mine (just above the triple tree and bars). They could look at the GPS without taking their eyes off the road...I could not. So...a couple rainy days and some scrap aluminum led to my version of their idea:
two mounting holes drilled in the stock windscreen bracket
a bracket to connect between the windscreen mount and my GPS mount
looking like this
after multiple fit/adjust/trim
it's a tight fit but everything clears the windscreen

and it appears to solve my problem. You might notice that I already had the GPS mount fitted with anti-vibration mounts. Now when the rain finally stops I plan to try out this new rig. Wish me luck!

Peter Y.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:36 PM   #4

I had arguably the best maintenance day I've ever had, largely due to atmosphere, partly to mechanical success (knock on wood). I'm parked in front of a guest house in the tiny village of Shenako, Georgia, perched at about 7000ft with amazing mountain views. Staying here a couple days while one of my riding buddies recovers from a stomach virus, so decided to do some maintenance. The valves needed checking soon, the air filter needed checking, and I've had a tail light not working for nearly 2000 miles (luckily nobody cares about motorcycles or traffic laws in East Europe).

There also happened to be a wedding at the small church I'm parked in front of, which I got invited to watch. Interesting for a few minutes, but then I went back to work. I'm not big on faith, but after the ceremony when I had the tank off and parts everywhere, someone came up to it and said a short prayer for it to work well (maybe not that uncommon in East orthodox, as I've witnessed a priest perform a blessing of a car, even sprinkling it with holy water). Maybe it helped because the valve gaps were still within tolerance (first time!), the air filter was a little dry but amazingly clean considering I've crossed 2 different deserts and 60km of powdery dry mountain roads in the last 10 days. And I fixed the culprit of the tail light. The bike cranked up with only a little hesitation, hopefully too much dust didn't fall into the valve coverings cause the whole bike is caked pretty well.

I declined the invite to the reception party because I'm an outsider and I wasn't in the mood for heavy chacha drinking, but a little sad I did because I missed out on a sheep sacrifice. But probably better off for not because my guest house mother would have been quite upset if I showed up for dinner with a small appetite.

Hopefully the bike is top shape because there is only one way out of this area and it's 9800ft with very steep climbs and powdery loose switchback turns. But this far the rx3 has performed admirably, keeping up with African twins, teneres, and others, although the shinko knobbies are a considerable advantage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170924_164254-1328x747-664x374.jpg (67.5 KB, 413 views)
File Type: jpg 20170924_142239_crop_863x597-647x448.jpg (84.7 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg 20170921_174923_crop_1014x640-760x480.jpg (79.9 KB, 398 views)

Old 09-24-2017, 09:29 PM   #5

>pyoung

This is most excellent mod for your gps...impressive..

So you made the black part in your hand and the silver part that attaches to the top of it?

I did a quick and nontechechnical mod for my arm ends today and got out on the road today. Heat not so bad mid to low 90's. (Pay no attention to the funky double nut deal, just what I had on hand...never throw anything away)

Great job guys pyoung, and spectacular pics RC !

Name:  20170924_201647.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  86.6 KB
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 09-25-2017, 10:11 AM   #6

yes, made all the metal parts. I'm going to fab up the Mark III today so I can adjust the screen angle a bit better and also add a sun screen. Glare on the GPS screen makes it difficult to read in some situations. This is a common problem, no matter where/how you mount the unit so I am only trying to minimize the glare.